• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$1k for best 22lr rifle help

900-1k budget for 22lr.

I do not want to spend more than $900- 1k total to have the rifle in my hands ready to shoot. I have rings and scope already.

Leaning towards b-14r right now. Only 2 must haves are threaded barrel and LOP needs to be at least 14.25 but prefer a little more. Don't care if it's heavy and don't mind used. I don't mind piecing together

Thanks
Check out AREA 419 CZ with a few upgrades that have been mentioned above

900-1k budget for 22lr.

I do not want to spend more than $900- 1k total to have the rifle in my hands ready to shoot. I have rings and scope already.

Leaning towards b-14r right now. Only 2 must haves are threaded barrel and LOP needs to be at least 14.25 but prefer a little more. Don't care if it's heavy and don't mind used. I don't mind piecing together

Thanks
What do you want to do with it?
I bought a CZ 457 American with the intention of building a PRS rig. I put it in a KRG Bravo which has good adjustments, added a Timney trigger to get down to a 1 pound pull and has great adjustments, 419 30 MOA rail. It shot nice groups at 50yds and stayed together well out to 150yds. Did an ammo eval. It shoots Eley Match 1063 very good. Since I went that far, I went all in and put a Lilja 16 in threaded barrel on it and added a EC Tuner.
It’s a blast to shoot. Small groups never get old.
The point is start with a good action that is upgradable and add what you need to accomplish what you are doing with it.

Attachments

• 346F0A23-E98A-423F-B3F6-91A04525A0A3.jpeg
    346F0A23-E98A-423F-B3F6-91A04525A0A3.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 161
  • FE67A5D3-976E-41FC-BAC1-DBAC9A4EF7A9.jpeg
    FE67A5D3-976E-41FC-BAC1-DBAC9A4EF7A9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
I have a Bergara. I bought a barreled action and put it in a Bravo stock. I paid a little more than the OP. I really like the Bravo stock. The Bergara is a very fine and accurate rifle. It takes a bit to get it to feed good but that is because of the way they took an AICS type mag and changed it for 22. I talked with the guys at KRG and they sent me some instructions on how to make it fit right. One thing I really like about the Bravo is that once I put Their arca spigot and heavy arca rail on the stock, my rifle balances great and still only weighs about 12 pounds. I can set it on a bag on a tank trap and walk away.

I recently got a Vudoo and tried it in a chassis but I just did not like the chassis feel. I like a stock. The Vudoo is in a Bravo Xray stock and I am growing fond of it too. Again I had to fiddle a little with the fit to make it feed but I have no problems with either one now.

Owning both I will say the Vudoo seems a shade more accurate. But would there be a difference if I took the Bergara to a good smith and put the thousand extra dollars in it? I have the Vudoo set up as an ELR rifle and the Bergara for NRL22 matches. I have used the Bergara in some outlaw type PRS matches and any misses were my fault and not the rifles. We do not have a lot of PRS matches in my area of Gerogia so I have to travel and only get to shoot 2 or three a year. The monthly NRL22 match I go to usually has two options for each stage. One stays within 100 yards and the other stretches it out some. Both rifles shoot so well that the monkey behind the trigger is the limiting factor.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Begara. My only wish is that they and Vudoo would make mags with the adjustable catch. Get what you want. If you try and settle for less you will regret it down the road. I know The Vudoo is a great rifle but the Bergara is close enough that you will really have to be a good rifleman for it to make a real difference. We have a guy at our monthly match that uses a Savage rifle with an Athlon Midas Tac scope. He regularly finishes in the top five of any match he enters. He even travels to PRS style matches and has a few trophies to show for it. I think we sometimes get caught up in the equipment race. Get what makes you happy.

this is such an underrated response, I cannot like it enough. unfortunately, the 22lr world here on the Hide has jumped all-in on chassis guns, but the 1416HB is just a thing of beauty and a real value. i picked one up here on the hide several years ago for about $800. it seems that in current production they have been discontinued. probably because of the chassis trend i mentioned above.

oh well. the tastes of the market and shooters change. current trends are why i have been able to pick up fully loaded Winchester 52b rifles with Lyman or Unertl scopes and multiple sets of open sights for $1600-ish OTD. and why an old 40X converted repeater came my way in an old McMillan stock for what i deemed a screamin' deal.

For what we're doing the old stuff is old and dated.

We have several guys who own and shoot Anschutz for 4 position. They all broke down and changed after attempting to use them in prs/nrl style comps.

And you're still off in left field.

And you can still go fuck yourself.

Damn, getting spicy!

Just because you think they're amazing does not make it so. They're a nice plinking rifle, but they don't have the ability to run with the better rifles out there. Add in the complete crap customer service and they're not worth it.

Damn, getting spicy!

Just because you think they're amazing does not make it so. They're a nice plinking rifle, but they don't have the ability to run with the better rifles out there. Add in the complete crap customer service and they're not worth it.
I'm not seeing any Bergara B-14's shooting multiple sub-1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards with bulk ammo... It doesn't do it all the time, but more often than not...Which I attribute to ammo inconsistency due to the rage for demand over the last 1.5 years. If there are, I must have missed them.

And I never said it was amazing, but for $800 it's a solid option, just because you had a bad experience and hate them, doesn't mean it's not. Yet, you still feel the need to chastise me every time I mention one. Which is childish and pathetic.

Is it a $2,500 Voodoo? No. Is it perfect? No. But for $800 it's a damn-accurate .22 LR. Also, their CS has been excellent in the past...Until I started posting more on this forum, I'd never heard of any negative CS with CA. I dealt with them many years ago, and they were great.

I'm not seeing any Bergara B-14's shooting multiple sub-1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards with bulk ammo... It doesn't do it all the time, but more often than not...Which I attribute to ammo inconsistency due to the rage for demand over the last 1.5 years. If there are, I must have missed them.

And I never said it was amazing, but for $800 it's a solid option, just because you had a bad experience and hate them, doesn't mean it's not. Is it a $2,500 Voodoo? No. But for $800 it's a damn-accurate .22 LR. Also, their CS has been excellent in the past...Until I started posting more on this forum, I'd never heard of any negative CS with CA. I dealt with them many years ago, and they were great.

"It can do it when the stars align!"

Give it a rest.

It's all proprietary. Can't upgrade to a chassis, can't swap anything but a trigger.
You're better off with a CZ or Tikka for cheaper, and the ability to change as you need.

You're excited you got a good one. Doesn't mean it's good for everyone.

"It can do it when the stars align!"

Give it a rest.

It's all proprietary. Can't upgrade to a chassis, can't swap anything but a trigger.
You're better off with a CZ or Tikka for cheaper, and the ability to change as you need.

You're excited you got a good one. Doesn't mean it's good for everyone.
Oh, you mean a CZ that uses weird European threads, proprietary stock, triggers, and actions? Only like 2 models they offer use 1/2x28...The rest are some weird metric shit.

Tikka is a good rifle, but it's also PROPRIETARY stocks, actions, and triggers...

Yes, I am excited I got a good one...Wouldn't you have been, had you? 🤦🏼

And it does it a hell of a lot more often than when the stars align. I shoot 4" steel plates @ 200 yards every time I go to the range. Once I'm sighted in, I rarely go back to the 100 yard range (there's no challenge for me)...Usually I head straight to the 200 for LR .22 fun. And when you can put someone who's NEVER fired a .22LR at distance (usually beyond 50 yards), behind it, tell them where to aim...And they pull the trigger, and they can do the same thing at least 5/10 times @ 200 yards, then I'd say it's not just luck, or "when the stars align". I call that a good gun.

And just because you had a shitty one, and handful of other people did, too... And their first run had a few ejection issues (which were quickly corrected a long time ago), doesn't mean the whole rifle is shit, and doesn't mean all of them in existence are/will be shit.

Also, the CA Ranger 22 uses Remington 700 triggers (comes factory with a Trigger Tech), and Ruger 10/22 mags. So, I'm not sure what you mean by it's all proprietary, other than the action, stock, and scope rail (which you can buy higher ones from CA for like $60)... 🤔

Last edited:
I saw a young dude at an ARA Factory match with a Ranger. He came in last. The owner of the venue gave him some good Ammo for the next match. The next time he still placed really low. His set up is decent. He’s got a good lot of ammo, but just can’t hang with the CZ’s and Tikkas. The last time I talked to him he was looking to buy a CZ.
We all like to see new, younger people coming into the sport. I know the older guys feel bad for him and don’t want to see him get discouraged. I’m betting one of them cuts him a good deal on a CZ.

Reactions: WeeHooker
Good to know. I’ve been looking at the KRG Bravo for my B14. I had not read or heard of mag issues. Thanks.
Seems reports of this is really hit or miss. I have a KRG Bravo on my steel B14r and all 4 of my factory mags fit and perform flawlessly. ( The same goes for my factory HMR stocked B14R carbon BTW) I did ( at the advice of someone on another forum) tighten the action in the stock with the mag in place though. I think the KRG statement is more of a CYA thing vis a prediction of events.

Reactions: r3plicator
I've had the T1x, Bergara, and multiple 457s and really can't get over the 457. It's such a good value with the quality and accuracy. I've had a vudoo for a short time too but sold to fund other things. Here's some of the first groups I shot with my 457 Varmint with Eley Practice.

Attachments

• 20220112_172914.jpg
    20220112_172914.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: r3plicator
I have a CZ457 at one that I have been shooting suppressed with SV CCI. I picked up a Ranger 22 a few weeks ago. I plan to do a side by side comparison on them tomorrow. The only complaint I have on the Ranger at this point is it feels like you are holding the gunnel of a fiberglass boat.