• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 1911 GUNSMITH

TKellogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
South West Michigan
I need a good 1911 smith to fix a bad beavertail grip safety install. The area will probably need to be cut off and completely redone. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: 1911 GUNSMITH

mars armament
rogers precision
black ops precision
john harrison
jason burton
test yost
CT brian
dave berryhill
chris james (combat precision)
cylinder and slide
bob rogers

that should give you a start, i know that chris james has a fairly good turnaround right now, a few of the others do not. 1911 smiths are EVERYWHERE right now. the above are the ones i trust there are a many other good ones but i would start with those. just my .02

the ones above are some of the best in teh world. harrison has a 4 year wait time for full house guns, so does burton and yost. rogers is one of the best machinists you can find. the above smiths are all tier one guys. Mike at black ops has two yost apprentices working for him and backs his stuff up completely. as do most of the above smiths.

Eugene ("Stoney"), owner of Bar Sto Precision is across the field from us.

I don't know chit about 1911's but I know he does! Makes some pretty cool stuff over there. One of his employees is a big time IDPA yada yada guy so I'm guessing they know what they are doing.

You might have to wait as there's literally piles upon piles of guns that he's working on though.

C.

Just curious, who attempted to install the grip safety? They are pretty simple and straight forward things to install/fit and if youre sauce is weak and you use a jig, even easier. But not everyone will agree.

Anywho... something to think about. A top notch molester of 1911's gets primo money to take a piss. The shop time to work on a virgin gun or modify well executed custom work is as pricey as any gun plumbing you can get done. Imagine what Ted and the boys at Heirloom would want to fix a fudged up frame?

You might stroll over to http://www.fosterind.com/ or similar sites and look at what it would cost you to just replace the frame. It might be cheaper in the end if your frame needs the horns rewelded to just replace it. Keep the old frame as a dedicated 22 and study up and build your own pistol on the new one. The experience is awesome, and will give you a greater appreciation for John Browning's legacy.

Just one girls $0.02.

Well, I hate to admit it but I tried to do the job. I bought the jig and everything but somehow took too much off or something. It just looks like sh*t.
I haven't got any firm quotes on the job but if it is more cost effective to replace the frame then it is what it is.

http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/

this is the link for David Sams, He is a retired US Army marksmanship gunsmith, He works on anything that the AMU shoots. 1911, M9, AR platforms and the like, not only will they look good they will shoot.

mars armament
rogers precision
black ops precision
john harrison
jason burton
ted yost
CT brian
dave berryhill
chris james (combat precision)
cylinder and slide
bob rogers

+1 this list is killer smiths. I have personal experience of custom and reliability work with:

mars armament, john harrison, ted yost, and CT brian.

I would gladly send a 1911 to any of them again.

I received a quote from mars armament...$475 OUCH!!! If I get one more like that I'll buy a foster or caspian frame and be money ahead plus I can get a recon frame and get exactly what I want.