• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1911 barrel bushing compensators...

Re: 1911 barrel bushing compensators...

I voye gimmick. My dad tried them decades ago and found that they didn't do much. I still have a bushing comp laying around somewhere.
Before dad died last year he had been making comps for Ruger MkII .22 pistols. We saw what it took to make an effective comp, and the bushing comps don't have it.

Jim

I think it'd work, but the ammo would have to be loaded for the specific comp. That means the slowest burning powder that will work, and lots of it. It'd probably work better at higher pressures as well, so obviously .45 ACP isn't the best choice if you want an effective comp.

I had a few about 10 years ago. The coolest looking things. Made me feel incredibly tactical. Once I actually learned how to shoot, I discovered that the only real benefit was the added weight to help with muzzle flip. A small few provide a little relief with gas redirect but most just make it worse because of the poor fit to the barrel which is much more important to accuracy in a 1911.

A match bushing will provide better accuracy and you can achieve the same recoil offset by changing the recoil springs and/or a heavier guide rod. As stated, there are a few that are actually made well but the great majority are just junk and will hurt accuracy. The Wilson is probably better than most but it will not perform like a real compensator.

I must admit that I really do not like the Brownell's type comps. I perfer something well done like:

Well-fit Bushing barreled guns such as:

nh-predator1_2_xl.jpg

nh-predator1_6_xl.jpg

If you desire a comp consider something like:

t3-comp1.jpg

t3-comp5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a few about 10 years ago. The coolest looking things. Made me feel incredibly tactical. Once I actually learned how to shoot, I discovered that the only real benefit was the added weight to help with muzzle flip. A small few provide a little relief with gas redirect but most just make it worse because of the poor fit to the barrel which is much more important to accuracy in a 1911.

A match bushing will provide better accuracy and you can achieve the same recoil offset by changing the recoil springs and/or a heavier guide rod. As stated, there are a few that are actually made well but the great majority are just junk and will hurt accuracy. The Wilson is probably better than most but it will not perform like a real compensator. </div></div>

This pretty much sums it up.

I prefer my bushings to be fitted.

Kind of what I figured,
thanks everyone for your insight,

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must admit that I really do not like the Brownell's type comps. I perfer something well done like:

Well-fit Bushing barreled guns such as:

nh-predator1_2_xl.jpg

nh-predator1_6_xl.jpg

If you desire a comp consider something like:

t3-comp1.jpg

t3-comp5.jpg
</div></div>

That's not a comp; those are ports.

Actually, they are hybrid comp ports - this is at least what the company calls them. It refers to compensator not compensated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Specifically, a "compensator" is a device at the muzzle of a handgun, which device has holes or ports intended to redirect, for the purposes of reducing recoil and/or muzzle rise, a portion of the gases produced by the burning propellant. And "compensated" when applied to a handgun means that the handgun is fitted with a compensator.</div></div>Here is a better pic
t3-comp7.jpg

First one was on a Randall. Big medicine then...new thing! Stainless .45s!! Before Colt....Stainless bushing comps from King! Whoopy!

The problem is not the bushing issue. Even when the bushing is match grade fit (and Goodness knows we tightened until it began to gall at bushing and lock), the issue is that the .45 barrel needs room to swing up. It is that arc that spells doom for the comp/bushing. In order for a compensator to really work well, the tolerances between bullet path and side walls whin the port section actually need to be quite tight on a .45, much more than one would think. To let that barrel arc, well the internal diameter of the comp is too wide. In the comp/bush? Its all gas blow by and it is...and was...a non starter for compensation...accuracy? Absolutely, why not?

By the time we started porting Detonics (3") at the barrel/frame end, well that went out the window too. Instant night blindness, l-o-u-d and spit in the face nasties. Going to port for comp? Go normal length slide.