• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COASTIE.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2010
seattle wa
So i posted a while back on some help with a new polymer 45 but i have decided to go the 1911 rout i have never dabbled in them before and would love to add one to my arsenal. looking for one that is around 800 to 1k and i want to customize it a bit but not leaving the 1911 look. Any help would be much appreciated.
mike

Re: 1911

I would suggest STI, Springfield, and Kimber, in that order. A friend recently bought a Springfield "Range Officer" that looks like a good 1911.

Have you been able to try a 1911?

ShtrRdy- I have shot a few 1911's. I love the way the feel and shoot they tend to fit my big mitts a little better as well. I will check out those 1911's.

i bought a range officer and an sti spartan this year and have to say the range officer didnt impress me but i liked the spartan so much i got another in 9mm

Don't be afraid to give Sig a look eihter. No not your traditional 1911 and I'm not sure about customizing one, but they are good pieces and have been very reliable!

+1 for Sig. I recently bought a Scorpion for $799.00 and I won't be needing another .45 in the foreseeable future. It's all Stainless, mine is Full Size, it's extremely accurate and has not malfunctioned even once. No matter what I throw in it.

I have briefly looked at the sig 1911's; i carry the p229DAK when on duty and is an awesome shooter just doesn't fit well with my big paws. I know 1911's fit much different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look at Springfield's standard loaded gun before I'd go for a Range Officer model. </div></div>

This is a great way to go. The Springfield Loaded models offer a whole lot of gun for the price. I got onto these from an old timer who was a huge 1911 aficionado. Buy the features you want in a pistol the first time around. Springfield makes a solid 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look at Springfield's standard loaded gun before I'd go for a Range Officer model. </div></div>

This is a great way to go. The Springfield Loaded models offer a whole lot of gun for the price. I got onto these from an old timer who was a huge 1911 aficionado. Buy the features you want in a pistol the first time around. Springfield makes a solid 1911. </div></div>

I'm a bit more nit picky now and so I usually start with something like the mil-spec.

Thank you all for the advice and continued help. still undecided on the platform to start with, i think it time to head to the range and try as many 1911's as they have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coastie.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you all for the advice and continued help. still undecided on the platform to start with, i think it time to head to the range and try as many 1911's as they have. </div></div>

Excellent plan!

Whatever 1911 you decide to go with, do yourself a favor and spend some money on decent magazines. Others have posted that same advice on other threads, but it needs to be repeated here. I prefer Wilson Combat and Mecgar brand magazines. There are others out there for sure but those are my two favorites.

Keep your eyes peeled for used. I picked up a Springer TRP for $900. Its a damn nice pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep your eyes peeled for used. I picked up a Springer TRP for $900. Its a damn nice pistol. </div></div>

I'd buy one anyday for that.

I own two Sig 1911. One is a compact and a Tac Ops Carry. Both have functioned perfectly from day one. The compact is my EDC (switched from a M&P). For the money I would put them against my Les Baer any day. I shoot the compact better than the full size one. For the money I would buy another Sig in a heartbeat.

I have a Sig Tac ops and Blackwater model. Neither ran right from the factory.The BW took 1 trip to the factory and the Tac ops took 2 before it ran right.
The Tac ops is a duty gun and the other 7 Tac ops guns we got for the other SWAT guys had problems as well.They all seem to be running fine now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI... enough said </div></div>

Can you buy an STI for $1100? I ask sincerely...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D&DLONGRANGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber in a custom carry. I have one and love it.</div></div>

I use to want a Kimber TLE/RL II but now I won't touch a Kimber for any amount of money. After comparing Kimber to Springfield, in all aspects, the Springfield was the clear front runner based on price, customer service, and warranty.

Ruger has one around 800 . dont know much about it but I had a 357 that was unstoppable. I have a Kimber custom that had alittle work done to it Check the auctions you may catch someone sleeping!

Gotta ask on this thread about the Sig's. And this thread gives a little info on how they run. Do they run flawless? What ammo runs best in them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI... enough said </div></div>

Can you buy an STI for $1100? I ask sincerely... </div></div>

The Ranger II (Commander), and Trojan 5 go for about 1000.00 while the Spartan goes for about 625.00.

STI...Enough said X 2!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI... enough said </div></div>

Can you buy an STI for $1100? I ask sincerely... </div></div>

Can get a brand new Spartan for $650ish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta ask on this thread about the Sig's. And this thread gives a little info on how they run. Do they run flawless? What ammo runs best in them? </div></div>
I EDC a Sig 1911 TacOps. I've probably put around 2,000 rounds through it so far now. I've ran a lot me various ammo through it. Everything Wal-Mart sells in FMJ and JHP's, Georgia Ammo, Sillman ammo, Winchester Rangers, Hydrashocks, and some other SD loads. So far the only malfunctions I had were with some crappy no name mags from the gun show.

A few weeks ago I was able to shoot my buddies Ruger 1911. DAMN! It was smooth and very accurate. Not perfect, but very nice. I own 3 Kimbers and the Ruger shot as well. Trigger wasnt what I love, but it is about a $700 pistol around here. Buy the parts and fix it.
+1 for quality mags. I like the Wilson's.
I use whatever on range day, but for carry and such, I depend on Wilson.

I just looked for a commander 1911 in that price range and walked out with a desert eagle 1911C. Best commander for that price range hands down.

Good luck,
Merritt