• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911s....How do you carry enough Magazines

A manual safety is not nuclear engineering
IDK when I see them I remember this
1609453281010.png

Just to get sidewise in your ass I may get a Sig M18 - the USMC chosen low bid option - has a manual safety.

902-gif.94169

What are you shooting? Unlike the extractor, which is always a bit of a fit up, ejectors are really easy in 45 and can be a pain in the ass otherwise. In general, you want to have as little extension to your ejector as you can get away with. It makes life easier when dealing with ejecting live rounds, and gives you a lot more room. What kind of ejector are you using?

Shooting .357 SIG. This is an ejector that is likely fitted for a .40 S&W that was fitted by Nighthawk Custom (the particular 1911 in question is a NHC Talon II build that runs like a top). My only concern is the peening, which is atypical, otherwise, the pistol does not skip a beat.
Do you run nickel-plated brass in the guns with the ejector peening issue?

This has been fed a healthy diet of 90% brass-cased and 10% nickel-plated brass. All loads are factory.

This has been fed a healthy diet of 90% brass-cased and 10% nickel-plated brass. All loads are factory.
I wouldn't particularly worry about peening on an ejector, especially given that they are easily replaceable. It could be that with a non standard cartridge, you are just getting weird wear. You might want to send it back to NHC and ask them to both replace it, and to fit and finish a few extra ejectors for you. Then you could just replace them on a normal schedule. They are easy to fit on your own, but then they wouldn't have the same finish, and you might prefer not doing it yourself. To install is just one pin, and sometimes some pliers to yank the old one out like a rotten tooth. Bob Reeves is super easy to deal with there.

I totally get all that.

A RWD Porsche 911 RSR without any traction or stability controls is the WRONG car for most people, but in the right hands, nothing else comes close.
View attachment 7516290

I really think it's the same with [a properly set up] 1911. It's the wrong gun for most people, but for those willing to learn the platform, get it set up correctly, do the higher level of maintenance, and train with it, nothing else comes close. That's why all the die-hard fandom. . it's performance, not nostalgia.
I don’t know if this is the right comparison, I’ve owned a wilson, a few kimbers (all of the “high end” ones, worst guns on this planet IMO) still own a dw valor and a couple chuck Rogers colts, and a couple 70 series. a 1911 is a 60’s muscle car it does one thing good, go in a straight line, just like the 1911 has a good trigger, that’s it. Now a properly set up carry comped 2011 is like your Porsche.

I wouldn't particularly worry about peening on an ejector, especially given that they are easily replaceable. It could be that with a non standard cartridge, you are just getting weird wear. You might want to send it back to NHC and ask them to both replace it, and to fit and finish a few extra ejectors for you. Then you could just replace them on a normal schedule. They are easy to fit on your own, but then they wouldn't have the same finish, and you might prefer not doing it yourself. To install is just one pin, and sometimes some pliers to yank the old one out like a rotten tooth. Bob Reeves is super easy to deal with there.

That's great advice, and I have been contemplating sending it back to NHC for a bit of work; I've also thought about having another slide and barrel made in a complimentary caliber that I shoot more often. Every time that I think about it though, I remember that I don't need one...

That's a good point on the fitting and replacing - this gun sees a decent number of rounds, so a matching finish doesn't really matter to me. Thank you for the tip! Looks like Bob Reeves will be getting a call soon...

That's great advice, and I have been contemplating sending it back to NHC for a bit of work; I've also thought about having another slide and barrel made in a complimentary caliber that I shoot more often. Every time that I think about it though, I remember that I don't need one...

That's a good point on the fitting and replacing - this gun sees a decent number of rounds, so a matching finish doesn't really matter to me. Thank you for the tip! Looks like Bob Reeves will be getting a call soon...
Remember, the ejector is going to sit proud of the rear of the slide before blending, so having it finished isn't a bad idea. Your 357 should certainly be a ramped frame, and because of that you could have a whole second upper made. With the breechface of the 357 you would be stuck with 40 or 10mm. With a second upper you could get it in 9mm, which is cheaper to shoot (when there is ammo) and won't wear the gun at all. I don't know the difference between a 40 and 9 ejector, as I have no experience with 40 cal 1911s other than a NHC 10mm I no longer have, but my guess is they could get both to work.

Remember, the ejector is going to sit proud of the rear of the slide before blending, so having it finished isn't a bad idea. Your 357 should certainly be a ramped frame, and because of that you could have a whole second upper made. With the breechface of the 357 you would be stuck with 40 or 10mm. With a second upper you could get it in 9mm, which is cheaper to shoot (when there is ammo) and won't wear the gun at all. I don't know the difference between a 40 and 9 ejector, as I have no experience with 40 cal 1911s other than a NHC 10mm I no longer have, but my guess is they could get both to work.

So, it is funny that you mention it being a ramped frame, as it is a ramped frame, although I sometimes do wonder why they didn't make it a ramped barrel with a fully supported chamber. I've been debating a 9mm upper with a 9x23mm/38 super barrel, but I'm not currently reloading, so 9mm would likely make the most sense, on top of it being a cartridge that won't put a single bit of wear on the gun.

I don’t know if this is the right comparison, I’ve owned a wilson, a few kimbers (all of the “high end” ones, worst guns on this planet IMO) still own a dw valor and a couple chuck Rogers colts, and a couple 70 series. a 1911 is a 60’s muscle car it does one thing good, go in a straight line, just like the 1911 has a good trigger, that’s it. Now a properly set up carry comped 2011 is like your Porsche.

I tend to disagree with the '60's muscle car analogy - 1911s don't just have one thing going for them, they have multiple things: grip angle, trigger, multiple active safeties (for some), recoil impulse, and to a degree, accuracy. For those who choose to invest in learning the 1911 platform, the amount of customization and performance that can be wrung out of the gun is nearly unparalleled. I would have loved to see the Hudson H9 take the 1911 lineage in a uniquely 21st century direction, but unfortunately that didn't really happen...

Maybe to me there is something very special about shooting 1911s or (2011s for that matter), but pragmatically, I'll gladly carry a Glock 19 even though the ergonomics and trigger aren't what I would prefer.