• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1x prism and magnifier

dgheriani

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
So apparently I have an astigatism, haha... I have red dots on almost all my rifles (as offsets on bolt and offsets or primaries on gas guns) and pistols and have no issues using them effectively although the dot isn't necessarily super crisp (this is with quality red dots, Aimpoint Micros, Acros, PROs). I had only ever really used magnifiers with Eotechs (EXPS 3-2 and 3-4) and the dots although not perfectly crisp, were usable. Yesterday I tried a 6x Vortex magnifier behind my Aimpoint Pro and the dot was just a messy diagonal splotch...

Since I doubt that a higher end magnifier would make any difference, that got me to thinking about trying a 1x prism with a magnifier. When I look at Primary Arms' website, they say their 1x is compatible with their magnifier. Vortex however says that their 1x prism isn't compatible with their magnifier. Being that I don't imagine the "tech" is any different between those 2 brands (as they're just OEMing china stuff anyways) I was curious why one brand would say it's a go and another wouldn't. The only real issue I could imagine would potentially be eye relief so I'd be curious to hear from anyone who's tried this kind of setup. Is this a viable setup or am I better to just get an Eotech? Is there a reason that the dots are crisper with a holo like the Eotech than with red dot like an Aimpoint?

I asked DLO about this and he said the PA 1x works with the 3x magnifier and I think he uses this setup on one of his guns. I'm going to give it a try.

Another option for those with astigmatism is a holographic and magnifier. I just looked through a Vortex UH-1 and 6x magnifier and it looked fine and I have astigmatism.

Reactions: dgheriani
Thanks. Curious to hear how you like it. I also found that the Eotech was much better behind the (6x) magnifier than the Aimpoint was. Maybe I just need to grab an EXPS 3-2 as I like the double dot for holdovers anyways...

Ours is not a off the shelf design. It is our own optical system. You are welcome to give one a try and if you are not happy with the results we will take it back and pay return shipping
And the company you represent is…..? Sorry, this post of yours doesn’t have any info on which product you are supporting, vortex or PA? I am curious to try a prism design as all my red dot aimpoints have an astigmatism meteor tail.

Sorry I guess have to hit toggle signature to show my info

1699912346412.jpeg

Well, the PA 3x magnifier came in this PM. It works great. Just had to back the magnifier diopter just about all the way out like the video said. The 1x micro prism reticle became large and easy to see magnified. It was hard for me to see without the magnifier. It added about 10 ounces though with the mount. The only negative was no instructions came with the PA flip mount to give torque specs.

Well, the PA 3x magnifier came in this PM. It works great. Just had to back the magnifier diopter just about all the way out like the video said. The 1x micro prism reticle became large and easy to see magnified. It was hard for me to see without the magnifier. It added about 10 ounces though with the mount. The only negative was no instructions came with the PA flip mount to give torque specs.
Which magnifier and mount did you get? I will check to see if there should have been a manual with it

Which magnifier and mount did you get? I will check to see if there should have been a manual with it
The SLX 3x magnifier and this mount:

Is the other PA flip mount without the button that's out of stock right now lighter than than the one I got?

If you have an astigmatism, and still want to use your red dot like a red dot (both eyes open, unlimited eye-relief) an EOTech is probably the best choice to throw a magnifier behind. The EOTech is a holographic system that works better for those with astigmatism due to how it projects the dot.

A prism is just a fixed-power scope, so eye-relief becomes a factor, as well as how close to 1X the prism actually is (so it doesn’t give you a headache when running both eyes open).

The SLX 3x magnifier and this mount:

Is the other PA flip mount without the button that's out of stock right now lighter than than the one I got?
I will get one pulled and weighed.

Also very easy to run with both eyes open and eye relief is very forgiving. The added advantage is you have a reticle if the battery dies.

So apparently I have an astigatism, haha... I have red dots on almost all my rifles (as offsets on bolt and offsets or primaries on gas guns) and pistols and have no issues using them effectively although the dot isn't necessarily super crisp (this is with quality red dots, Aimpoint Micros, Acros, PROs). I had only ever really used magnifiers with Eotechs (EXPS 3-2 and 3-4) and the dots although not perfectly crisp, were usable. Yesterday I tried a 6x Vortex magnifier behind my Aimpoint Pro and the dot was just a messy diagonal splotch...

Since I doubt that a higher end magnifier would make any difference, that got me to thinking about trying a 1x prism with a magnifier. When I look at Primary Arms' website, they say their 1x is compatible with their magnifier. Vortex however says that their 1x prism isn't compatible with their magnifier. Being that I don't imagine the "tech" is any different between those 2 brands (as they're just OEMing china stuff anyways) I was curious why one brand would say it's a go and another wouldn't. The only real issue I could imagine would potentially be eye relief so I'd be curious to hear from anyone who's tried this kind of setup. Is this a viable setup or am I better to just get an Eotech? Is there a reason that the dots are crisper with a holo like the Eotech than with red dot like an Aimpoint?

An LPVO is what you seek

The one with button is 4.2oz vs the flip to side at 2.5oz.
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble from your busy CEO day for checking this. That's a significant weight difference. I'll order the no button one when it comes back in stock. Thanks again!

An LPVO is what you seek
I run LPVOs (and MPVOs) on my other carbines, this rifle isn't accurate enough to merit one, imo (it's basically an AK) as I'd have to also run an offset rds for night shooting. Hence wanting to stick to a 1x optic with a magnifier for occasional shots to 3-400 yds. I'll either grab the PA prism or an Eotech 3-2.