• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing "1911: A Rendering"

cwillits505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2011
Republic of Texas
"1911: A Rendering" -As named by my smithing mentor..

As of today... shes all done, my latest and favorite to date.. first 9mm 1911 ive done, and I went alittle overboard lol.. Caspian Frame and slide/no sight cuts... KKM barrel... listed below is some of the work that was done..
** I wanted the theme to be "angles" like a CAD rendering... hence the name she was given.. If you look closely you'll catch all the details.. I tried to take many of the "rounds" in a 1911 and sharply angle them off... you can see this below in the forward part of the frame, the trigger guard, the top of the slide, the front strap checkering pattern, and the barrel hood..

Highlights:

-Slide was flat topped, and then cut leaving 2 accentuated high flat tops running the length of the slide which I polished before bluing, and I decided to keep the pattern and run it down the back of the gun across the beavertail safety and mainspring housing, it was then ported/lightened with (4) .250 ports

-Novak Lo Pro Sight cuts with Kensight fully adjustable trijicon night sights

-Barrel is a match oversize ramped KKM, that was fitted and then angles were measured and cut in hood to alleve the round look... I left the band in the front to accentuate the transition back into the gun, and polished, barrel was also high polished under slide porting area.. bushing was fit, blasted to matte on front and all sides polished..

-Frame I "square checkered" on the front strap, and the forward part of frame was flat'ish and gumballed over, so I cut it flat into trigger guard, and the 45 degreed it back into the side of the slide, also angling off the trigger guard bend at 22.5/45/67.5 degree angles...

-Thats most of the major stuff, other than the technical mumbo jumbo, blending every little part together, etc... I media blasted and did all polishing prep work this week and blued yesterday.. wish I had better picture taking skills lol.. hope you guys like her

e11a321e-5c71-4491-9f47-797593989d66_zpsd8a089d5.jpg

IMG_0351_zps0562ada4.jpg

IMG_0350_zpsad2aff1c.jpg

IMG_0348_zps8bf64253.jpg

IMG_0346_zpsad3b3fd9.jpg

IMG_0345_zpsa06db0ed.jpg

I like most of it. I just can't like the porting. Now, the two 2 accentuated high flat tops (flutes) are the cats ass. I really like the look.

Turned out great man. It's the little stuff that makes the difference and you nailed it.

Excellent job! Looks like that square cut checkering should really do the job, I have never seen that before.

While I totally agree that it looks quite impressive, the important question is "How does it shoot?"

As long as it is comfortable, convenient, and repetitively accurate, then you're on a roll. Range report?

Only range report so far is the test fire .. Which went extremely well, right out of the gate she ate 3 kinds of ammo like a champ, not a hiccup.. Blasted off about 30-40 rounds and called it good.. I didn't get a chance to get a grouping yet as I just finished and leave for GA this Saturday for pistol team camp for a week, but soon as I get back I should be able to rest it and group it.. That said, our shop tolerance is under 1.5" 10 shot group at 50 yards out of all of our 1911's, and this was built to the same specs internally as all the rest.. So I have no doubt she will perform :) ... Again guys, thanks a lot for the compliments and really glad you like her.. Means a lot getting compliments on this forum..

Last edited:
That is a beautiful pistol, congratulations finishing it and the quality of work appears to be top notch. I'm not a fan of ported pistols, but it's not my gun. You did a beautiful job on it. Have you shot any groups via Ransom with it?