• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 22lr conversions ?'s for those who have them

ggmanning

Bird Dog
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2010
    Rural South
    Looking into a conversion. I want to use one practicing and plinking. The kids will shoot it also. I would like to shoot it suppressed at times. I am looking more art a commander sized slide which in my research I have only found the Marvel.....just a preference, I would go full sized if they work better. Looking for experience with them and which ones will shoot better with regular ammo like Wolf match vs higher velocity rounds. Share your experiences with what you have. Thanks

Re: 1911 22lr conversions ?'s for those who have them

I've got a Tactical Solutions full size upper, runs fine and is accurate. Wasn't cheap and took three or four months to get, but totally worth it!

photo-12.jpg

1911fan

I won a kimber a few years back , took it out once. I've promised to give it
    to a friend next time I get down to see him. Shoots fine with good ammo. The
    bulk stuff will give you wonderful clearing practice. Which isn't all back I guess.
    The ruger 22 is a way better option imo.

I have a few Rugers that we shoot a lot. I want a conversion to practice with the 1911 platform. I like the Tacsol 1911fan because with the steel slide it would be the same weight as my carry gun. From what I have read the Tacsol and Marvels are pretty relible compared to others.

For me it was nothing close to shooting the 45. Maybe with a steel slide it would
    be closer but for me practicing with a 22 is practicing with a 22.

Dawson precision has a marrel that has slidelock .
    evryone at steel challege uses marvel or Tactical Solutions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me it was nothing close to shooting the 45. Maybe with a steel slide it would
    be closer but for me practicing with a 22 is practicing with a 22. </div></div>

I have no doubt that is true. I am looking for muscle memory work....draw and shoot,etc. That and just a gun I don't have. My other main reason for a conversion is introducing the kids to the 1911. We shoot a lot and I figured it is a good way to work them up to larger calibers and full sized pistols.

I was going to do the same thing a couple months back. Then I found the ATI 1911 in 22. It was only like 300 at my local shop and is already threaded to take a mosquito adapter. seemed better to have a complete gun than switching my 45 slide on and off at the range.
    I have ran like 1000 thru it with no issues shoots really good. not as ammo picky as most little 22's. still not as good as my colt ace

I've done the math, and if you reload you can shoot the real thing for a long time when you consider the cost of a quality. 22 upper and decent. 22 ammoto run in it.

i have a Kmber that I run on my series 1 Gold combat and I could not be more happy with it. I run hundreds of rounds of value pack 22 LR through it with no issues. The only think i don't like it the loading of the magazines. it seems there could be more room in the mag thatn 10 rounds.

I also have 2 Ruger Mark II 22 and they are awesome as well. but serve a whole different purpose. for muscle memory and real practice shooting your carry or dutie weapon the conversion is the way to go. I hae no experience with any other 1911 22 conversion other than the kimber I have.

Unit 1. Well worth the money. I was shooting a 8" gong at 100yds with wolf match. And some help from a buddy and a spotting scope. We were averaging 7/10 hits.

I am so happy with it I have sold the rest of my.22lr pistols.

Only drawback so far is with a suppressor you get a lot of blow back in your face. Safety glasses are a absolute must.

Purchased a Advantage Arms kit for my LB 1911. Would like to get a threaded barrel for it some time. I have not had any issues with any of my AA kits. My .22 kits like the CCI or winchester 40 grain ammo.

I had a marvel and a Ceiner, and also a Kimber Ceiner clone.

The Kimber had better fit and finish as well as sights, but came with a crappy magazine, so Ceiner is better than Kimber.

Marvel is better than both but not for training value because the sights do not reciprocate- so it is way easier to shoot a Marvel more rapidly than you would be able to aquire sights on a Ceiner or real 1911.

The marvel also won't fit in all the holsters because the top of the slide is bigger.

The marvel however is extremely reliable, and is also very accurate.

<span style="font-weight: bold">One thing to know is that 1911 lowers with lightened mainsprings will not have enough power to pop primers reliably in conversion kits. So keep that in mind if your lower is modified. </span>

You did ask about conversions, but here is an alternative:

If you are looking at having something to introduce "1911 shooting" for the kids, consider the new Sig or GSG. Yes, they are AL frame, but come with a threaded barrel and feel "just like a 1911".
    smile.gif
    Now you have a complete firearm for the kids to shoot.

I have no personal experience with the GSG, but the guys at GT Distributors swear by them. A friend has the Sig and we shot the fool out of it (500 rds?) a week ago with 0 failures, even with junk Remington bulk. Downside? mags are ~$50.

Kevin

I've had very good experience with the Marvel unit

We have a Ciener fixed sight kit w/2 mags. With a good trigger the Ciener Conversion groups very well with junk bulk ammo from Federal/Remington.

Great value for the $$. Maybe you want the adj sight model? Not really necessary imho... My uncle used to have a Pre-War ACE, maybe the floating chamber dealy is better to simulate .45acp slide action? Been a longtime since I shot that gun. The Ciener is well-fitting and damned accurate. You can pay more but likely won't find better.

I had a Ceiner for a while and it seemed rather picky about lubricant used and ammo fired. I had much better experience with the Marvel unit.

I have tried the Marvel (Original and new) Ciener and the Tactical Solutions.

The TS is the only one that runs 100%. The mags are expensive, but worth it. As a bonus, it is very accurate.

At this falls Sportsmans Team Challenge I was hitting 3 inch plates a 80 yards and 2 inch plates out to 55 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done the math, and if you reload you can shoot the real thing for a long time when you consider the cost of a quality. 22 upper and decent. 22 ammoto run in it.</div></div>

My Marvel has digested everything I've tried including cheap Remington Thunderbolt and Golden. More expensive ammo may be more accurate, but I don't see myself shooting better than the one inch at 25 the cheap stuff is capable of.