• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st time out in about 3 months...

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
And I had a blast!

I hope everyone had a great weekend/Labor Day. Here's how my day went
wink.gif

Several months ago, when I was still shooting weekly, a fellow member gave me some directions to a shooting spot. Today I finally made it out there, and boy am I glad I did! Long boring story short, we finally made it to a spot where we could easily get a good solid 100 yards in one direction (with the wind at our back even!) and to our 8:00 there was another small mountain at about 200 yards. Then lastly, at our 7:00 there was a good 300 yards. Perfect spot! The only problem was finding a line of sight... So we just stuck with 100
grin.gif

Alright, so the last time I posted a target I was having problems with my rifle and the way it was stringing. I know what the problem is, but haven't fixed it yet. So I had the same problem today, go figure! I don't really care though, I'm just happy to be shooting. Oh, and I did it 100% prone this time, which was new for me as most of my shooting is done off of a bench... I've been trying to get away from the bench for a while now, and i'm happy to say I must be doing it right because for one, my chest doesn't hurt as bad as before, and two, my groups are almost the same size as before.

Without further ado, here's the target:
Pictures002-1.jpg

As you can see, I actually only fired 24 of the 25 shots. When I get around to fixing the problem i'll make it my goal to clean the TQ4. Also, shooting in the wind is getting easier. It was originally at our back gusting from i'd say about 5-12MPH, but then switched to hitting us from the right side at about the same.

After that small amount of rimfire action, I set up with the 223 and sighted it in for the target. The trigger on that thing feels like 7 or 8 lbs... Hard to get used to on such short notice. Anyways, I shot that 77SMK ammo I loaded up a while back and saw that i'm no-where near capable of noticing the difference between heavily sorted loads and "thrown together" loads. So I won't be doing that again for a while! I did confirm that I can still shoot well enough and that the stringing in my 22lr is in fact the rifle, and not me. Looking at the setting on the turret to get zero'd, I estimate the target was placed about 130 yards. And my groups with the 223 were a tad below MOA. The rifle is still capable of that much, which is all I can ask for at my skill level.

After shooting 3/10 of the ammo I brought, I decided I wanted to stretch it's legs a bit more. So I looked around, and noticed that if we set up camp at the top of a small hill about 400 yards to our right side, and fired at a mountain from that position, we could get about 800-900 yards. That would have been awesome!
cool.gif
But, we didn't, because anyone who lives in 100+ degree heat knows that you can only spend so much time effin' around before you're worn out. So we packed up and saved the "long shots" for another morning; probably sometime within the month though.

I didn't get around to all of the shooting I wanted to do, but I had a blast doing the small amount we did do. I also didn't get around to writing about all the stuff I forgot to bring either.
grin.gif
Taping targets to a dirty plastic tote is very difficult to do without any tape... so we improvised and used torn off peices of lint roller
laugh.gif
Imrpovise, Adapt, and Overcome right? Yes.

Overall, I had a fantastic weekend. I hope everyone else did too, and with that, I'm out!

-Dylan