• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 Hammer Falling To Half Cock During Slide Rack

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I took my Les Baer UTC apart for a wipe down. After I put the gun back together I did several power stroke slide racks without snap caps and no magazine in. The hammer fell back to half cock more than once. I have never seen this pistol or any other 1911 do this. The pistol has about 1200 rounds through it so far. What could cause this?

My S&W 1911PD did this. Sent it back to S&W and they replaced the sear.
I've also heard that it's not a good idea to drop the slide release on an empty chamber because it can create the problem you're experiencing.

Thanks for the replies. The sear spring has not been touched. All I have done is a field strip. I just got back from shooting and it still functions fine. I experienced no failures. Would you just not power stroke on an empty chamber anymore or should I send it off for a gunsmith to look at?

Running the slide on an empty gun is not generally good practice. It's likely that you have any one of a few problems and should take it to a 'smith to be checked out. Minimal sear/hammer engagement, worn sear or hammer, incorrect sear spring tension, trigger spring tension, trigger bounce and disconnector wear are all possible, and could result in the gun going full-auto while loading or firing.