• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors 1911 what would you do?

Firemarshall27

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2003
Stoutsville, Ohio,
I'm in the market for another 1911 and Im wanting to get something on the higher end. I want something Absolutley reliable, full size, light rail, super accurate, smooth and tight. I'll post a poll of who I'm looking at right now or if you have any sugestions of someone else I should consider please let me know.

Thanks, FM

Re: 1911 what would you do?

Yo Bo 1* (if you can find one with a rail), DL Sports, MARS THUG, MARS Custom to your specs, Matt Gish build,

although I do like a 'tweeked' LB SRP and would consider an Ed Brown...

Others to note - but cost and wait get a bit higher. (Pistol Dynamics, Chuck Rogers,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> LB SRP </div></div>
+1 and I say that after having owned Wilsons and trading them off for the SRP. Very reliable and a pleasure to shoot.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I voted LB b/c I have one and love it, but any will give you a quality gun that will last a lifetime.. and then some. Just make sure you get what you want and don't look back.

les baer. my father had a thunder ranch and it was a super accurate super tight yet reliable gun.

Sell it and buy a nice SIG 226
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would go with a Volkmann.....</div></div>

WOW! I just checked those out what a piece of work. I think that may have just moved to the top of my list! Too bad it looks like he's having a falling out with his old company Volkmann Customs but is opening up a new company of his own Volkmann Precision LLC http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2303231 its all over every form. Says he's gonna try to be open by or in March 2011. So now someone needs to buy my AIAW 308 I have for sale in the Firearms section
grin.gif
Thanks HDC!!

i don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you listed they all tend to be production customs. i like to pick and choose what options are on my guns, but all the ones you listed are top shelf some others to look at.

mars armament- steve morrison builds a HELL of a reliable gun. he's who's building mine.

chuck rogers of rogers precision- machining is the best you will ever find. definately a lifetime gun.

Dave berryhill- builds a awesome meusoc 1911

Jason Burton

Stan Chen

Hilton Yam's guns are amazing if you can find one. he doens't build many as he is still a working LEO.

there are more good smiths but those are the well known ones that their pistols tend to keep value really well if not apreciate a little.

If you're going into that price range (Volkmann's.... or Jason Burton) Check out Paul's (pistol dynamics - combat special/evolution). His beavertail design and ISS sight system/bushing are one of a kind.

I personally love the nighthawks. I'm looking at picking up one of thier "AAC" editions and pairing it with a TiRant 45!

OR if you want a 1911 that you will never have a problem out of.

Buy a Glock 19 and add 11 after the 19 on the slide.

I voted OTHER.
I absolutely love the feel of the STI 2011's.
I have a Tactical 5.0 in 9mm that is an absolute dream to shoot.

I've played with a couple of Nighthawks and would love to have some of their models, but the 2011 with its double stack mag is the feature that pulled me away from the Nighthawk.

If you really want to step up look at the SVI's Infinity...now that's gun pr0n.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEAT4272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should contact EGW they will build you a nice 1911. </div></div>

EGW doesn't work on guns anymore.

I'll second Harrison. He comes highly recommended from one of the best 1911 shooters/buiders on the planet.

Your list is strong already. As another posted keep Springfield in mind, specifically the TRP and the Professional model, (FBI Contract pistol).

Thanks all for the info!!! I think I'm pretty sure who I'm gonna go with now I just need to figure out if I should go with a light rail or not. So a question for all that have some experience with this for an everyday carry gun would you or would you not get one with the rail? And what does everybody think of the bobtail feature?

Thanks again! FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no rail.

</div></div>

why? Because of feel, weight or other?

Thanks, FM

None of those should give you any problems, I simply chose other because I have a TRP and it's been reliable and accurate as all hell.. Just personal preference though

I'd personally go with a standard Springfield, then upgrade it until it's exactly the way I want it.

I'm with the Springfield guys.... get a trp and mod it to your liking and save a few thousand...

If it is for concealed carry, no rail. It is unlikely to be carried with a light attached. The rail, and a light, just adds bulk and edges to snag on clothing.

only do rail if your goin to put it in your nighstand or make a living with a pistol on your hip.

and really you can always add a dawson rail later on if you want.

a good standard springer is a good starting point and like everyone else said upgrade as you go. like buying a base r700 and goin from there.
wink.gif

These are all good choices, many of them in the price range of a good truck. You won't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned.

BUT...... I lived and breathed 1911's for way too long and obviously have formed an opinion of my own. I have carried and shot most listed here (not lucky enough to carry a Pistol Dynamics yet) and for what you want to to, I suggest buying a moderately priced quality 1911 (Springer/Kimber) and building EXACTLY what you want.

Building a 1911 is like modding a 5.0 Mustang. There are so many options out there that it is hard to comprehend, which enables you to build a perfectly personalized gun.

I own what I believe to be the most perfect pistol on earth...for me. It started as a box-stock Kimber Warrior (non Series II...no firing pin block) that was completely built to my specs by one of the best pistolsmiths on the planet, Richard Heinie. Mine ended up looking very similar to Kimber's ICQB (M-45 MEUSOC), except with frame-integrated Kimber rail instead of Dawson Precision bolt on. Mine also has a Surefire X400 rather than the Surefire IMPL . It's an unbelievable gun, and it feels better and works better for me than any pistol I've ever seen. It is also personalized to the point that a Nighthawk or EB feels generic to me now.

That's the reason I suggest building your own, but like I said, you won't go wrong with any of the suggestions here.

I have a Nighthawk Talon and a T3(for daily carry). They're both excellent.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd purchase one that I can see first/take down/and maybe even consider buying a used one that's proven. Nothing wrong with purchasing a used one that someone can vouch for on its reliability.

Only reason I mention the above is that my T3 wasn't as nicely machined/smith'd as my Talon, but it has been flawless so far without any failures for the first couple hundred rounds. Plus it's a carry gun, so any blemishes should not be a big deal as long as it functions. I need some more time with it at the range to see how it does. When I picked up my Talon, I could see it first and a couple months later I ordered the T3 because I was so impressed with the Talon.

Check out Andrew's Leather for a holster: MacDaniel II is what I have..

Regardless, I can't see you going wrong with any of your choices....those higher end 1911 companies want you to be happy with your purchase.

It really depends on your need, but i'd go with a Kimber Custom II. The Custom II comes standard with options that most trigger pullers need without going overboard. It's easily customizable if your need dictates with beaver tail grip safety, sights, ambi safety etc. The pistol will run ya about $700+
grin.gif

All of those manufacturers make beautiful weapons but any one of them could have issues. I have a co-worker who had one of your choices that was finniky with ammo. It would not reliably feed factory American Eagle ball ammo. It was sent back a few times and it still had the problem. Most of these are built to such tight tolerances that it could generate a problem. Most of the weapons that come out will run flawlessly but remember that they are mechanical devices and things do happen.

With that being said. I run on duty a Kimber Warrior that a local gunsmith massaged for me and has run beautifully with routine maintenance and high quality magazines. I also have a Hilton Yam Springfield 10-8 Operator that is absolutely the balls!! If you can find one of those, you wont be sorry...

Ed Brown is my favorite. Brown, unlike other manufacturers, only truly builds 2 guns. He builds a 5", and a 4.25". He then finishes them out with whatever cosmetic specs the customer wants.

Another point in Brown's favor: He makes all of his own parts, including the barrels, in-house. Nighthawk and others all sub out their products to other companies, so they aren't truly custom MADE, they're custom BUILT.

I have yet to find a Brown I don't like, or have a problem with one.

Wilson Combat is also a good gun, however they are far too wrapped up in the "Tactical" advertising, in my opinion, and at nearly $500-1000 more money than the Brown, it's just not worth it. At around $2000, Brown makes a great gun that cannot be beat.

I also like Baers, but in my experience, sometimes he builds the guns a bit on the tight side, and they can have reliability problems.

Another high quality gun that I feel the OP is missing in his list is the Springfield Professional. This gun is an absolute dream of a gun. It's the only 1911 I know of that has been put through a 20,000 torture test and has come out on top with a 2"+ accuracy at 25 yards capability. Even Les Baer said it couldn't be done.

The gun is issued by the FBI, DEA, and other Law Enforcement agencies, and it is tough as nails. While not necessarily built to be as PRETTY as the other options, if you want a serious working gun, this gun goes into harm's way more often than most of the others.

Now, we can get into custom builds done by some of the finest Smiths in the Country, from Chuck Rogers of Rogers precision, Dave Berryhill, Hilton Yam, Stan Chen, and on and on, which are truly one-off, one of a kind masterpieces that are unique and absolutely worth every penny.

I know these guys, some of them I count as friends of mine.

Choose what fits in your budget. Really, with all of the guns listed, you really can't go wrong. Just because I personally dislike Nighthawk pistols, they are good guns, and worth considering.

Take my opinion for what it's worth.

+1 for Caspian but not everybody has the know how to put one together and time it. All very fine pistols and all will work perfectly when properly maintained.

Matt Gish just might have acquired that FBI/Gov't contract due to his abilities and knowledge. Post 1911 trials/testing - - the Gov needed the full 'order' ASAP.... and a solo op was not going to cut it for them.

His pricing to product received would be tough to beat. On par with Steve Morrison. If you can find Matt nowadays.....

My WC 5'' cqb wasn't up to snuff with continous FTF/FTE issues - and WC cs didn't want to look at the gun back in '06 .......thus I will not own nor recommend another WC firearm personally since there are far better options for guns and smiths that back their goods more appropriately. ( I believe several of the good ol' smiths at WC left to start Nighthawk.......)

Support a private 1911 "master' gunsmith and let it rock.

Just my .02 and experience.

Just got off the phone with George at Gunslingers about ordering my Volkmann Combat Custom! Now just gotta sit back and wait 6-8 mo. This is gonna be worse than waiting on suppressors!

All of those are good options and have their good and bad points. However, understand they are all now larger companies, and most are not doing the level of work they did when they built their reputations. Having owned wilson and nighthawk I believe if you do take the time to look for well known or quality single man shops you can get a better product (just as is true for rifles in most cases). You also have the advantage of talking to the actual person building your gun.

Les baer....I've seen a couple that were so tight they chewed themselves up. They really dance the line between tight -vs- reliable. A lot of them run great once broke in though. Wilson, nighthawk, brown all strike a nice balance between tight but reliable.

Brown....good but I personally don't like the lower cut under the trigger guard. It also seems the backstrap up by the hammer does not fit me well.

Wilson, had a few including an older supergrade.....nice but overpriced, esp. when you consider these days 4-5+ guys work on a supergrade and it's $4500+. I do love thier 2 color night sight setup and all my sidearms now run that system. My supergrade's fit and finish was amazing and it really is noticeable compared to the CQB, nighthawk etc. However, it's subtle and truth be told not worth the price up charge, but it's the only 1911 of the group that I felt truly "melted" into your hand. It was fit and finished so well it felt like a single polished block, and it's the first 1911 I owned were the saying "Like the slide ran on ball bearings" rang true. However, it ran and shot no better than my CQB or nighthawk did for half the price.

Nighthawk, nice, they are a lot better to work with than Wilson if you want something done outside of their norm, or have an issue in my experience. If you get one make sure you get their Diamond Black coating (ionbond) I've heard it's getting better but there were massive problems with their perma-kote chipping and wearing poorly, which should never be an issue with a $2500+ handgun.

The funny part is these days guys walk in a shop and all they care about is how tight the slide fit is, when it has little or nothing to do with how accurate the gun is, but a gun that's too tight has a much higher chance of not running well. That's not to say you can't get a tight gun that runs 100%, but it's harder to do. It's such an issue these days most custom shops won't even build you a "loose" 1911 for fear that they will get a bad rep over it.

If I had it to do over again I'd have looked harder into the small custom shops, you might pay a bit more, and you will certainly wait longer, but the end product and overall experience is worth it.

Any one listed.....Todd A+ on what you said about a lose 1911. I built mine while working with the late George Wessinger(one the top 10 rated 1911 guys in the late 80's) His quote was" you want one to punch pretty little holes or you want one to go bang while Murphys watch ya.." I'll go to the local range and let all the "armchair boys" laugh at my lose Colt...till I shoot rings around them and never have a misfire....Oh well what do old farts know. By the way is not a stock Colt...is usually the last thing I say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell it and buy a nice SIG 226
smile.gif
</div></div>

Because that's somehow comparable to a custom 1911