• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st post question on what to build

sono

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
SW Ga.
Ok been lurking a while and have decided to build. Here is the decision. I'm going to build an ar type rifle in 6.8SPC or .223.
In 223 I have alot of ammo and rifles. I also have an AAC M4-2000 that could be used with this rig. Ammo is cheaper and like I said before already got mags and such.
The 6.8 sounds good due to better knock down and less effected by wind. I own nothing in 6.8.
The rifle will mainly be a toy for 500yrd max. I might hunt with it but kinda doubt it. With money a factor and what I already have what do you say? I'm just worried that the 223 at longer ranges just aint got it. However it's another caliber to buy. Ugh decisions!

Re: 1st post question on what to build

I'd stick with the 5.56 and get trigger time....Guns no good if you can't afford to shoot it. Just start your build with a quality barrel (i.e Noveske, Larue, pof, LWRC....) with a 1:7 or 1:8 and shoot the heavier pills.

Re: 1st post question on what to build

If you can afford to shoot it, 6.8 is a great round. Same recoil as 5.56 but much more power. Ammo is not as easy to get as 5.56.