• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors 1911 guys- Colt Combat Elite?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I have a guy offering to trade me a Colt Combat Elite. I don't currently have a 1911, have had a Kimber in the past that I liked but wasn't in love with. I wasn't planning on getting one right now, but planned on having one in the future. I was leaning towards a Colt then doing some customization/sending it out to a 1911 guru possibly. Is this a good platform as any? I know that some Colt's have a firing pin safety and they aren't as desirable, something like 70 series vs 80 series. I'm definitely no 1911 expert by any means so bear with me.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

-Bob

Re: 1911 guys- Colt Combat Elite?

What is the person looking to trade for? The Combat Elite is a nice 1911 from COLT.

It is somewhat of a collector item. Modifying it will destroy its value, and it is not a very good build-up platform in the first place.

If you want to build something, start with STi or Caspian frame/slide and do it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KMCM110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the person looking to trade for? The Combat Elite is a nice 1911 from COLT. </div></div>A like new H&K USP .45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is somewhat of a collector item. Modifying it will destroy its value, and it is not a very good build-up platform in the first place.

If you want to build something, start with STi or Caspian frame/slide and do it right. </div></div>Probably depends on if it is an original Combat Elite or one of the new ones as far as collectiblity is concerned. I thought that the Colt frames/slides were good to build from because they are forged? Weren't all the original Baer's/Wilson's/etc Colts?

That was then - this is now.

I had both the stainless and the blued Combat Targets, which are similar (not two tone like the Elite), as well as a Series 80 Gold Cup.

In the grand scheme of things, they are JUNK. Sorry to put it so bluntly.

My Series 70 as well as my pre-70 Government model are a different story. Nice pistols, and the kind of thing a good 1911 can be built up on.

If you want a quality semi-custom 1911 single stack, the STi Spartan is about the best thing going for the money right now.

_9h- good to know. If it is junk, than I will probably pass on it.

They are only collectible because they have the dancing pony on the side. Alter it and the value goes through the floor.

As a builder, they are below average. You could do much better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KMCM110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the person looking to trade for? The Combat Elite is a nice 1911 from COLT. </div></div>A like new H&K USP .45 </div></div>

If the conditions are the same - from a trade point, I believe you are fine.

I passed on the deal.

I have a series 70. Wasn't concerned with collector value and dind't know they couldn't be customized, so I have a highly customized version with a very high round count. Served me well over many years of USPSA matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a quality semi-custom 1911 single stack, the STi Spartan is about the best thing going for the money right now.
</div></div>

The Spartan is a nice pistol, but semi-custom it is not.

Nice of you to troll by, DoneZero.

Here is the description of the Spartan:

"The grip includes a checkered mainspring housing to provide a sure grip. The controls are an STI International single sided thumb safety and high-rise beavertail grip safety.

The slide features traditional 1911 styling with front and rear cocking serrations, and the barrel is 5.0" with a match grade fitted bushing. This excellent firearm comes standard with an STI square hammer, patented STI trigger system, and STI sear and disconnector for smooth, reliable function."

Just what are your specific exceptions to my describing this as a semi-custom pistol?

I don't think the Colt Combat Elite is not a good base for a custom pistol or a carry gun when tuned, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money from a stock Colt..

if you want a 1911 with a rail. get a les baer srp it will save you money in the long run.

if you dont want to spend that up front.
Springfield opertator MC or for alittle more $ the trp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think the Colt Combat Elite is not a good base for a custom pistol or a carry gun when tuned, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money from a stock Colt.. </div></div>

I was being facetious. Thirty-five years ago I was also unaware the 1911 was to big and heavy to be carried concealed (still haven't learned).

Look into Sig Sauers 1911 series. They have some excellent value 45's.Picked up a new Blackwater 1911 it is one of the most accurate out of the box 45's I have found. Almost as impressive as the Ed Brown Special Forces 45. Well worth the look.

I have a Colt Combat Elite. It has been customized with accurails and a few other things. To say it is junk, well you would just be wrong, IMHO>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Colt Combat Elite. It has been customized with accurails and a few other things. To say it is junk, well you would just be wrong, IMHO>

</div></div>

I agree.

Just depends on which CE it is, did some genius mod it with a dremel, the factory box & literature with it, does it have the optional "IDIOT MARK" just too many variables to price it for the OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice of you to troll by, DoneZero.

Here is the description of the Spartan:

"The grip includes a checkered mainspring housing to provide a sure grip. The controls are an STI International single sided thumb safety and high-rise beavertail grip safety.

The slide features traditional 1911 styling with front and rear cocking serrations, and the barrel is 5.0" with a match grade fitted bushing. This excellent firearm comes standard with an STI square hammer, patented STI trigger system, and STI sear and disconnector for smooth, reliable function."

Just what are your specific exceptions to my describing this as a semi-custom pistol? </div></div>

A semi-custom pistol is generally not something that comes off a factory line. Generally, the term means that you can "customize" the pistol you order and get it in the configuration that you desire.

The STI Spartan is a foreign-made and manufactured, assembly line, run of the mill 1911. I would imagine that if it has any hand fitting at all, it's minimal.

The rough minimum price point for a semi-custom 1911 is about $1500.

I don't own any pistol that I'd call "semi-custom," save my STI which has had some slide lightening and a few parts replaced.

When I think semi-custom, I think of one of the base model guns from Ed Brown, Les Baer, Rock River Arms, etc. I wouldn't even call the Springfield Professional a semi-custom, because to my knowledge, there are no available options.

When a single gunsmith puts his hands on it and changes at least some of the parts to your choosing, that's semi-custom.

Full custom means that you can spec everything you want from the ground up. Generally, those guns start at $2000 and go up from there.

If my definitions don't fit yours, it's understandable. It's really hard to find a bright line between a factory pistol and a semi-custom, especially when there are _some_ options available on every STI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The STI Spartan is a foreign-made and manufactured, assembly line, run of the mill 1911. I would imagine that if it has any hand fitting at all, it's minimal.
</div></div>

+1

When I was looking for a 1911 to replace my Charles Daly, I asked about the difference between the Spartan and Trojan. The simple answer was that the Trojan was made in USA, while the Spartan was assembled/fitted by STI using parts manufactured in the Phillipines. My Charles Daly is stamped "Made in Phillipines", so I figured they were probably made in the same factory? The Trojan came home with me, and I am quite pleased with my choice!

Cheers,

Bill

I agree with Downzero on the definition of "semi custom" 1911. Generally speaking, that is what most people consider a semi custom. A Spartan is in no way a semi custom. It is in pretty much the same category as a Springfield Loaded or similar.

WRM, I believe the Spartan is a Philippine made frame and slide, but the internals are STI. Made in the Philippines by Armscor, which I believe, like you said, makes the Charles Daly and also Rock Island Armory.