• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1941 Enfield

Nice rifle, The British were a bit more evolved in Sniping back then then we were.

I love it. Don't know which I like best as far as sleek, purposeful sniper rifles: No.4 Mk I(T) or a 1903-A3. Both are perfect in their own ways.

Oh my, that's is very nice. You are very lucky to own that one.

New the copies need to be dissembled erector sets removed then cleaned and focused another $250. Then they are still a crap shoot.

I still have originals.

MJ1

the replica scopes are crap?? the replica mounts and scopes sell for over 700 and they suck?? i was thinking of building a replica enfield sniper. now i guess i will save and buy a real scope and mount.

There are ways around the problems. But you first must know it's not a case where you just screw the pads onto the receiver. The left wall must be machined parallel to the bore then the pads regulated to the bore for elevation and then the bracket to the bore.

There is a guy named Warren Wheatfield who buys the repro scopes and goes through them first before offering them. Also go check out a book by Peter Laidler titled An Armour's Perspective. Or PM me for links to posts by both people that will help on your project.

'42

There are ways around the problems. But you first must know it's not a case where you just screw the pads onto the receiver. The left wall must be machined parallel to the bore then the pads regulated to the bore for elevation and then the bracket to the bore.

real good info to know there!!!

I think it's been humped. Screw staking looks bogus no TR on the wrist and there are some other tells. You should be able to find a real one for $500 to $700 in good to very good condition. Look for a Savage in the 1942 to 1943 range. Staking or disturbing metal at the screws normally didn't take place till the first FTR in the shops and I don't see the normal FTR stamps..

1942 Savage one of the best as many never received scopes and are like new with four and five groove barrels.

On this '43 you can see the TR from H&H the T was often not added till 1944 or later at FTR plus some never received the T and the auction rifle has a lot of disturbed metal raised around the T but simular to this '43. I'm not expert and I'm not 100% sure it's humped but there are things to question, the butt plate is OK. There is another H&H tell missing but we keep that one to our selves..LOL Often the T was added by lower repair and unit armorers and put on at any angle the trooper cared if he didn't get his tea on time.
1943 BSA M47

...MJ...
Not an expert on anything. ;)

Last edited:
keep looking on Gunbroker. they come around often..

Try to get a No32 Mk3 that has the red W(waterproofed) and blue B (bloomed lenses) markings - the best of the bunch and possible for one man to zero on his own! Not cheap....but top of the tree

Earlier scopes (MK1) were prone to backlash issues and the Mk2 still required you to grow an extra hand and use the "zero tool" (which are normally long missing with the scope and the Ebay replicas tend to be POS)....a PITA!

You will also need to make sure that the scope you buy actually works...there are not many people left who can service them (as MJ1 says, Peter Laidler in the UK, Brian Dick in the US and maybe one or two others) and spares if needed are extremely scarce.

IMHO, given the above and the likely costs involved in returning it to functional condition a non-functional unit is probably little more than a wall hanger/curio these days so be careful.

Also, as MJ1 says....mounting these correctly requires a reasonably well-equipped and competent engineering shop. It is not a "drill, screw and hope for the best" gig.

This is a link to my clone build post from a while ago. My smith also has an article on his website covering the technical aspects of the build:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/62417-brought-home-weekend.html

www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk

Go to the "Armourer's Notes" tab and the No4T is the second entry on the list.

PS...MJ1...as always a lovely looking rifle beautifully photographed!

Last edited: