• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1911 in 9mm

maxpower220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Anyone have any experience with 1911s in 9mm. I like the 1911 handgun and have shot a few (Kimbers, Colts) in .45. I like the cost of 9mm better and I have a G19. I would like to add a 1911. I really like the look and feel of the Para Hawg 9. With some research, I have found that some have had problems with the 9mm cycling. I don't want to spend money on a gun that doesn't work, I like my Glock for that reason.

Anyone have an input? Thanks.

Re: 1911 in 9mm

A 1911 in any caliber can run like a top if you take the time to tune them up. I've run with everything from production 1911's to full house customs to wilsons... a few thousand dollars later I learned one thing

A well tuned 1911 is the greatest sidearm a guy can have...

production 1911's will always have a few glitches that need to be worked out or suffered through regardless of caliber

You going to convert it to double action, too?
wink.gif

Get a Browning High Power. Designed by the same man and built around the 9mm. Save the 1911 the embarrassment of that caliber
grin.gif

I disagree. The 1911 was made for longer cartridges than .40 or 9mm. Performance is likely to be hit or miss in a .40 or 9mm 1911.

With good magazines, the right springs, and the right ammo, it is possible to get a 9mm 1911 to run. If you're looking for Glock-like reliability from a 9mm 1911 with factory ammo, however, you may be disappointed.

I already own a .40 2011 and I just bought a 9mm 1911 to play around with. I can fit my ammo to the gun so I don't foresee any problems getting the gun to run. That said, if all I did was shoot factory ammo, I might think twice before buying any 9mm 1911.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me that their 9mm 1911 runs great with crap mags from Zimbabwe and factory ammo. Hell, my 2011 does actually run with short factory ammo. That's fine. I just wouldn't count on it until you're sure.

If you buy a 9mm 1911, my first suggestion is to put a lighter recoil spring in it. I'd bet money that it's over sprung from the factory.

Don't let me talk you out of buying a 9mm 1911 if that's what you really want. Just don't be disappointed if it takes some work to get it running right.

I stopped by a my local gun store yesturday and a fellow traded in a nice Wilson Combat stainless 1911 chambered in 9mm for a Glock 19 and a holster he traded them even. Boy I wish I could have got to him before lol my G 19 I would have traded him. Just understand that they are .45 with slight modifications and you are using a 9mm to operate a weapon designed to fire the .45 acp and .38 super.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a read on Hilton Yam's thoughts:
http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2010/09/sa-9mm-1911.html
</div></div>

Thanks, that was a good read. Pretty much the same info that I had found earlier in my search on the web. I was hoping some Hide members had more positive results from personal experience. As, I have a CCW and a G19, the 1911 would strictly be a range gun for "fun". 9mm would keep costs down and I already had lots of ammo.

Thanks.

I confess that I'm an unabashed 1911 fan. The only one I hardly ever shoot is the 45. Favorite is the 38 super, next is the 40 S&W, 9mm, 10mm, and lastly the 45. With tuned mags and the attention of a competent pistolsmith they all run. If you have a wife or girlfriend she will love the 9mm 1911, I've used mine several times to transition women to center fire pistols. If you get one it will most likely become one of your favorite pistols.

I have several 1911s chambered in 45/40/10/and 9mm
I have a Fusion Custom 6in longslide that is a cadillac to shoot
super smooth and super reliable. I also had a Para P18 9mm which was ok but had some extraction issues and after several fixes got it to run about 98% but ended up selling it. Cant own a gun that wont run when you need it to. If money isnt an option have one built by Fusion you wont be dissapointed.

ls9.jpg

Race gun-9mm 1911 is a great choice.
Carry gun-not so much

STI Trojan in 9mm with mags it likes is a good ove the counter 9mm 1911.

I've been pistolsmithing 1911's since 1988. I'm a competitive bullseye shooter (2650 High Master), former AMU & All Reserve Pistol Team member with National Championship wins and national records. If there is something I know about its 1911's. Regardless of caliber if the pistol isn't built right, it's not going to function. Properly built 9mm's are getting 1" groups at 50 yards from a Ransom rest. Yes that's correct 1" groups. Typically will shoot better than .45's, but that's another story. I've recently worked on 2 Les Baer pistols. He's supposed to be one of the best! Wrong, quality control sucks. With today's CNC machining perfection, anyone can assemble a 1911 that looks good, but it takes a MASTER to properly fit a barrel. In my experience all the big name smiths that mass produce 1911's cannot properly fit a barrel. A smith who is classically trained in fitting barrels one at a time can build awesome shooting 1911's in any caliber. Proper tuning to include mainspring, recoil spring, extractor tension, magazine, etc is a must, but it'll never shoot worth a damn if the barrel isn't fit right. I'm not talking about locking up like a vault either, that's nice for a competition firearm, but there are factors that contribute to proper function for the tactical weapon as well. I would never personally buy a mass produced 1911. I'd find a pistolsmith who does it one at a time, and obviously knows how to do it right. It's worth the money.

Allot of people looking into STI sparten for a starting point for a range gun or competing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Allot of people looking into STI sparten for a starting point for a range gun or competing </div></div>

A 9mm 1911 really isn't competitive, unless you're talking about in IDPA.

Maybe in steel challenge?

I wanted a 9mm 1911 for Steel Challenge type matches. I spent a lot of time at the STI table at the an area championship match comparing the Spartan and the Trojan. The Trojan stood out with better build and better balance in the 9mm. Found one used complete with a set of Vz grips and had Bobby Keigans at Freedom Gunworks do a crisp 1 3/4 lb. trigger and a couple of other tweaks. Great shooting gun. Ran like a top from the get-go with Dawson Tactical Elite mags...the trigger work was the frosting on the cake.

Can't say enough about my STI Trojan. With about a dozen range sessions, and going on 1500 or so rounds, not a single problem (run mostly the 10 round Cobra Mags and WWB ammo). My Kimber Tac Pro II in 9mm had a few issues cycling the last couple rounds with the factory mag, but fine with the Cobra Mags. In all, it's well worth the 'so, I see you got a lady's 1911 there' comments from friends and family. I really enjoy both the STI and the Kimber.

Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suppressedweapons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i know a sponsored pistol shooter who loves his emp in 9mm, and no springfield is not his sponsor </div></div>

Since you mentioned that he is sponsored I assume you are saying that he competes with it and I'm surprised that someone who seriously competes would do so with a 3.5" barrel as opposed to the longer sight radius and increased weight/balance and tuning options associated with a 5".

I have an STI Trojan in 9mm. I have around 600 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. I am using Tripp 10 round mags. The gun is extremely accurate as well.

There is absolutely no monetary reason any O-frame Colt can't be made to run as well as a box-stock $450 Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several 1911s chambered in 45/40/10/and 9mm...</div></div>
What, no love for the 38s?

Imoa 1911's were made for the .45 and not 9mm, if you want a 9mm carry pistol then I would stick with buying a glock. If you want a 1911 carry pistol I would choose a para warthog, its a great little pistol.

Charlie

I have a custom built STI Tactical in 9x19. I really like it a lot. These past few years I have put over 50K (probably more) rounds through it with no problems.

Using SV mags that hold 23 rounds, I can shoot 115gn WWB or my own reloads which are normally Montana Gold 124 JHPs on top of Titegroup loaded out to about 1.145.

I actually just ordered another Tactical frame so I can build one in 40. My Edge in 40 has not been shot since I built this one in 9x19.

I used to have a Series 70 Commander in 9mm. Regret selling it as it was a great shooter. I believe I paid $140 for it NIB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suppressedweapons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i know a sponsored pistol shooter who loves his emp in 9mm, and no springfield is not his sponsor </div></div>

I love my EMP as well. I don't compete with it, but it's a great gun, and the shorter slide cycle and magazine solve the issues from the 1911 action being a bit too long for 9mm/.40. It's great.

I wish they'd make a fullsize .40 single and double stack based on the EMP's dimensions, in steel.

I have a Springfield 5" 9mm that runs great with at least 3 brands of mags. I have 1 mecgar that will not lock the slide back after the last round.

Wilson ETM mags are the way to go for 9mm and .45!!!
+1 on the STI Trojan. Trigger job and replaced the plastic stock trigger it came with.

I used to use a Springfield 9mm 1911 for steel plate matches and it ran flawlessy.

I once shot a .75" group at 50 FEET (no confusion with the caps) with a new out of the box Kimber Stainless Target II.

They can run, they can just be a touch more finicky than the .45cal versions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a custom built STI Tactical in 9x19. I really like it a lot. These past few years I have put over 50K (probably more) rounds through it with no problems.

Using SV mags that hold 23 rounds, I can shoot 115gn WWB or my own reloads which are normally Montana Gold 124 JHPs on top of Titegroup loaded out to about 1.145.

I actually just ordered another Tactical frame so I can build one in 40. My Edge in 40 has not been shot since I built this one in 9x19.</div></div>

Pics?

<---- ain't a 'smith but has one serious hand fitted(did it myself) 45 that Mac Scott said was a seriously accurate, and nice piece of work when my late friend and his partner Doug MacDougall put some new sights on it and checked it out.

1911's and 9mm are not a combination most would think of. Springfield made a little one and still does. The .38 Super is a superb round for the 1911 that was made for competition way back in the day. 1911's are not just for big fat slow rounds. The little Mustang in .380 was based on the same basic design. .22's have been made on the same design.
I think if one desired, pretty much any caliber could be used in a 1911 set up. The key is hand fitting the barrel to the frame, making the ramp right, treating the throat to a little bit of work, and basically insuring everything is fit nice and tight but not so tight it doesn't go into battery.

I ain't no 'smith, nor IDPA'er, nor steel'er, but I do shoot a lot of 9mm in my pro Kimber. Everyone who shoots it, likes it. It's fast, accurate, and cheap to shoot. I agree that finding a good local 'smith to do some customizing as you get into it is a great idea. A full house custom could take a year or more, and a high end semi might be worth it if you can afford, but the STI's and Kimbers are solid mid-levels in 9mm imho. It's a popular combo. Wilson, LB, and even Brown are now making them.

Glad to see people are happy with the STI Trojan. I just ordered one.

I tend to agree with 300redbeard. I think a solid 1911 gunsmith could make a 9mm run very well with all the right parts. (The AR is a prime example of that). Or just a well designed unit from a Manuf. with the right parts.

Heck - my WC 5" CQB didn't run worth a shiznit, with CM or W47D or Tripp mags in .45 ACP ....shooting 230gr FMJs of various brand names. (WC didn't have time for me either - thus my dislike for their CS/company, although I'd try their TTU trig.)

As commented above - the .45 ACP allows for more 'flaws' in a unit while still capable of running well due to its orig. design with that bullet. I believe

Get an EMP,you won't be sorry.I have had one for a while and it has run flawlessly.Only problem I ever had was the rollpin fell out of the front sight but a call to Springfields great customer service had one on it's way from Fed EX in two days.

Well, I had a delay due to my local class 3 dealer having a 9mm can in stock, so I bought it. I have continued to shop around and have decided on a RIA 1911 in 9mm. I will order it at the end of Jan. I understand that there are a lot "better" options, but I have read that RIA is hard to beat for the price. At this point, I want my first 1911 to be a shoot and forget gun. After I learn about 1911s, I may move on or try to build on that frame. The fit and finish of the guns I looked at were pretty nice, better than the Taurus for sure.
Thanks.

I have a Springer and had a Kimber Tactical Pro II, Great weaps in 9mm if you like to shoot. Especially when 45acp pricing was assinine. I sold the kimber to help fund momma's "I better see some f*ckin tile in this house" movement...

Am Ramping up to have a 4" gun built like the springer Champion Operator in 40S&W. Which should also make a fun gun to shoot

Finally. Someone who knows what he's talking about (300redbeard). How do I know? When I was punk teenager learning how to shoot from Bucky Murdock, Jim Clark, Sr., Jim Clark, Jr. and Kay, hanging around bothering Sam Beason and them in their shop in Keithville, and since then, I learned these few smiths are learned in the skilled classical fine art of 1911 pistolsmithing.

I don't mean to be a snot, but....somebody who doesn't know much about 1911's should get one of those plastic guns made in Austria or Brazil. Plastic and 1911 pistols are too different for a novice shooter to be competent with both<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300redbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been pistolsmithing 1911's since 1988. I'm a competitive bullseye shooter (2650 High Master), former AMU & All Reserve Pistol Team member with National Championship wins and national records. If there is something I know about its 1911's. Regardless of caliber if the pistol isn't built right, it's not going to function. Properly built 9mm's are getting 1" groups at 50 yards from a Ransom rest. Yes that's correct 1" groups. Typically will shoot better than .45's, but that's another story. I've recently worked on 2 Les Baer pistols. He's supposed to be one of the best! Wrong, quality control sucks. With today's CNC machining perfection, anyone can assemble a 1911 that looks good, but it takes a MASTER to properly fit a barrel. In my experience all the big name smiths that mass produce 1911's cannot properly fit a barrel. A smith who is classically trained in fitting barrels one at a time can build awesome shooting 1911's in any caliber. Proper tuning to include mainspring, recoil spring, extractor tension, magazine, etc is a must, but it'll never shoot worth a damn if the barrel isn't fit right. I'm not talking about locking up like a vault either, that's nice for a competition firearm, but there are factors that contribute to proper function for the tactical weapon as well. I would never personally buy a mass produced 1911. I'd find a pistolsmith who does it one at a time, and obviously knows how to do it right. It's worth the money.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a custom built STI Tactical in 9x19. I really like it a lot. These past few years I have put over 50K (probably more) rounds through it with no problems.

I actually just ordered another Tactical frame so I can build one in 40. My Edge in 40 has not been shot since I built this one in 9x19.</div></div>

Pics? </div></div>

Imagine a heavily worn, black 2011 with a tri top slide and hand textured grip and you'll be in the ballpark.

Hoser is not into these funky pistols with Buick holes on the side of the slide and multiple butt ugly colors.

I just traded for a Kimber Aegis. Before you start the smart alecking, I fully expected to have to have this gun tuned up to get it to run right (As stated by redbeard etc above).

After the 3 hundred rounds, it has functioned flawlessly with 115 grn WWB as well as 124 grn Ranger LEO amo. I have also put the first box of Speer 124 grn +p Hollow points through it with no issues. Some changes I am going to make include some thicker grips, a new Kimber hammer and an ambi safety. These are just creature comfort issues and not really tuning actions to make the gun run.

So far, I am extremely happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: feenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ain't no 'smith, nor IDPA'er, nor steel'er, but I do shoot a lot of 9mm in my pro Kimber. Everyone who shoots it, likes it. It's fast, accurate, and cheap to shoot. I agree that finding a good local 'smith to do some customizing as you get into it is a great idea. A full house custom could take a year or more, and a high end semi might be worth it if you can afford, but the STI's and Kimbers are solid mid-levels in 9mm imho. It's a popular combo. Wilson, LB, and even Brown are now making them. </div></div>

Which model do you have?