• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 Reliability?

Re: 1911 Reliability?

I have had a Norinco for years and have never had any problems. I have used it in competition and just playing. It was well used when I got it and I have put a couple thousand through it. If this "cheap Chinese" 1911 performs this well then I can only imagine how a high quality American made on does. PS I will be buying one of these soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic artist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber custom 2 with 4k through it. bought it brand new. First 200 rounds through it had a total of 4 jams. After the first 200 I fully disassembled it and cleaned it. Since then it has honestly never had a problem. Ive ran it till it was so hot I got a blister from touching the slide and smoked the oil off the bbl. And Ive put 950 rounds through it without cleaning OR oiling. Still runs. I have found that 99.9999999999999999% of 1911 issues are related to magazines. (or brazil made springfields) I have had S. A. owners give me crap for having a Kimber for some reason. My response is, I like American made 1911's, they can keep their brazilian made peace of shit. (most of the guys that talk crap on kimbers have the cheap end of SA 1911. I know the high end SA guns are still made in America) I got nothing against anything that SA makes but people have no right to talk shit on Kimber when they are running a SA GI.(Made in Brazil) </div></div>

Springfields are not made in the US. They are Imbel (Brazil) frames that are assembled in the US. Kimbers get a bad rap because they are a production gun. They arent assembled by 1911 pistolsmiths. They are assembled by parts assemblers. If they have a problem that they see, then the gun goes to a pistolsmith.

Bill

Bill, Bill, Bill ...

My Rock Island Armory has gone a few thousand rounds between cleanings. Cheap, accurate, and apparently reliable. I don't like being restricted to 8 rounds so I carry Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not meant to start a Glock vs 1911. Or anything there of. But I see many post on different forums about how so and so would much rather carry handgun a, b, or c over a 1911 for reliability. I can understand it's lacking in the capacity department. But my question is if the design has stuck around this long, been through various wars, why is it considered unreliable or a high maintenance system? For the 1911 owners do you find you have to keep the gun thoroughly cleaned to run?

</div></div>

This is going to piss some people off but this is my experience.

If you go to pistol comps long enough there are 2 things that become apparent. 1. 1911's are the most commonly used pistol and 2. They seem to break or malfunction more than other pistols. I'm sure in each case there was a reason. I'll leave it at that.

I have owned 3-4 different 1911's including a $2300 38S limited custom by a top smith at the time. They would all malfunction more than I consider acceptable. Caveat/ I do realize there are 1911's that run perfectly fine.

There are advantages to 1911's. They have some heft to them which tames recoil. Excellent triggers can be smithed into a 1911. They have a great feel in the hand and have the proper grip angle.

I don't own a 1911 anymore and haven't for many years but I have owned 3 STI 2011's since. Through the years I'd sell them and try out other semi auto pistols. I kept coming back to the 2011 and kept the custom 40S&W. It's the 2cnd most reliable pistol I've owned besides a Glock 33 which never malfunctioned even once.

Some of the other Glocks(various sizes and cartridges) I've owned weren't perfectly reliable either but in general more reliable than the 1911's.

If I were to buy a 1911 again I'd spend the extra money and buy a full size Wilson. Proper maintenance, cleaning and lube can only help reliability with any firearm.

Im pretty sure the national match SA 1911 is American made. Unless the NM's Ive shot were older models. Im not sure but I know I like Kimbers, Nighthawks and the ones I build every now and then.
grin.gif