• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Training Courses 1k+ yd range in San Diego

Justadude

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2014
San Diego
Hey guys,

Im new to this forum, but have been lurking and following you guys for some time now. You guys always seem gtg in my book.
So here is what I have going on, if anyone is interested, please let me know, or if you have any suggestions, please let me know as well.

I have a 1030yd range (with a target at 1500yds as well) here in San Diego (30 mins East of Alpine). I have about 10 pieces of steel set up at varying distances and the steel can be moved around as well. This is ALL private property which is fenced and locked (so its safe at these distances). I was looking to see if I could make a little extra money, so I thought I would open this up and see if anyone is interested. Im just gonna ask for a $35 donation for range expenses and that you sign a waiver. You can stay as long as you want and even shoot at night (We often do M4 shoots with PVS 14's). Here is my disclaimer. This is NOT a public type of range, which means it IS "real world scenario" type of shooting. No concrete pads to shoot from, only an EZ-Up for shade, and at times it gets hot and windy. Just wanna be up front and honest. I also have the ability to set something up for high angle shooting (30*+) if you don't mind hiking up a pretty steep ridge line. Also, I can set up a target out to 2k meters for guys that have some experience. Im also planning on limiting it to 5 guys per day (Sat and Sun). Anyways, that is the "run down". If anyone is interested and would like some more info, email me at [email protected].

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Stay low, shoot straight, and leave the rest for the counselors in 10 years.

I think you will have several takers as there are plenty of folks out here in SoCal always looking for a place to shoot. Some issues you might need to consider are types of ammo and range supervision. As the fire danger is so high in this area you may have some issues with local FD/PD if there is a constant and steady flow of shooters. While you can dictate ammo specifics for the area, you may need someone out there to keep an eye on things to make sure people stay within whatever guidelines you establish. I would like to think that anyone showing up would be safe, follow the rules, and leave the area in a better condition in which they found it but you know as well as I do that some just don't give a crap and will trash the place and expect others to clean up after them. Is this range going to be "open to members at all times" and they each have a key to a gate or do you plan on opening the range at set times when the gate will be open and closed? I have shot a few times out in Alpine and that area is nice (although July and August can be a tad warm). I will follow the thread and see how it develops. As I now live in Riverside county I just drive out east in the desert and shoot away but having another option is good. You might want to post this in the sniper's hide members linkup thread under "San Diego PEEPS" and you may get a larger response.

Hairball,

Thanks for the response and recommendations. My intentions for the range are limiting it to 5-6 guys per day, and Saturdays and Sundays only. It is not going to be "open" or available for the general public. If guys are gonna be out there, then I will be there as well. I cant give out gate keys due to liability issues, but if guys wanna shoot, all they would have to do is give me a heads up and I can meet them out there pretty much anytime. As for ammo restrictions, steel core, tracer, incendiary, etc is not permitted either, but I don't really know anyone that uses that stuff at distance anyways.
Again, thanks for the recommendations, and keep them coming. All your guys' help is appreciated.

-M

Hey guys,

Im new to this forum, but have been lurking and following you guys for some time now. You guys always seem gtg in my book.
So here is what I have going on, if anyone is interested, please let me know, or if you have any suggestions, please let me know as well.

I have a 1030yd range (with a target at 1500yds as well) here in San Diego (30 mins East of Alpine). I have about 10 pieces of steel set up at varying distances and the steel can be moved around as well. This is ALL private property which is fenced and locked (so its safe at these distances). I was looking to see if I could make a little extra money, so I thought I would open this up and see if anyone is interested. Im just gonna ask for a $35 donation for range expenses and that you sign a waiver. You can stay as long as you want and even shoot at night (We often do M4 shoots with PVS 14's). Here is my disclaimer. This is NOT a public type of range, which means it IS "real world scenario" type of shooting. No concrete pads to shoot from, only an EZ-Up for shade, and at times it gets hot and windy. Just wanna be up front and honest. I also have the ability to set something up for high angle shooting (30*+) if you don't mind hiking up a pretty steep ridge line. Also, I can set up a target out to 2k meters for guys that have some experience. Im also planning on limiting it to 5 guys per day (Sat and Sun). Anyways, that is the "run down". If anyone is interested and would like some more info, email me at [email protected].

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Stay low, shoot straight, and leave the rest for the counselors in 10 years.
Thank you very much. My twin brother and I will be contacting you shortly.