• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1lb vs 8lb powder

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    Other than overpaying by a little, is there a disadvantage of getting 1lb'ers over 8lb jugs? I've always stayed away from 1lb jugs to minimize variation. Do places like powder Valley typically send you 1lb jugs that are the same lot?

If your worried about that, then mix it properly in one of your 8 lb jugs that are used to ensure it is consistent, that will fix lot variation too.
    8 lb in theory can be more consistent i guess, but 1 lb jugs from the same lot is good to go from my experience.

If your worried about that, then mix it properly in one of your 8 lb jugs that are used to ensure it is consistent, that will fix lot variation too.
    8 lb in theory can be more consistent i guess, but 1 lb jugs from the same lot is good to go from my experience.

Do places like powder Valley usually send the same lot 1lb jugs?

Powder Valley, Bruno's, 3rd Generation, and a few others that I have regularly purchased powder from in one lb jugs always have sent them from the same lot. Typical purchases were in the 3-10 lb (total) range. If you were ordering larger numbers of 1 lb canisters (15-20 lb or more), perhaps they might come from mixed/different lots more often.

With the powder shortages we are still seeing places like Powder Valley don't have the stock from multiple shipments around on the popular stuff so you can almost guarantee you will get the same lot #. I've yet to have anything not in the same lot number when purchased at the same time from them.

The only disadvantage to buying the 1# vs the keg is that the prices are generally more expensive and they take up more space. So long as they are all from the same lot number you should not have any issues.

Like others have said you do get a more consistent powder over an 8lb jug than (8) 1 pounders. So I go with 8lbers when there available. But right now i'll just go for whats in stock! Lol

Do places like powder Valley usually send the same lot 1lb jugs?

Seems as you got your answers from someone who can answer them better then me.
    If you look at my location you it will be quite apparent i have never bought anything from powder valley, but my experience from suppliers here is that i get powder from the same lot as long as they have it in stock.
    And honestly i wish that some of the powders that are currently available in the US, was so here too in stead of a few ones, sadly there are special import taxes on gunpowder that makes Norma and VV very dominant on the market.
    The only positive is that i have a steady supply of them.

I buy both 1 lb and 8 lb containers. If I have a lot of reloading in the works, I will use the 8 lb container. If I am reloading in smaller quantities, I typically use the 1 lb container. My plan is to keep the majority of the powder factory sealed so I have opened powder exposed to the elements for the shortest time possible. I doubt that it really makes much of a difference since I don't have opened containers sitting around for years at a time, but it is a system that works for me.
    When I order 1 lb containers, I always order full case quantities and I have always received powder from the same lot number. Same goes for 8 lb containers, order case quantities to receive the same lot numbers.

If I have to money and they're available. I get the jugs. BUT... I fill 1 pound bottles to actually work out of. I also use masking tape on the lid and write the date I bought it, the date I open it, and where I bought it. That is to help ME use the oldest powder first.

Good luck,
    Victor

I would prefer 8#, but those seem to be rare these days. If forced to accumulate 1# bottles from different lots, I will get 5-8 and then blend them before working up the load. I'm talking about blending the same powder from different lots, not mixing powder types. I'm sure the safety book guys will be along shortly to tell us that I'm going to blow myself up by doing this. My theory is this: If one of those lots was so dang far out of spec that it was going to blow a gun, I'd rather have it comprising 20% of my load than 100%. It's always worked for me. YMMV.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ccb3e140/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I would prefer 8#, but those seem to be rare these days. If forced to accumulate 1# bottles from different lots, I will get 5-8 and then blend them before working up the load. I'm talking about blending the same powder from different lots, not mixing powder types. I'm sure the safety book guys will be along shortly to tell us that I'm going to blow myself up by doing this. My theory is this: If one of those lots was so dang far out of spec that it was going to blow a gun, I'd rather have it comprising 20% of my load than 100%. It's always worked for me. YMMV.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ccb3e140/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I've done worse than that. IF... you're really careful and KNOW what you're dealing with and how to do it, you'll be fine.

Good luck,
    Victor