• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors 1911 suggestions

Witch_Doctor

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Here is the skinny, I have owned one 1911 in my life and that was Colt Gold Cup, I sold it and regretted it. This was years ago. Well since officially leaving law enforcement, I have decided I want another 1911. Unfortunately for the last 20 years, I have only purchased pistols I could carry on and off duty, and the 1911 wasn't one of them. So, my budget is in the vicinity of $1,200 give or take, and I have been looking at another Gold Cup, maybe a Kimber, or a Springfield, just don't know really. It's sole purpose will be for my pleasure, not a carry gun, not a self defense gun, just good ole fun at the range. Any suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated.

Re: 1911 suggestions

A nice Springfield TRP is what your looking for. Accurate, reliable, and just a hoot to shoot, and the most bang for your buck, in my opinion. jpg

Agree that the TRP is a good choice but you probably can't find a new one for $1200. The new Range Officer is a good value for under $1k. The Springer Loaded models and the Kimber Custom IIs are about the same price. You could, of course, go get another Gold Cup ....

Take a look at some of the offerings from Dan Wesson. I have a VBOB and love it. The trigger amazes me every time I shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at some of the offerings from Dan Wesson. I have a VBOB and love it. The trigger amazes me every time I shoot it. </div></div>
Lucky man!

I am just in love with the new Springfield GI's with their nice black finish and double diamond US grips. The new Remington however really has me going gaga because I carried a Remington-Rand in The Corps that although loose as the pussies I chased it still qualified me each and every time and always worked when I wanted it too in the sandy places of the big island.
I think there is nothing greater than taking one of these OEM basic guns and making a serious shooter out of it with minimal cost

Get the STI Lawman or the TRP.

The Springfield Range Officer doesn't have anything that the Loaded doesn't, except for a ridiculous price tag.

If you're willing to spend $1200 on a 1911, it should have:

Big, dovetail sights
Beavertail grip safety
Ambi thumb safety (preference, but usually considered an upgrade and found on the nicer guns)
magwell (smith and alexander style is fine)
front strap checkering (20 lpi if you don't mind the sharpness, 25 lpi otherwise)
A decent finish

You may have to add one or more features to the gun you like. A less expensive gun is okay if you're willing to upgrade.

If you don't think you need all of these features, you don't need to spend $1200 on a 1911.

personally, I really like front strap checkering and so that's somewhat non-negotiable to me...which either forces me to send one off for checkering or buy a more expensive gun in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popndrop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or possibly a used Les Baer if you shop around. </div></div>

Tried my first LB a couple of weeks ago and I had to have one so mine is on order. LB makes a nice gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Springfield Range Officer doesn't have anything that the Loaded doesn't, except for a ridiculous price tag.

If you're willing to spend $1200 on a 1911, it should have:</div></div>

Where are you seeing them for $1200? There was one on the Hyde that sold for $600 in November and I see them advertised for $750-$850 all over and quite a few selling on Gunbroker around $750. I know people are charging a premium for the first 500 which is of course unnecessary but the rest are pretty reasonable.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=209017467
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10061058&oh=216543
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=209337632

Match barrel, beavertail, target sights, etc. Lot of pistol for the price in my opinion for someone looking for a range gun.

I have only been able to shoot a couple, can't afford them myself, but the best 1911s I have ever shot are STI. I am not a great marksman, but with them I have always been able to shoot really well. The feel, trigger pull, and balance are unbelivable to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Match barrel, beavertail, target sights, etc. Lot of pistol for the price in my opinion for someone looking for a range gun. </div></div>

A "match" barrel without a name brand on it is worthless in my opinion. That's just marketing talk.

Every 1911 should have a beavertail. Only the cheapest GIs and Rock Islands don't. Even a Taurus has a beavertail.

"Target sights"? I doubt it. Nearly every gun has a front sight just as wide as the rear. I'd count on changing the front sight on nearly any gun.

Springfield should be ashamed of themselves for coming out with a gun called the "Range Officer" that doesn't even have a magwell on it from the factory.

Get the Trophy Match if the TRP is too expensive. Supposedly CDNN has it for $1100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Match barrel, beavertail, target sights, etc. Lot of pistol for the price in my opinion for someone looking for a range gun. </div></div>

A "match" barrel without a name brand on it is worthless in my opinion. That's just marketing talk.

Every 1911 should have a beavertail. Only the cheapest GIs and Rock Islands don't. Even a Taurus has a beavertail.

"Target sights"? I doubt it. Nearly every gun has a front sight just as wide as the rear. I'd count on changing the front sight on nearly any gun.

Springfield should be ashamed of themselves for coming out with a gun called the "Range Officer" that doesn't even have a magwell on it from the factory.

Get the Trophy Match if the TRP is too expensive. Supposedly CDNN has it for $1100. </div></div>

Agree with you on the magwell but according to the Custom shop the RO uses the same match barrel as the Trophy albeit not the same bushing or level of fitting. Don't know how much better it would be with a name brand barrel but there are folks on the 1911 forum reporting 2-3" 25 yard groups from a rest which is probably plenty for most folks from an $800 gun. Don't know about the front but I'd bet the rear is the same adjustable sight used on the Trophy.

Just my opinion of course but with a $50 magwell I think it's a pretty good $850 gun. Just my opinion. I know we all have them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popndrop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the TRP at that price - or possibly a used Les Baer if you shop around. </div></div>

This is good advice.

I have a Springfield GI. My first 1911, couple add ons done to it i love it
guns005.jpg

Good grief. You guys are making this way too complicated. Sure, a Les Baer would be great, but its overkill for the situation. The reality is that nowadays, most factory guns (at least Kimber and Springfield) are more accurate than many of the factory match pistols of yester year. I've picked up a Kimber 9mm Stainless Target (basic Kimber with adjustable sights) and shot a .75" 5-shot group off a bench at 50 feet. My previous kimber .45 would turn in 2" groups at 25 yds if I did my part. The overwhelming majority of shooters just won't be able to shoot better than the gun itself.

The STI could be a good option.

The term "match" is a buzzword and so overused as to be nearly meaningless. Historically a match barrel required fitting to include having the chamber finish reamed for proper (usually tight) headspace. Also, usually had a tightly fit bushing that would require a wrench for removal. But now companies offer "drop-in" "match" barrels. Talk about meaningless drivel.

Target sights is a fancy way of saying adjustable. Only necessary if you change up loads a lot. Usually prone to slicing flesh and the human body has plenty of flesh.

Checkering is great if you have to have it, but its not necessarily required.

If you buy a base gun, you can always have it worked on by a reputable smith as your skills improve.

I do however, believe a beavertail is necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Get the Trophy Match if the TRP is too expensive. Supposedly CDNN has it for $1100. </div></div>

Agree with you on the magwell but according to the Custom shop the RO uses the same match barrel as the Trophy albeit not the same bushing or level of fitting. Don't know how much better it would be with a name brand barrel but there are folks on the 1911 forum reporting 2-3" 25 yard groups from a rest which is probably plenty for most folks from an $800 gun. Don't know about the front but I'd bet the rear is the same adjustable sight used on the Trophy.

Just my opinion of course but with a $50 magwell I think it's a pretty good $850 gun. Just my opinion. I know we all have them. </div></div>

I wouldn't pay a cent more for a gun with the "same barrel" as something else. If your needs require an accurized gun, get a barrel and bushing and have it chambered and fitted by hand.

$50 for a magwell? What about fitting it to the frame and refinishing the gun? Sorry, but it ain't $50 for any magwell. The Dawson Ice doesn't require fitting, but you will have to replace magazine basepads @ $10 each. AND it's $95 to begin with.

Like I said before, calling a gun the "Range officer" and not including a magwell is atrocious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Match barrel </div></div>

While I like the Springfield as a base gun for a custom build,
Springfield Armory 'two piece' 45 barrels have never been known for great accuracy.

The rest of the gun is great though.

I vote the GoldCup, I own 6 of them, 2 box stock built in the 70s before they became just anothe r1911 with a rib and a wider trigger, 2 that started out as a stainless and a blued that wound up with the slides switched, a 2 bought about 2 years ago when I came back from Iraq that have been thoroughly worked over into bullseye guns.

You can't go wrong with a TRP. Sold mine to buy a Wilson Combat and in retrospect, don't see the difference in performance. Wilson is a little nicer but not worth three times the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at some of the offerings from Dan Wesson. I have a VBOB and love it. The trigger amazes me every time I shoot it. </div></div>

I just got a VBOB a bit ago as well. It's one hell of a 1911 and does indeed have an amazing trigger pull on it.

I had a Springfield Loaded for years and was never too impressed by it. It ran fine, and was accurate enough, but was really loose, finished rough on parts of the slide interior, and had a horrible trigger that I never bothered messing with. I ended up selling it and put that $ towards the Dan Wesson. A coworker of mine has a TRP Operator I've shot on several occasions. It is NICE. The frame / slide fit is as good as my Dan Wesson, nice trigger, nice finish, just nice overall and plenty accurate.

It's my understanding there are some MIM parts even in the TRPs. That may or may not be of concern to you, especially if it's just going to be a range toy. The MIM debate is endless and people have strong opinions either way, but it's something to consider if you have an opinion...

I have a kimber custom eclipse. Looks great, shoots great. It does not have the ambi safty but I am right handed and could care less. I would get eather a custom tle or eclipse from kimber; however if you liked the gold cup so much just go out and get another, you at least know you will be happy with it.

Witchdoctor: I've got a used TRP on the sale page if you're willing to get one with a little honest wear on it. Has experience being pointed at bad guys, they always gave up! Mike

colt series 70, find one that is slightly used and build it to your specs.
I have two built up by Novaks. beautiful guns and great shooters as well.

MIM debate, in my opinion, is a complete waste of time.

My $2000 STI has MIM parts, they work fine, and I'm pretty sure that I fired more rounds through my pistols in 2010 than most of the posters in this thread. It does have a nice hammer and sear, which is, of course, non negotiable. It's also less than $100 to replace both of these parts

I'd rather have decent sights and a nice magwell, and a boatload of ammo, than any amount of fancy machined/billet/bar stock parts.

If parts break, I'll replace them. Tens of thousands of rounds later--I haven't replaced anything but springs.

I was looking at Switchblade's post agian, I must say the Remington has me very intrigued. I use to play with my Dad's Remington Rand 1911, fact i learned to shoot on it as a young kid. I know its not the same, but intrigued all the same.

Handling a 1911 isn't going to tell you anything you don't already know. If you've held one, you've held them all. Get one that has the features you want and start shooting it. That'll tell you a lot.

COLT Gold Cup National Match Stainless.
$1025.00 Buds Guns.com. Once you own a Gold Cup
there is no other reason to have any other .45
Mfire1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mfire1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">COLT Gold Cup National Match Stainless.
$1025.00 Buds Guns.com. Once you own a Gold Cup
there is no other reason to have any other .45
Mfire1 </div></div>

Now this is a statement I'd love to see justified. Lol

From my research I found that Kimber Custom II models can be hit or miss. That being said I still purchased a Kimber, but I got a Desert Warrior model, it and the normal Warrior model don't have an internal firing pin block as seen on the rest of the current Kimber Custom models, thats why a II does not follow the Desert and/ or Warrior's name like the other cutom models. These pistols have an ambidextrous thumb safety, a lanyard loop, an internal extractor. I have only had mine for 3 weeks now, but I have 300 rounds of winchester white box ammo through it without any malfunctions knock on wood, and accuracy is good.

I love the Springfields but I gotta say, I had a few Smith & Wesson's that fed everything i ever put through them and held nice groups...I will probably end up with another scandium framed Commander size S&W at some point...

Smith And Wesson makes a great 1911. So does Sig, and Springfield. I would look at the MC Operator from Springfield as it's a great gun, assembled here in the US, with less bells and whistles than the TRP and a lower price.

Otherwise, go with Smith, IMHO. I'm not a fan of Kimbers, never had a good one.

Then again, I now build my own. *shrugs*