• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1941 Model 70 value?

Wireman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2005
Home
Bought this from a friend who bought it from a widow. Barreled in 250/3000 by Satern barrels. Looks shot very little. I have not shot it. Thinking of selling.

I'm not sure of the actual value, but I would not sell a rare rifle like you have there. Pre-64 Winchesters are collectors items and do fetch a good price on the market, and yours looks to be in very good shape.

If I were you, and didn't really want to shoot it, I'd store it as these only increase in value over time. Beaitiful rifle, I wish the FN ones came from the factory with a stripper clip.

Transition safety, re-barrel, polished bolt, drilled rear receiver bridge (defects)... $1200-$1500 on an average day to an informed buyer.

Like most firearms, Model 70 values are based on originality, condition and rarity. Your rifle has the rear bridge D&Td, it has been rebarreled and the bolt handle appears to be altered for scope use. All of these are negatives. It's a prewar with a bolt face that is correct for .250 a rare caliber. All that is good. There is an entire cottage industry counterfeiting the rare caliber prewar guns. SWAG evaluation is $1100.

Edit. I defer to WB, he posted while I was messing around. If he spotted a transition safety he knows more than I do.

Last edited:
I would sell it. Unless you have a need or appreciation for something you won't use, flip it and put money into something you will shoot.

My advise is worth what you paid for it.

TTR

Just bought a four digit p64 made in 1936 Sunday in 3006.

$875.00 is what it cost at Cabellas.

C.

You did well, congrats!
One redeeming feature (and there might be others) that may/ might make his worth more than your $875 / "1/2 that in my area" is that it's a target barrel (without the barrel band) in a 'non-target' stock. If that's were truly case (and not a sporter inlet to accommodate the target barrel) , it may be from an original National Match (and fakes abound.)
Lots of variables to consider and I hate raining on someone's parade.
And, I love the half dozen bone stock, unmolested, original pre-wars that I have-- favorite being a four digit, .270Win Carbine with original peep and hood.

Appreciate all the information. A couple more pics. Looks like it was re-barreled at Satern in 1951, although to me it doesn't look like the stock was altered after it left the factory. Factory magazine block. I have dies and am tempted to shoot it.