• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1911 pistol question

4570sharpshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Scheller,Il
I have a Springfield armory TRP, and it's a great shooter. My question to the forum ....I have a fellow shooter who is thinking about checkering his colt to match the checkering on the grip of my TRP. I told him it would be cheaper to trade his gun for a model with this option. Now with that being said...which guns come with this option, that you would recommend.Thanks,4570SS

Re: 1911 pistol question

May get more hits in the "supresors and sidearm" forum.

Don't have the models you seek off the top of my head, but if your friend has a Colt he likes why not get it done the way he wants instead of switching pistold. User customization is what makes 1911's great in the eyes of many.....

+1, you'll get more response in the other section.

Are talking about checkering the front strap? Pretty easy for good smith to do. No need to buy another gun for it... Personally, I would keep my colt or an SA.

I would not think getting the checkering done would not be over $200.

But I could be wrong!

He might want to consider 25 lpi versus the 20 lpi checkering on the TRP. I have Springer Pro and the checkering eats up my hands a bit.

Send it to Clark Custom Guns. They do a great job for $110.00 + Shipping.

20lpi is my personal favorite. If it is too sharp, a piece of fine emory paper over the tips will lighten it up to his preferance.

25 lines-per-inch is a great all-round checkering.

20 LPI is like a rasp on my fingers and it will tend to snag and wear the linings of jackets and coats if you're carrying concealed. It can also cause the linings to hang and catch as you clear the weapon from clothing.

30 LPI is not nearly as useful for sweaty hands or in the rain (although it's better than skateboard tape).

A good pistol shop can do it fairly quickly with a complete weapon re-finish -- say under two weeks for around $200.

Couple options, from the cheap to the expensive. Skateboard tape is what I use on most of my guns. Next cheapest is a machined checkered insert. I think EGW and Wilson make them. The better ones are welded on and then blended. Then machine cut checkering and hand cut checkering. If it's a good smith with Machine cut checkering you'll get pretty good quality. Same thing with hand cut, but the smith needs to be top notch, or you'll get the lines messed up.

Here are a few examples of Clark's work.

P1020193.jpg

P1020195.jpg

P1020196.jpg

Here is one in the white
P1020194.jpg

You won't be disapointed.

I've got a Springfield Loaded in stainless that came W/O the checkering (2001 model) and I sent it back to Springfield and had them do some work on it in the custom shop including a new barrel fitted and the checkering. I was going to go with the 20 lpi checkering similar to what the FBI uses but I decided to go with the 25 lpi.

That was I believe the best choice. It came back super sharp. It literaly sticks to your hand. I use this gun as my duty sidearm so it's with me all the time. The 25 is corse enough for a good grip and yet not severe enough to tear your had up after extended periods of shooting.

But if the majority of your shooting is like the FBI HRT team and be with gloves on the 20 may be a better choice.

Also, the current price at Springfield Armory is $110 for 20 lpi and $120 for 25 lpi for machine cut. It's worth it. And Springfield's Custom Shop will work on a Colt or other makes too.

I've handled the Taurus 1911 (my brother has one) and it has machine checkering thats pretty decent but all the serial numbers on every part is a little bit excessive to me. The SW1911 and some of the Sig 1911 have vertical striations which are OK. Some of the Sig 1911's have full checkering too. I've never handled one and I've heard some good and bad reviews on them but maybe check out the Para-Ord 1911's with the griptilan grooves.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

the checkering on the TRP models is machine cut which is generally a bit sharper than hand cut checkering. Have him check out the different LPI first before he commits. I'm with RAD where I like 20LPI the best but when it comes to customers' frames I show them examples of each so they have a good idea on what they might want.

As mentioned the Springfield Custom shop will perform checkering (and other services) at a very reasonable price and they are nice people to deal with. I sent a Kimber series one up to them last year for 25LPI checkering it was excellent work, a fast turn around and a good price.

I really appreciate all the responses. The fellow shooter that I mentioned....traded his Colt & some cash for a Kimber SIS. I mentioned all the feedback from this forum ,he thought about it for a couple of days,and did the trade. Thanks again 45/70SS