• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1st plane and 2nd plane scope??

Re: 1st plane and 2nd plane scope??

Simply, with FFP, the reticle changes relative to the magnification. With SFP, the reticle stays the same size regardless of magnification. I don't know how to make it any more straightforward.

When ranging, a FFP scope's reticle will remain accurate at any magnification, a SPF's reticle will only be accurate at a indicated magnification level. Down side to a FFP IMO is the use of the reticle in lower power settings, the reticle seems to be a little small for my liking.

advantages are being able to range at any power level

The advantages of FFP far out weigh the perceived disadvantages.

True, but when im at the range shooting know distance, I almost like my SPF better just because its large and in Texas during the summers I cant always use the top range of my scope

How low do you dial down that using the reticle becomes a problem? I can dial down to 8x and easily use my FFP as if it were at top power. I have shot in TX before also and never had to dial low enough that I had a problem using the reticle.

For a KD target range a SFP would work well as many F Class guys use them but for a tactical optic where the reticle is used then the FFP is a much better option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a KD target range a SFP would work well as many F Class guys use them but for a tactical optic where the reticle is used then the FFP is a much better option. </div></div>

agreed. In the 100 plus days down here I can only get about 17-18 out of my NF, not really a problem as it is a prefrence. Only issues down low is I just dont personally like it 4-5ish especially when shooting 50 yards with the 22s. I usually shoot around 6-7x at 100 and I dont have much problems with them, although still alittle small

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The advantages of FFP far out weigh the perceived disadvantages. </div></div>

This should be the add slogan for ffp scopes.

In all seriousness, I've been shooting a ffp in F-Class lately, as well as other forms of shooting, and even on 25x power the reticle is more than thin enough to see your target. Mirage plays a lot more of a factor on target visibility than the reticle does. Especially at 500+ yd.

The pRoblem I see with the bigger power ffp scopes is that you cannot range at the higher magnifications on most. You can use most of the reticle bit once past 12-15 power you start to loose a lot of the reticle. For targets or hunting or f-class I would say the best SFP scopes are more desirable for most people. If you are relying on ranging every target you shoot then you pretty much have to have a ffp.

Having the reticle subtend corectly at any power has many more advantages than just ranging.

wind, movers, holdovers, other people calling corrections...

I have never personally found a situation where in practice I wished I would have had a SFP.

My F-Class scope is second plane and that works just fine. No one I have ever shot with, even in practise, ever corrected in Mils.

My hunting scopes are first plane and mildot or genII. The mildot profile works better in poor light conditions- not that I can read them at 3.5X at last light, its I can SEE it under those conditions.

Couple of hunters with the TMR noticed under low light the reticle was very difficult to see much less use. One said there were daylight issues with certain backrounds, the TMR tended to washout.

Under pure paper punching conditions I never lacked while using the first plane scope. For hunting shy big game the second plane has been very helpful.

Before you decide on a First Focal Plane scope, take a good long look at one with the power dialed ALL THE WAY DOWN. I did, and I didn't like what I saw.

A reticle's first and foremost function is to put the target in the crosshairs. A rifleman does this EVERY TIME he aims his rifle. The crosshairs should be just thick enough to see in low light and no thicker. The image and reticle should be SHARP at all magnifications.