• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1961 Colt Detective Special

mikemcg9mm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Helena, Montana
Thought I would share my new purchase. Got it at the Great Falls Gun Show today. Its a 1961 production Colt Detective Special, 38spl, with box, unfired.

Ive got a detective special that was my grandpa's. Its worn to shit and has a broken grip, but its awesome. Probably will never shoot it, although its been shot a LOT in its day.

Yours looks nice, enjoy it. you going to keep it un-fired?

I plan on using it as it was intended. I am going to shoot it and carry it. I have a couple speedloaders for it, a couple of speed strips, and discovered it fits nicely in my galco summer comfort IWB holster for my s&w J-frame.

Very cool! Beyond long range rifles I am really into older revolvers; specifically Colt's and S&W's. That looks like a killer gun; I'd love to find something like it locally.

Ive got a detective special that was my grandpa's. Its worn to shit and has a broken grip, but its awesome. Probably will never shoot it, although its been shot a LOT in its day.

Yours looks nice, enjoy it. you going to keep it un-fired?

Wait... What... That's my story...broken grip and all...;)! Mine is a 1942, if my research is correct, serial number does not show up in the published Colt database but I'm told that can happen with guns that were originally agency purchased. Mine also came from my grandfather, via my uncle, both retired Chicago PD. I'm told it was my grandfather's duty weapon and my uncle used it as his bug. No matter what I feel humbled and honored to own it now!

OT: Nice pick-up OP, looks like the day it was made, enjoy!

Last edited:
Mine isnt that old, I think its from the mid 70's since it has a shrouded ejector which was introduced in 73. I want to say my uncle told me its a 75. My grandfather passed away just before I was born in 1982.

gratuitous picture of old wheel gun in the original box.
IMAG0490.jpg

Sorry to OP for the thread drift. Nobody around me locally seems to appreciate old wheel guns.