• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1911 Hack Job

DanW

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2007
The Alabama Part of PA
I bought an older Para Ordnance Companion two years ago used at a gun show and after carrying it for a while I wasn't totally satisfied. So, I decided to make a few changes for better concealability. After doing some internet research and getting ideas, the project quickly got out of hand and some extra things were added for cosmetic reasons and some just to see how well I could do them.
The frontstrap was too thin to checker so I had to use Wilson Combat's checkering add-on and the grip safety, grips, and main spring housing were changed to make it fit my hands better.
Here's a list of what I attempted:
Locked the grip safety in
bobbed the main spring housing
eliminated the beavertail from grip safety
frontstrap checkering
opened up the mag well more
squared off the top of the trigger guard and checkered to 20LPI
installed an ambi safety, which had to be modified to work with the grips
polished the trigger components
blended the rear of the slide, extractor, ejector and frame and cut 30LPI serrations
cut 30 LPI serrations in top of slide
narrowed rear sight
beveled all corners and edges on barrel bushing, front and bottom of slide
then I finished everything with Norrell's moly resin

This was my winter project. After working on it, I found out how poorly the fit is on these guns. I don't know if it has improved since this one was made or not. Here's before and after. Sorry for anyone with dial up.
IMG_4275-1.jpg

IMG_4274-1.jpg

IMG_4276-1.jpg

IMG_4277-1.jpg

IMG_4268-1.jpg

Re: 1911 Hack Job

Wow, that looks terrible. I like the 'before' pics much better. Since you probably don't want to be seen carrying it, if you just send it to me I'll pay shipping.
Just kidding- nicely done, and pretty ambitious. My last 1911 full build reminded me of why I pay people who are better than me at it to do that stuff.
How scratch/chip resistant is the Norrell's resin? Is it a baked-on finish? Like the two-tone too.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My last 1911 full build reminded me of why I pay people who are better than me at it to do that stuff.
</div></div>

Yeah, I know what you mean.

It was the bake on finish. Cook it for 300 degrees for an hour. It's supposed to be pretty good I guess but this is my first go with it and haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet.

He never said anything about disabling the safety. Modified to work with the grips, but not disabled.

The mods you've made are quite nice. I've never much cared for the look of a bobtail 1911, but it really works with everything else you've done. Beautiful carry pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He never said anything about disabling the safety. Modified to work with the grips, but not disabled.

The mods you've made are quite nice. I've never much cared for the look of a bobtail 1911, but it really works with everything else you've done. Beautiful carry pistol.</div></div>
Outside was correct he said.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Locked the grip safety in</div></div>
This is a single action so is does make it "less safe"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good work. curious, how do you actually checker ? </div></div>

Checkering isn't hard to do, only hard to do well. It's also very time consuming. Use a checkering file to cut the lines to the correct spacing and then follow up with a 3-square file to clean it all up and point the checkering. This was my first attempt at it if that gives you an idea of how easy it is to do a so-so job.

It's a double action.
wink.gif
Since the thumb safety works fine I don't see the point of also having a grip safety. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that John Browning originally wanted to incorporate a grip safety into his design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He never said anything about disabling the safety. Modified to work with the grips, but not disabled.

The mods you've made are quite nice. I've never much cared for the look of a bobtail 1911, but it really works with everything else you've done. Beautiful carry pistol. </div></div>

Reading and understanding what you just read is very fundamental. When you lock the safety in it is disabled and seems like a pretty dumb idea but it keeps showing up a bunch. Either way pretty nice job on the rest of the pistol, The norrels wont let you down. I have been using it for at least 5 years now and it holds up like a champ. Especially if you sandblasted the hell out of it before applying. It wont stick to a smooth surface well but when applied right the only way to get it off is sandblasting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good work. curious, how do you actually checker ? </div></div>

Checkering isn't hard to do, only hard to do well. It's also very time consuming. Use a checkering file to cut the lines to the correct spacing and then follow up with a 3-square file to clean it all up and point the checkering. This was my first attempt at it if that gives you an idea of how easy it is to do a so-so job.

It's a double action.
wink.gif
Since the thumb safety works fine I don't see the point of also having a grip safety. Correct me if I'm wrong, <span style="color: #FF0000">but I don't believe that John Browning originally wanted to incorporate a grip safety into his design.</span>

</div></div>

Im pretty sure that his original design was single action as well .....

You're right it was single action, but I just thought I remember reading something where he did not have a grip safety in his first preproduction design only the thumb safety. I may be mistaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He never said anything about disabling the safety. Modified to work with the grips, but not disabled.

The mods you've made are quite nice. I've never much cared for the look of a bobtail 1911, but it really works with everything else you've done. Beautiful carry pistol.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Locked the grip safety in</div></div>
This is a single action so is does make it "less safe" </div></div>

Actually, it is a Para LDA double action (which means it probably won't work when it is supposed to).
smile.gif

Both safeties are pretty much pointless on a double action pistol anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Actually, it is a Para LDA double action (which means it probably won't work when it is supposed to).
smile.gif
</div></div>

LOL

Very nice work. When you put it through it's paces let us know how it performs and how the finish holds up.

It don't take much to hack on a 1911. Never been a fan of a grip safety. Never owned one that wasn't pinned either. Between the firing pin gizmo in a Series 80 and a decent ambi, if you AD, its cause you're a dolt........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He never said anything about disabling the safety. Modified to work with the grips, but not disabled.

This is a single action so is does make it "less safe" </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>

lol my buddies LDA just broke, so a sad but funny truth on this end. The extractor was the part that failed. Ironic considering Para's claim on their extractors.

Fortunately, I haven't had any problems yet. But that hasn't been the first time someone has told me that. Usually the comment also involves the origin of manufacture as part of the slam.

Dark Side, I'm interested to see how well the finish holds up from holster wear.

16 Bore, I agree about the AD. One safety plenty, two is just annoying.

VERY NICE! Totally different from any other Para out there! Nice job. Takin in work? LOL!