• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1980's Rambo Look-alike knife -?

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
There was a major cutlery manufacture like United or Curtis that made a kn ife near identical to the Jimmy Lile knife used in "First Blood".

Now not sure how it came up but a buddy of mien had one back in teh day and it was a "Decent" knife, mainly 440 stainless.

I was wanting one for a collectable, and I"d know the name if I heard it...

Ring a bell with anyone? Was not a cheapo knock-off like the $15 copies but was a near replica that ran about $200 back in 1984 or 1985...

Thanks,

Re: 1980's Rambo Look-alike knife -?

I'm pretty sure my Rambo III is made by United Cutlery. You can pick them up anywhere from 50 to 150 on ehay.

The Rambo knife, I remember one of the guys I was in the military with bought one to take on patrol but our Team Leader almost beat the shit out of him for being so stupid! I can't remember the company name of that knife.

Thing is, hte knife I was looking at back in the day was not license4d for "Rambo" or "First Blood" so it had no markings but was nearly identical although skinnier - just as long.

I keep seeing a chinese knock-off 25 year anniversary edition.

I doubt this knife would have been good in survival, maybe "OK" but sure would be nice to find one.

Yeah it may have been United Cutlery but nothing made these days by either them or replica's will compare to the original, which wasn't even THAT good -

I'm looking for the 80's version AS a wall hanger in fact
smile.gif

I have a BUCK 184 already...but that's a useful knife.

Buckmaster, another legendary survival knife. A friend of mine has one, I have heard it called a brick with a handle and I have to agree.

I used my Buckmaster for four years in Alaska, stayed sharp, cut everything from field telephone wire to spruce branches with it. Heavy but effective.

I sold it to a friend and he broke the tip so I bought another, without a blade, and put a blade on it...(Probably de-valued it doing that but it's my knife)..

Are you saying you bought a buckmaster handle and put a new blade on it? Did you find a new buckmaster blade? They are only held on with a nut, so it is very doable. Stout knives, just heavy. I have a few other custom hollow handle knives but my current carry knife is a Brian Johnson one that has removable scales with storage in the handle. He makes a great knife at a great price.

do you mean BUSHmaster?
http://budk.com/Knives/Bushmaster-Survival-Knife

licensed rambo knives:
http://knives.budk.com/search?w=rambo

with all the rambo knockoffs back in the day, there were many companies spitting them out, united cutlery being probably the "best" of them.

remember the $5.00 flea market survival knife with the golf ball sized compass on the end and the bottle opener / fish gutter built in the blade? HAHA, almost forgot about those

I remember the Buckmaster knives. I have a Gerber BMF slick blade, no saw teeth.

Cut

My buddy had the one with screw in spikes , so you could use it as a grappling hook.

Arctic, wow, blast from the past.

I had the great pleasure of knowing Jimmy quite well before the Rambo phenomenon and after. What a great gentleman and generous person he was, very much missed.

The knives you speak of were indeed 440c and were licensed out and built like popcorn. Lile, unlike later Hibbens were made in very limited serialized numbers (approx 100 per movie) and when Jimmy said "no more from me" the studio licensed the design (to a different scale) out to be massed produced. Hibben would make a 100 and then license them out himself. It was a major contributing factor to his getting the 3rd film.

Know this, there is absolutely no collectability in the massively run copies. Perhaps some utility, but zero collectable value.

Now, if you want to own a new and collectable variant, you do have choices now that the Lile shop is closed. You can buy an exact replica of the rarest teeth variant here. But, to my mind, there are few folks I care less for than the man responsible for this "run." I can not speak for the quality of the work here, but this was big news not so long ago. The price is, in my opinion, friggin' ridiculous. .

http://www.jimmylile.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=10

Why? Because of Martin Knives...exactly as Matt suggested.

Martin Knives...the finest kind of guys...Martin made a Grey Ghost for me to give to my son a few years back. I gave an original Jimmy's GG to my son only to find he never would allow himself to use it the way it was intended. The GG is by far the best of any really usable JL design so I asked Martins to make one for him out of s30v. I asked for perfect balance, work is nothing short of superb. I am not sure he will make a GG anymore but, if it was me, this is the route I would go.

http://www.martinknives.com/

A lile..

balance.jpg

A martin..

FINGERMARTIN.jpg

Collectable? No. Remarkable? yes,as good as Jimmy's work and he would have said so himself. A finer blade and design does not exist. I could guide you to more places to go but the price of the GG knife above was incredibly inexpensive for what went in it. How much say you. Five years ago this knife was less than $400. Not bad for 1/4" stock! This is a stout and heavy blade.

Arctic, here is one for you. Every one from Jimmy (except III, that from Hibben), every one in the low # range, every number the same, even the Hibbens. And that Hibbens is the only one ever made where every piece is Damascus, blade, bolster, bolt all Damascus. When the 1.5" thick bolster was forged it would be the last, every other one had either a SS blade and fittings or only a Damascus blade with SS fittings.

smaller.jpg

Good luck with your search. Buy something you can use. The truth of it is that the Rambo knives are only good for cutting ice on the back blade. Originally designed to cut cowlings, it does a poor job. The D2 was a hard working blade and the heat treating was superb. No, these are great knives on the cutting surface, strange knives on the back blade and the hollow handle, like the Randall was a great idea. Too long, past R1, to be practical. If its a Lile design you are after, go GG.

JIM-N-SLY.jpg

Pat, the Buckmaster won't grapple, nor will it take weight, but it will get a back pack full of food into the trees and away from the bears!

Arctic....don;t know a thing about these guys.

http://myramboknives.blogspot.com/2009/06/rambo-knives-are-coming.html

Years and years ago there was a small knife store in Fayetteville,NC called Black Dragon. They had the only true Lile knife I've seen in person. Had one of the Rambo 2 "Mission" knives. Always wondered what happened to it.

Cut

Guys I SHARPENED my buckmaster -it was a demo model and I wanted a useful knife

the knife i am looking for is NOT - I REPEAT IT IS NOT A RAMBO KNIFE!

It only "Looks" like on e, but it was a HIGH quality duplicate.

It's not an investment, just something I wanted - it's second from the left in that Lile pic above!

Like I said curtis cutlery, or United - I forget, they had one in a mall cutlery shop eons ago, like 1985. It was just something I liked.

Would I take a lile first blood knife? HECK YEAH - and if anyone wanted to sell one a reasonable price I'd be game!

I think my Step-Dad has a high quality variant of the Rambo knife . I will check it out next time I am up there and if I remember my camera I will take some pics .

I miss the Black Dragon store! They always had Parish survival knives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buck knives make the first one. I remember it because they had their manufacturing plant about a mile or two from my work. Great business.
http://www.buck-184.com/
buck184_02a.jpg

</div></div>

I have this knife, carried for 4 years in Alaska, it is worthy of a field knife, EXCELLENT knife.

I have since replaced it with a black one, it is strapped on my rucksack. Good knife for sure.

No survival kit tho, just matches.
smile.gif

Artic,

This Martin from RollingThunder's link above seems like a winner!
He offers it in my all time favorite S30V steel too! I've cut so many deer from field to table with my Strider in S30V it's simply amazing.

Martin link

It's not $3500! but it's not $19.95 either hahaha.

Robert Parish made some great knives, a rarity these days.