• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1964 Remington 700 SA

tunacan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Utah, SLC
I am purchasing a Rem 700 BDL SA that was manufactured in 1964. The guy is selling this thing dirt cheap and it is in great shape..

My question...Are the older Rem 700s any better than the newer ones? Im sure that the same tooling is used so the tolerances cant be too differnt from old to new, but was there anymore attention to detail back in then?

Fit? Finish? Tolerances? Accuracy?

It'll be added to my collection regardless, but I was just wondering. I have a few that were manufactured in the ealy 80s. I have done some accurizing to them and added high quality components and they are amazingly accurate.

I just wanted to know if this accuracy and smoothness of the action is indicitive of older Remington 700s or it is just luck of the draw..

Thanks in advance

Re: 1964 Remington 700 SA

I have three from mid to late sixties. All three have been built into custom rigs. Two 260s and one 6XC. I just like old shit.LOL

One was a 6MM Remington and almost brought a tear to tear it down, it shot .50 with 105 AMAX but oh well. It's now the 6XC by Texas Brigade Armory.

Are the older Rem 700s any better than the newer ones?

Pretty sure it doesn't have a rivetless extractor nor an anti-bind bolt rail, but still could be a nice rifle. At a minimum, replace the firing pin spring and cocking piece pin.

You're right it dosen't have the anit-bind slot, but this little action is smooth as silk.. I don't know if I have the heart to tear her apart