• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 1st time at the dot drill

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
So after group shooting the first 100 round or so of my rifles life, I decided to use untested ammo (nosler custom comp 168, HSM Berger VLD 168 for my .308) Well I learned... I have A LOT to learn.

Diagnosis anyone?

IMG-20110626-00046.jpg

Nosler^

IMG-20110626-00045.jpg

HSM^

These are absolutely terrible.

Re: 1st time at the dot drill

was this prone supported? you say you shot groups for the first 100 rounds, what kind of groups had you been seeing prior to this? If this was shot at 100yd what magnification did you use? if it was over 10x your way to high. dial down and dont chase your last shot. just hold same point of aim on each shot at each dot. you will find your point of impact to be common and it will be much easier to diagnose the problem. based on the targets you provided I would say you are having issues with body position, breathing and trigger control. possible eye relief issues as well. make sure there is no scope shadow in the field of view.

good luck.

It was from the bench with just a bipod, I would prefer prone but cant shoot prone where I was at, I'll definitely dial down the magnification I didn't even think about that I was on 14x. The eye relief isn't an issue.

My groups are usually between 1/2" and 1" (still looking for the right ammo.) It's probably not the greatest idea to try the dot drill while testing new ammo huh?

You're right though it is most likely trigger issues. Time to get back to dry firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PhOnEpHrEaK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My groups are usually between 1/2" and 1" (still looking for the right ammo.) It's probably not the greatest idea to try the dot drill while testing new loads </div></div>

Youre right which is why I won't attempt this until I get the right load.

I'll just get disappointed and blame it on my shooting, where it might be inconsistent loads to begin with

Try a rear bag to to help you steady the shot, in addition to everything else already said. It simply looks like the gun is not being pointed in the same place each time.

Not that I am an expert but some more dry firing along with good ammunition for the rifle will go along way. I would say that cheek weld might be posing a problem. Get good ammo for your stick and have a friend watch you shoot to check position and possible driving errors . Best of luck

Consistency is also key. Being able to repeat each shot almost the same is good. Keeping your trigger pull the same while keeping breathing under control. Or at least this is how i see it. When shooting groups i notice differences between trigger pulls that are vastly different. Neither are jerks, but one is fast squeeze the other is slow and groups change.