• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1912 Steyr Chilean Mauser...

Sooter76

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Lincoln, NE
Can anyone tell me what the rear sight on the 1912 Steyr Chilean Mauser was graduated for? I understand that in 1913 the Chilean Mauser was loaded with a 139gr bullet, but I've also heard that they were later upgraded to a 162gr bullet. Can anyone tell me which weight would be most correct for the rear sight?

Can anyone tell me what the rear sight on the 1912 Steyr Chilean Mauser was graduated for? I understand that in 1913 the Chilean Mauser was loaded with a 139gr bullet, but I've also heard that they were later upgraded to a 162gr bullet. Can anyone tell me which weight would be most correct for the rear sight?
I couldn't tell you what they were graduated for, but I know they only went to 1800m as opposed to most Mauser rifles of that day being 2000m. Being as the original 7x57 Mausers were graduated for 2000m with a 173 gr. round nose bullet, those might be for the lighter round?

IMO, the original bullet they used would be correct.

Can you get your hands on the rifle? Maybe measure rear sight height off the center of the bore at the various settings?

Huh could have sworn they had a breakdown of the ammo and the sights I'll have to relook