• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1911 aluminum/lightweight frame ?

LibertyArms

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
Southwest PA
i have built a few tactical type rail models, but by the time im done they get quite heavy when comparing to the polymer frame pistols of the same caliber. I know this is the way it is supposed to be - steel to plastic, but was wandering if anyone had any aluminum or light weight frames that they put any abuse on. How did they hold up, good for a larger amount of shooting. I would want a full size frame, as to bobtail it. It would be in 45acp. I have never owned or shot one for a long period of time.

Thanks

Re: 1911 aluminum/lightweight frame ?

We ran across several of them a few years ago. Bought a group and built up two pistols. One was a dedicated 22 the other a 45. Both ran good and were a lot lighter, but the 45 frame developed a crack at the slide stop hole after about 2k rounds. Honestly had been expecting some peening or galling, and we were suprised by the crack. We ran recoil buffers and all, but the group opinion was that it was the return to battery shock that caused the crack, not the recoil. My husband then shot it to failure and sure enough the crack travelled all the way through the frame and the dust cover portion was moved FORWARD, distorting the trigger guard.

Don't recall the maker on the frames, but he got them from the same guy we got all our doublestar stuff from. As 22's they were awesome.

Just our experiences, YMMV.

Don't know about aftermarket, but I have a Colt Officers model, with many many rounds ( well over 5k )that is still holding up. It got submerged in a flood and I am presntly rebuilding it. I know you specified full size to bobtail it, but you may consider getting a LW alloy Colt and starting with that instead.

I have a 1911sc that has eaten a few cases of primers without issue. I am somewhat of a horsepower junkie too. if the scandium frames are junk, mine sure does not know it.

Give Rick at Uselton Arms in Franklin TN a call.

He has aluminum frames with explosion bonded 304 stainless rails, so you get the longer life without the weight.

Tell him Ernie @ Red Creek told you about it, since they are not commercially availble yet he'll wonder how you knew.

One thing I might suggest,since you haven't shot one a lot, is to try someone elses first. They are not nearly as pleasant to shoot as the full size 1911's, nasty lil buggers to fire all afternoon.

If it is a shooter, not a carry gun, you'll likely be happy(er) with the big 1911. Not trying to dissuade you, but.....

All aluminum is not created equal...

Colt seems to have figured out the aluminum alloy durability issue, although when I started with the Commander there were no others to choose from.

Still, I run identical Commanders, the steel frame on the range and the aluminum frame for carry. They are identical pistols except for the frame...I use grease on the frame rails, and there is no wear issue over 20 years.

I haven't had either one crack, but if a frame does develop a hairline crack, just have it tig welded before it destroys itself...it's no big deal.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We ran across several of them a few years ago. Bought a group and built up two pistols. One was a dedicated 22 the other a 45. Both ran good and were a lot lighter, but the 45 frame developed a crack at the slide stop hole after about 2k rounds. Honestly had been expecting some peening or galling, and we were suprised by the crack. We ran recoil buffers and all, but the group opinion was that it was the return to battery shock that caused the crack, not the recoil. My husband then shot it to failure and sure enough the crack travelled all the way through the frame and the dust cover portion was moved FORWARD, distorting the trigger guard.

Don't recall the maker on the frames, but he got them from the same guy we got all our doublestar stuff from. As 22's they were awesome.

Just our experiences, YMMV. </div></div>

Kenda....did these frames still have the bridge across the top of the slide stop hole by the rails ? if they did, the crack usually starts there and it seems as though vibration from firing/return to battery shock will make it continue down to the slide stop pin hole. I always cut that bridge out when working on aluminum framed 1911's. I also cut the bridge out on steel framed guns. Colt stopped leaving the bridge in awhile back, after many cracked frame failures. I always smooth up(polish inside) the lower part of the slide stop cut out by the rails, and check for cracks. I've never tested one to failure though, it would take away from my ammo fort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give Rick at Uselton Arms in Franklin TN a call.

He has aluminum frames with explosion bonded 304 stainless rails, so you get the longer life without the weight.

Tell him Ernie @ Red Creek told you about it, since they are not commercially availble yet he'll wonder how you knew. </div></div>

I gave him a call. he seems to have somthing very intersting going on there. I may be holding out for this rail as the way he discribes it. Thanks for letting me know about this. Will be a few months before relase to public but may just be worth the wait.

I have a commander titanium frame from Caspian along with a full size government one with the rails that I had built. They frames are lighter for carry and to help with the additional recoil that you can experience with a lighter frame I had the Schuemann Barrel HyComp fitted to them. These barrels have integral compensators built into them with room for a front sight and both guns shoot smooth and flat.

I did have both frames and slides coated in a PVC coating and they last and look great. The other option is to have them accurailed to last.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWG818</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give Rick at Uselton Arms in Franklin TN a call.

Tell him Ernie @ Red Creek told you about it, since they are not commercially availble yet he'll wonder how you knew. </div></div>

I gave him a call. he seems to have somthing very intersting going on there. I may be holding out for this rail as the way he discribes it. Thanks for letting me know about this. Will be a few months before relase to public but may just be worth the wait.
</div></div>

I had the prototype pistol here for a few days then it went to a local writer for an article in Combat Handguns. I carry a bobtail commander (steel frame) 1911 presently and plan on switching as soon as I can get my hands on one of the explosion bonded frames.