• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1943 Izhevsk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
Prescott, AZ
Enjoy...

1_zpseb616e56.jpg

2_zps6404c749.jpg

3_zps7de6ed07.jpg

4_zps034b01d6.jpg

5_zpscdb2cb2e.jpg

6_zps82767ebd.jpg

7_zps4de4e9cd.jpg

Here are her stats...

Length: 45"
Weight: 13.4 lbs
Receiver: 1943 Izhevsk high-wall
Barrel: UK-59
Caliber: 7.62x54R
Bore: .310" 1-10" twist
Barrel Length: 23"

I shot her this morning, and she doesn't disappoint!!

Here is the best five shot group of the day.

IMG_0821_zps53b2cd36.jpg

I used re-loads, Norma brass, CCI LR benchrest primers, and 53 grains of IMR4350 under a 174 grain SMK.

Damn!...the groups look even prettier than the rifle. Congrats and outstanding shooting! Is the UK-59 barrel what came with the rifle or did you put that on there?

I agree with the rest of the comments other than the knobs for the cheek piece are on the wrong side :cool:

Damn!...the groups look even prettier than the rifle. Congrats and outstanding shooting! Is the UK-59 barrel what came with the rifle or did you put that on there?

Thanks!! The barrel is actually from a Czech machine gun (UK-59)... Uk vz. 59 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Classic imported a bunch of un-fired barrels a couple years back and had someone thread them for the Mosin receiver (16 tpi). They were selling for $70-$80, but they've been sold out for atleast two years now. If you have any more questions about them, check out this thread on SRF. Surplusrifle Forum ? View topic - UK59 Barrel + Mosin Nagant: Ideas, Info, and Builds

I agree with the rest of the comments other than the knobs for the cheek piece are on the wrong side :cool:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!! The beauty of carriage bolts and jig knobs is that you can swap sides in about 10 seconds...

Thanks for looking guys, and for the compliments!!

T,

Somehow, you manage to keep "upping" your game with every build. Completely debunks the nay-sayers always yakking that the Mosin's split-bridge action can't be used as a base to produce a precision rifle. One ragged hole at 100 is impressive for ANY rifle...so for those that constantly say the Mosin "isn't worth __________(fill in the blank)" I say bullshit- and guys like you prove it...

Gotta admit, I'm still amazed at the accuracy of the MG barrels. Wonder if anyone's ever borescoped one? I mean, who would have expected that the Czech's would have produced what's effectively a near match-grade (if we're talking results) barrel to use on a machine gun? I'm getting ready to make a stock for a customer with one of the new McGowan barrels- hard to believe that it could shoot any better...

That brake really seems to be effective. Commercial, or did you machine that yourself?

Always looking forward to your projects. What's next???

Oh....and thanks for the mention at the end of the video... :)

Thanks Mike!!

I did look down the first one I did (with a borescope) and it was pretty smooth... not as smooth as a hand lapped one, but a hell'va lot better than a factory new barrel. I also believe that these were made in the late 80's and never fired. Even though they are MG barrels, you can't argue with results... everyone build I've seen with them shoots pretty well.

It's a muzzlebrakesandmore 4 port brake. Ported Muzzle Brakes it definitely reduces felt recoil... I think I'm going to put one on a future project.

Keep an eye out, I'll be finishing up my .220 AI and will post once it's shootable!!

Take care Mike!

I also have to agree, that is one of the best looking mosin conversions I've seen yet.

Do you know how it shoots with std ball or some of the factory/military loaded match/sniper ammo out there?

That is a completely stunning Mosin! I have to admit that I am very envious... well done, sir.

Nice looking and shooting stick, congrats. I see you still have her set to cock on open, you prefer that over the cock on close mod?

I didn't mess with the original design... however, I've found that if I cover all camming surfaces (on the bolt body/cocking piece/receiver) with some fine lapping compound and cycle the bolt w/ dry firing in-between cycles, then clean up and polish the camming surfaces, the bolt cycles SOO much smoother. I know Mosin's have a reputation for 'sticky' bolts... but I haven't seen one that couldn't be cleaned up.

I also have to agree, that is one of the best looking mosin conversions I've seen yet.

Do you know how it shoots with std ball or some of the factory/military loaded match/sniper ammo out there?

No, I haven't tried out any other ammo in her. This is my second build with the UK-59 barrel, and like the first I did it for a friend. The first one... here is a picture

toobright_zps587b3044.jpg

I ran S&B factory, Wolf, Silver bear, Mexican matched Silver bear (w/ 174 SMK's), and the same handloads (my go-to load of 53 grains of IMR 4350 under a 174 grain SMK)... Suprisingly the brass cased S&B performed the worst. The steel case stuff was right around 1 MOA for two consecutive five shot groups, and the mexican matched silver bear was solidly sub MOA, approaching 1/2 MOA. My go-to load performed just like this one, one ragged hole... the group in the picture was shot with that. I will say that the neck portion of the chamber is tight, and will influence the release of the bullet if S&B or Winchester brass is used and not turned. The Steel case and Lapua/Norma brass has thinner neck walls and are fine. I'm pretty sure this is why the factory S&B didn't do so hot.

That is a completely stunning Mosin! I have to admit that I am very envious... well done, sir.

Thank you!! Thanks to all you guys for looking, and taking the time to post!!

Where can I get a UK-59 barrel? I have a mosin that is collecting dust....

It sounds like there were a bunch imported a few years ago and threaded for the Mosin but have not been available for over two years now if I read it correctly.

@OP, damn nice rifle, well done.

You can find them occasionally on E-bay, gun-broker, and various gun forums. They usually go for $300-400+ though. When they were $70, they were a deal because they were deep chambered, and already threaded. You still had to do some machine work, but atleast you didn't have to shell out the $ for a reamer. Now that people are paying way too much for them, you'd be better off buying a brand new barrel from a reputable maker. Reamers can be rented, and the threads of the Mosin receiver are 16 tpi... any competent gunsmith could re-barrel one.

@OP, damn nice rifle, well done.

Thank you sir!

I will have to join the rest and say NICE rifle! :) Although I prefer the original versions for the sake of it this one is a rifle I would not mind shooting.

Prices are ridiculous when they can be found, as T stated.
Even still, many guys get in over their heads on them. No shoulder on the barrel, so a collar needs to be machined and fitted to the barrel as a means of setting the headspace. Not a simple project, as the barrels are chrome-lined as well.

As I mentioned, McGowan does make a barrel for them now. It's chambered in 54R- which frankly, I see as a liability. While there are some hunting boolits in .311, there's only one match-grade, and that's the 174 SMK.

If (famous words...) I had the lathe and knowledge, and were interested in re-barreling one, I'd get a match-grade .308 blank, rent a 54R reamer and thread it to fit the action. Then one could shoot the "heavies" in .308 for long range, huge selection of bullets, no modifications to the boltface, and the standard 54R FL sizing die with the .308 expander.

If (famous words...) I had the lathe and knowledge, and were interested in re-barreling one, I'd get a match-grade .308 blank, rent a 54R reamer and thread it to fit the action. Then one could shoot the "heavies" in .308 for long range, huge selection of bullets, no modifications to the boltface, and the standard 54R FL sizing die with the .308 expander.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. One could get around the barrel collar by using a Savage style nut. Also, Hornady makes a darn good .312 174 match but the 308 idea makes much more sense.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I will have to join the rest and say NICE rifle! :) Although I prefer the original versions for the sake of it this one is a rifle I would not mind shooting.

Thank you sir!!

I'll say a big +1 on that... I love my M28-76 (w/ the .308" bore), so much more bullet weights available. With the case capacity of the 54R almost as much as the 30-06, you can really launch the heavy .308" bullets.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. One could get around the barrel collar by using a Savage style nut. Also, Hornady makes a darn good .312 174 match but the 308 idea makes much more sense.

Yes, you can use a savage style nut... here is a UK-59 project that the smith did just that. Mosin Nagant for 1000 yards Alex ? ! - Page 1 - AR15.COM You would have to thread the barrel for the nut... on top of the rest of the machining, they start to lose there appeal real quick. Atleast starting from scratch with a blank, you can thread, cut the chamber, set the headspace, and then cut the extractor groove... With these you have to trim the breach end to set the chamber depth right, machine a collar to set the headspace and keep in mind the extractor is already cut, and time it while your doing everything else.

Great thread and even better rifles!! Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you sir!!

those barrels are hard to find nowadays. I ended up going with a LW barrel

it took some work but great rifles

nice job on yours

Thanks fmsniper... The thread on SRF about your M39 build inspired me to try and sporterize one, and since the first one I've been hooked!!

My first, a 1932 Tula...

SIDE_zps6f28ca7a.jpg

And a video taking her out...

[video=youtube;7aU-tZnxMBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aU-tZnxMBY[/video]

And since then I've done two 1943 Izhevsks w/ UK-59 barrels (those pictured above) and one from an M28-76 barreled action (w/ a 1900 Tula receiver).

4_zps409b8118.jpg

8_zps32f59876.jpg

The M28-76 has a .308" bore and is rapidly becoming my favorite rifle. I use her in the AZPRC matches and can hold my own... So far I have a 2nd rnd hit at 1455, though I'm hoping to try her at a mile sometime soon. I've got 45 MOA of cant built into the RSI base, and with the right scope, I can dial that far.

My latest project though is a 1943 Izhevsk that I closed the rear bridge on, and am chambering her in .220 Ackley Improved... That case fits the magazine perfectly, and I've got enough room to seat VLD's as long as I want and still fit in the magazine. I'll be finishing up that project this summer, and will post when she's in firing condition.

bedded_zps785b23a5.jpg

BRIDGE_zps9ac7d282.jpg

Thanks, Glad I could inspire some great work.
which stock do you like the best, my richards microfit is a little on the bulky side I am considering changing it out, also where are you getting your brass for reloading?

Thanks, Glad I could inspire some great work.
which stock do you like the best, my richards microfit is a little on the bulky side I am considering changing it out, also where are you getting your brass for reloading?

The original 'Big Gorilla Gunworks' stock (on the rifle in the OP) isn't too bulky, and will accomodate up to about a 1" dia barrel. There are more and more people/companies that are making offerings for the Mosin, and here are all that I know about.

http://www.biggorillagunworks.com/index.html

Bluegrass Stock Company

Boyds:

Mosin-Nagant

Utah Custom Gun Stocks :: Home

Archangel OPFOR Adjustable Stock M-1891 Mosin Nagant Polymer 5-Round

I'm a fan of the Big Gorilla Gunworks stocks... I've got a prototype on my M28-76. Alot of people like the bluegrass stocks, though I don't particularly care for the lines. The boyds are a great value, but they won't fit a heavy barrel (the forend is too thin). My least favorite are the cbrps because they have no solid way of attaching the scope mount. I'm not too particularly impressed with the pro-mag archangel either... though some people like them. I've also had no experience with the utah custom gunstocks.

There used to be a guy up in Ohio that put out a few... but he stopped making them. He put out several wood stocks, and they looked like SV-98 and AI stocks. https://www.google.com/images?q=lowel+designs+mosin+stock&hl=en&gbv=2&oq=&gs_l=

As for brass, the cheapest is by far PPU from Grafs & Sons Graf & Sons - PRVI PARTIZAN BRASS 7.62x54R UNPRIMED 100/BAG $0.50 apiece. I've heard (though I can't confirm) that this brass comes from the same plant that the Lapua brass comes from. So far the consistency has been great, and annealing every 4th firing I've got a batch of 200 that are on there 13th loading.