• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blueprinted Remington action vs

That must have been made by someone who thinks AI is the be all end all. LOL Pretty factual in everything except the AI part though.
It really just needs a feedback loop that restarts the whole search with the same results and from lots of comments the AI is just another vertical path.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Why would anyone choose to blueprint a Remington 700 action over buying a custom action like defiance or bat etc?

With the tighter tolerances and attention to detail of a custom action I personally would choose to just buy a custom action over putting money into a Remington but year after year I see people buying cheap 700 rifles to get the action to accurize. They end up spending just as much as a custom action by the time the gunsmith is done and newer aftermarket parts are in place.

What am I missing here.
I went the blueprinted and “trued” way several years ago due to cost. My first rifle was a 700 in .243 Win that was hammied down to me. When that barrel was toast I had it blueprinted, modified to accept the Badger M40 base, and the new barrel installation. All of that was ~$600ish compared to the cost of a reputable custom action.

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley_white
I also went the blueprinted route (twice) even though I own neither khaki cargo shorts nor Velcro shoes. One in 6cm and one in 223 AI. My gunsmith buddy owed me a couple favors. Both Hammie down actions and zero smith cost and they both shoot half MOA (if I do my part…).

Maybe for sentimental reasons. When my grandfather passed away my dad got a few of his guns, one of which is a R700 in 7RM. When I get my hands on it, it will get some work and get built into something nice

30 years ago I shot benchrest light varmint class with a 700SA/BDL rebarrel in 22PPC. The secret ingredients were action permanently glued into a Shilen BR stock blue printed to single shot (no magwell), a Sako-style extractor, bolt-release & safety deleted, 2.0oz Shilen trigger, and reloading dies cut from the same chamber reamer. Rounds were indexed to the bore, numbered to be fired in the same order each relay. Bob Pease did my tight necked barrel, action truing, and Wilson die set. Walter Berger was selling me his hand-made bullets using J4 jackets at the time, and his brother Nelson did my extractor conversion. We sometimes competed together at Camillus Range. The leather benchrest bags needed to be talcum powdered so the rig slid effortlessly with the silicone tape strip under the forearm. A 24X B&L boosted to 36X by Seibert was mounted in Kelbly line-bored aluminum rings. Stock was sprayed in a gorgeous silver metallic lacquer. At the time, this conversion was popularly known as the "poor mans PPC conversion". I only became poor after dumping all my money into a 700 action trying to compete against Stolle/Kelbly reciever rifles, and getting my ass handed to me due to lack of mirage reading experience at 100. Pay once, cry once. Dont bother chasing groups with a 700 action when so many viable alternatives exist, especially nowadays.

Real men wore frayed Levi cutoffs with white tube socks back then.

Last edited:
30 years ago I shot benchrest light varmint class with a 700SA/BDL rebarrel in 22PPC. The secret ingredients were action permanently glued into a Shilen BR stock blue printed to single shot (no magwell), a Sako-style extractor, bolt-release & safety deleted, 2.0oz Shilen trigger, and reloading dies cut from the same chamber reamer. Rounds were indexed to the bore, numbered to be fired in the same order each relay. Bob Pease did my tight necked barrel, action truing, and Wilson die set. Walter Berger was selling me his hand-made bullets using J4 jackets at the time, and his brother Nelson did my extractor conversion. We sometimes competed together at Camillus Range. The leather benchrest bags needed to be talcum powdered so the rig slid effortlessly with the silicone tape strip under the forearm. A 24X B&L boosted to 36X by Seibert was mounted in Kelbly line-bored aluminum rings. Stock was sprayed in a gorgeous silver metallic lacquer. At the time, this conversion was popularly known as the "poor mans PPC conversion". I only became poor after dumping all my money into a 700 action trying to compete against Stolle/Kelbly reciever rifles, and getting my ass handed to me due to lack of mirage reading experience at 100. Pay once, cry once. Dont bother chasing groups with a 700 action when so many viable alternatives exist, especially nowadays.

Real men wore frayed Levi cutoffs with white tube socks back then.
Sounds very similar to my introduction to BR except mine was chambered for a tight necked 6BR. Speedy Gonzales did mine and I used a Mcmillian stock and had a Leopold 24X scope. But no Frayed cutoffs!

• Wow
Reactions: lockedandloaded
Why would anyone choose to blueprint a Remington 700 action over buying a custom action like defiance or bat etc?

With the tighter tolerances and attention to detail of a custom action I personally would choose to just buy a custom action over putting money into a Remington but year after year I see people buying cheap 700 rifles to get the action to accurize. They end up spending just as much as a custom action by the time the gunsmith is done and newer aftermarket parts are in place.

What am I missing here.
Once in a blue moon Remington makes an insane rifle, usually senderos. You can spend just as much like you said but when building with top tier stuff the odds for a really really accurate rifle are much higher

:oops: ..... as I quietly throw my khaki cargo shorts in the garbage.

I had 1 700 LA trued and re-barreled. It shoots great, but as stated above, for just a few pennies more a custom action is the better long term option.

I've since switched to making my 700 actions a Remage with a BugNut as a less expensive alternative.

At some point in most people's lives, they stop keeping up with advancements and go buy Velcro shoes. Whatever era they're in when they hit the pause button is the era they stay in.

Last year a buddy of mine (non-shooter) asked where he could get the best price on a Leupy Mk4 mil/moa. I just hung up on him.
Better upgrade your account to Supporter- The Management

Reactions: Mj30wilson900