• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2.5-10 or 1-4 for an spr

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
Setting up an at for shooting out to 600 or so as well as some local carbine comps.

Just looking to see what most people are running.

Re: 2.5-10 or 1-4 for an spr

600yds is about max with a 1-4 and that is with a uspsa target for me anyway. I would go with the 2.5-10

I just ordered a Vortex PST 2.5 - 10 x 44 MIL/MIL from Scott at Liberty Optics. At 12" long and 18 oz I think it will serve the AR platform well.

I run a 4X Talon on a 16" AR and like it but wish I had more. I've ran a 2.5-10 NF on it in the past and I believe I'm going to go back to it.

I would say something closer to the 2.5-10 range for an SPR and 1-4 for a carbine. Depending on the distance and target size, you may do just fine with irons.

I have a 2.5-10x24 on an 18" Noveske SPR and really like the combo. I do have a 1-4 Vortex on order for a 3-gun build though.

I'd prefer 2.5-10x for out to 600 meters,
but you said you'd like to do local carbine comps,
so I'd go with 1-4x for shorter range carbine comps.
You can still shoot 600 meters with 4x.

That said, I'd prefer a 10x with a mini red dot in an offset mount for the close fast shots.

I am stuck with the same decision. I am going with 2.5 x 10 because it will be mostly used for hunting and paper. 2 x 12 would be nice but there are only a few and expensive options right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.5-10 for sure. 1-4 is way too weak for serious long range work. </div></div>

True, but 600 meters is not serious long range work.
I have no problem shooting E-type silhouettes at 600 meters with 3.5x and 6x ACOGs.

It's all a compromise and we have to decide what ranges we will prioritize and what ranges our optic will be just good enough. The local carbine comps that I have been in were primarily short range with a little midrange.

Id go with the 2.5-10 for that.

I have a USO 1.8-10 on my mk12 and it works great for sub 100yd shots and out past 600yds. IMHO its one of the best all around scopes for that type of platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a vortex pst 2.5-10 on my 18" ar with an offset mrd. I am happy with the set up. </div></div>

Any pictures??? That's prett much what I'm thinking I will have setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a vortex pst 2.5-10 on my 18" ar with an offset mrd. I am happy with the set up. </div></div>

THIS! That's what I'd go with.

Don't have any pictures since I changed to this optics set up. I use a Warne ramp mount which has the off set mount for the mrd built into the base. A real nice set up as long as you don't want QD.

I have a PST 1-4 which excels at CQB and a NF 2.5-10 which beats by a large margin past 400 for our 3-G matches and especially and out to 700 Meters. There is no free lunch.

I have a USO 1.5-6 DFP coming which should work for both short and longer ranges, but it has run my lunch fees up considerably.