• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 One Inch At 25 Yards Accuracy

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I have said on several threads I am thinking about either buying a custom 1911 or sending one of my existing Springfield's to the Springfield Custom Shop. What specifically would have to be done to make one of the Springfield pistol shoot 1 inch at 25 yards? I don't know that I will ever be able to shoot good enough to know the difference but I would love to have a pistol capable of that type of accuracy.

Re: 1911 One Inch At 25 Yards Accuracy

I would assume the greatest factors would be frame to slide fit, consistent barrel lockup, and a tight fit around the barrel and bushing.

You will probably need a match grade barrel and bushing since the production barrels are not built to that spec. I know Les Baer, Wilson, and maybe Nighthawk offer 1-1.5" guarantees but I haven't heard of the SACS offering that kind of guarantee.

I've owned several 1911;s, but nothing extremely high end (over $1300). I have had two factory guns that would group around 1 inch at 25 yards. One was a SIG STX and the other a Kimber Desert Warrior. Both using quality hollow points. Others, may not have the same experience. So, maybe these two guns fit me perfectly, or I was just lucky.

The Les Baer with the 1.5" accuracy at 50y for $2,000 seems like a deal.

Springfield does not publicly advertise any accuracy guarantees, that I know of. Any Nighthawk, and Wilson would set you back at least $2,800.

Here's a shootout on several pistols, but keep in mind the limitations.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=321236

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned several 1911;s, but nothing extremely high end (over $1300). I have had two factory guns that would group around 1 inch at 25 yards. One was a SIG STX and the other a Kimber Desert Warrior. Both using quality hollow points. Others, may not have the same experience. So, maybe these two guns fit me perfectly, or I was just lucky. </div></div>

Baer will do 1.5" at 50, and I don't know if it's a special workup or not, but typically bullseye 1911's are expected to be around 1" at 50 yards.

I handled a Baer bullseye gun once, and there are a lot of cliches floating around from dumbasses who don't know what the hell they are talking about, but I'm a trained machinist and the slide to frame fit was LAPPED. I mean glassy surface finish lapped on that gun like a pair of gauge blocks. It really didn't have any play that I could feel and was probably below .001" tolerance.

My brother has a production Baer commanche by contrast and it is real tight, but the surface finish of the slide and frame rails is a little rough as in machine marks. The gun still shoots- I can hit a 10x12 plate at 100 yds with it 2 out of 3 times and the sights are regulated dead nuts center from the shop.

I wish I could get one but the wait is like 8 months right now I think and I would rather buy a gun, and sell my carry gun to replace it, so I guess my shitty Kimber will soldier on.

Thanks for all the replies. The 1911 forum article was outstanding. I may still buy a Wilson at some point but I think for now I will just stick to the Springfield with a little custom shop work done. It would be cool to say this pistol can do 1 inch at 25 yards but if someone asked me to prove it I would be out of luck. I have never liked the Loaded I have because it is not exactly what I wanted. I ordered a parkerized finish with night nights and got a stainless with white dots because that was the one my dealer found. Later on I got a Range Officer. As far as looks are concerned I love the Range Officer but I can't hit anything with it. I think it is the target sights. I will mostly likely send the Loaded stainless in because I am doing much better with it now. Most of what will be done in the custom shop will be unrelated to accuracy of the pistol but on my ability to accurately shoot it. The trigger is too long and pound of pull is heavy. I think it is about 5 pounds now. I also need a magwell and some checkering on the front strap. I will probably also get the reliability package.

The action is a little rough on the stainless one. I put Froglube on it yesterday and it is much better but still not as good and the Range Officer. It feels like it might have something to do with the recoil spring but I don't know for sure. I changed out the 2 piece guide rod for a GI length and put a spring cap on. Both parts are ED Brown. What does it need to be smoothed out?

Also can the stainless be made as accurate as a carbon steel pistol? I have heard it cannot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 243Varminter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also can the stainless be made as accurate as a carbon steel pistol? I have heard it cannot. </div></div>

They are most likely talking about barrels. The barrel and bushing are where the majority of your accuracy is going to come from. You can get a tight slide to frame fit with both materials.

Personally I would put the money into ammo and training. I've got several 1911s that can shoot 2-3" groups at 25 yards but since the best I can shoot is 3-4" @ 15 yards you would never know it. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish I could get one but the wait is like 8 months right now I think and I would rather buy a gun, and sell my carry gun to replace it, so I guess my shitty Kimber will soldier on. </div></div>

Check with Dave Severns who did the comparison listed above. It's been a couple years since I bought mine from him but he stocks Baers sometimes. Crazy Joe is another good source for Baers.

getting a match barrel/chamber, bushing will go a long way but it will need to be properly fit. Anyone can drop it in and make it run but the devil is in the details...getting that timing correct can be a PIA sometimes.

I'd suggest a Briley bushing...two piece bushing. Fit the bushing to the slide then pick the proper barrel bushing and you're good to go.

One thing you should also consider is lock-time after squeezing the trigger. The faster you can get the firing pin to hit the primer the better. This comes from increased power main spring, lighter hammer, main spring cap, firing pin. Where the increase in accuracy comes from is the gun goes of a little faster after the sear is tripped...you don't have to hold steady as long on the target. Some people don't see any change in accuracy, some will.