• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2.5-10 Scope Search, NF?

Joemannnnn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys, I'm looking for some optic input. I have an 18" grendel AR that I'm wanting to get some glass for. I'm thinking this rifle will be doing a little bit of everything, target shooting within 4-500 yards, hunting, etc. I've been leaning towards something in that 2.5-10 range. I'd like to keep weight down and not get too carried away with mag. Something around the 20oz mark would be nice.

I've been leaning towards the 2.5-10x42 NF NXS. These are sfp, which may not be ideal. Although from some reading, may be ok on this power scope. Would appreciate any input on that.

I'd prefer a mil setup. I was surprised to find that all the mildot NXS scopes are on closeout at Europtic. Seems a change may be coming for that reticle. Nonetheless, it saves a few hundos and has me considering the mildot. I'd also be curious as to thoughts on the Mil-R vs Mildot.

Finally, I'm open to other options and suggestions. Always helpful input here. Thanks.

Vortex makes a 2.5-10x32 that is FFP that looks to fit your bill also.

Would not be my first choice. I like the PST Gen2. @Joemannnnn , what about the NF 2.5-10x24 ? Nice compact scope. I might also point you to the NX8 1-8x for that range. Also, worth considering, depending upon budget is the Schmidt & Bender 3-12x On the lesser end of the spectrum is the Steiner P4Xi 4-16x and Nightforce SHV 3-14x.

Vortex makes a 2.5-10x32 that is FFP that looks to fit your bill also.

So I am familiar with the vortex lineup and probably should have touched on that. They have a 2.5-10x42 sfp pst that came out first. Those can be had pretty cheap, not a terrible option, decent reviews. Again, it's second focal plane.

Then they had the gen 1 2.5-10x32 in ffp. By all accounts much nicer, everyone seems to have liked this. But it's first focal plane. I'll never find one locally to look through. Nervous about the reticle size at low mag. Interested in thoughts on that.

Then they have the gen 2 2-10x32 ffp that came out not too long ago. Problem with that is it's much heavier than the gen 1. I want to say they went from under 20 to 27oz or so. At that point, might as well get into any 3-15 model.

That's my dilemma there. Interested in thoughts, I'm not totally against them

I have a Gen 1 2.5-10x32. It's a phenomenal scope for a DMR/SPR role. I don't find the reticle too small on the low end. The illumination is pretty bright. Daylight bright? Not quite. But I find it more than adequate. I'm no scope guru though. Mine sits atop a 20" 223 AR.

Reactions: smarcus
Could also consider the SWFA 3-9x42. Good little 19oz optic, good history of repeatability, good reticle (to me), and you can get a zero stop kit from Timk for about $22-$25.

Under 1k, I think it may be your best FFP option.

First let me start by saying I own Vortex, NF, S&B, Steiner, Leupold scopes... comparing a NXS to any gen 1 PST is comparing apple to oranges. A NXS is hands down better quality. The gen 2’s are better than the gen 1, I would say more comparable to a NXS, but they are heavier than the NXS.

IMHO any scope under 10x should be spf. If you actually use the scope for ranging you will want to be on max mag anyways. The reticle is the pst ffp is pretty thin at 2x. Plus at those lower magnifications you aren’t, in a real world situation, going to be using the actual hash marks for wind holds.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this scope or that scope, get what YOU want and what will work best for you. You know best how you will use the rifle and you know best what you will be happy with.

First let me start by saying I own Vortex, NF, S&B, Steiner, Leupold scopes... comparing a NXS to any gen 1 PST is comparing apple to oranges. A NXS is hands down better quality. The gen 2’s are better than the gen 1, I would say more comparable to a NXS, but they are heavier than the NXS.

IMHO any scope under 10x should be spf. If you actually use the scope for ranging you will want to be on max mag anyways. The reticle is the pst ffp is pretty thin at 2x. Plus at those lower magnifications you aren’t, in a real world situation, going to be using the actual hash marks for wind holds.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this scope or that scope, get what YOU want and what will work best for you. You know best how you will use the rifle and you know best what you will be happy with.

I'm with you on all of this. I know the Vortex won't compare with NF, but there's also significant price savings. So I'm trying to weight that.

Overall, I'm leaning towards NF. I know it will outlast me. I'm to a degree looking for some confirmation that it will suit my purposes. As well confirm sfp will suffice and nail down mildot vs milr

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of the mil-r over mildot. I like the finer hash marks, it more on par with the SCR and MSR type reticle I have in my other scopes, it that is really personal preference though. The NF mildots having open dots is a nice feature over others if you choose that. Yes the NXS Will work for what you have describe and I wouldn’t hesitate or worry about getting SFP in that magnification range.

When it comes to price, remember you get what you pay for.

I have the 2.5-10x32 nxs and one thing to think about is that the reticle is floating. It can be hard to pick up quickly depending on the background. I wish it had the mil-r or something else but that's all that was available at the time.

I actually wish it was ffp. It would need a different reticle obviously. The scope itself works great with a clip on but usually 10x is too much and 2.5 isn't enough, trying to find 5x isn't ideal. Nothing is perfect I guess.

Man.....easy choice: for $1000 street price, get the NF SHV 4-14 F1 in Mil R. I had one, and they are fantastic. I’ve had the NXS 2.5-10X24, and unless you’re doing a clone build, and NEED that scope, the SHV 4-14 is better. I loved mine, and ONLY replaced it for another NF. No Vortex or NXS will make you regret the SHV.

So I am familiar with the vortex lineup and probably should have touched on that. They have a 2.5-10x42 sfp pst that came out first. Those can be had pretty cheap, not a terrible option, decent reviews. Again, it's second focal plane.

Then they had the gen 1 2.5-10x32 in ffp. By all accounts much nicer, everyone seems to have liked this. But it's first focal plane. I'll never find one locally to look through. Nervous about the reticle size at low mag. Interested in thoughts on that.

Then they have the gen 2 2-10x32 ffp that came out not too long ago. Problem with that is it's much heavier than the gen 1. I want to say they went from under 20 to 27oz or so. At that point, might as well get into any 3-15 model.

That's my dilemma there. Interested in thoughts, I'm not totally against them

I have a Viper PST Gen 1 2.5-10x32. It's been mounted on my CZ455 Varmint, of all things, for a few years now. Before that it lived on my friend's 18" AR15. For the ~$500 price they sell for now, it's a very nice scope. It's not a Nightforce, but it isn't bad optically, parallax goes down to 35 yards, mine dials accurately, and it's very light and compact. I think the reticle is too small for hunting use at 2.5x, but it isn't bad in the 3.5-4x range. I think it's still a great option if you're short on cash and are concerned about weight.

I think Vortex making the Gen 2 8 ounces heavier was a mistake. It's shorter, but with that weight I agree that you might as well go for the 3-15x 44 Viper Gen 2.

Reactions: Joemannnnn
I only use NF and S&B scopes on my high use rifles. For AR's I much prefer the NF 2.5-10X24. MIL MIL Mil-R .
I shoot to 800 M with them no issues. Really like the compact size and light weight. Unless shooting crows beyond 300M or other small targets they are all in need.

I love my 2-10-32 NF on my 16" AR. Primary use is prairie dogs out to 400 and deer/coyotes in Wi. Perfect optic and for those ranges no need for ffp. My long range stuff is ffp but this one that gets used to 400yd or so there isn't much need. The scope itself is built like a tank, great knobs and zero stop. Mine isn't going anywhere.

Have you looked at the USO B10? It's a 1.8-10x, which sounds about perfect to me. I'm seriously considering one on my 20 Grendel. I put a USO 1-8x on the 11.5" 6.5G. But I may go with a 3-12x or some such if there's one that's more suitable.

Also considering the same scope you are. If I can get it for the right price. I'm pretty much open on it and if another quality maker comes along with one just as good for less, I'll go that route.

I only use NF and S&B scopes on my high use rifles. For AR's I much prefer the NF 2.5-10X24. MIL MIL Mil-R .
I shoot to 800 M with them no issues. Really like the compact size and light weight. Unless shooting crows beyond 300M or other small targets they are all in need.

I have looked at the 24's they re-released, they are out there. I certainly would prefer the profile. However the 42 is only a few more ounces and I'm assuming will help in lower light. Any they seem to be had a little cheaper. So for that reason I was thinking 42. But not against the 24 necessarily.

An X24 just sold a few minutes ago in the optics FS area. I missed it by 8 min. 1500 with mount and like new with box. That was a deal. If you like the x42 it will be easier to find. Possibly better in low light. I have not used one.

I’m looking at the Trijicon Accupower 3 to 9 x 40 mm in the Mil Square reticle configuration. I like covered turrets. it’s lightweight, good glass, and solid as shit.

Reactions: lou400a
I’m looking at the Trijicon Accupower 3 to 9 x 40 mm in the Mil Square reticle configuration. I like covered turrets. it’s lightweight, good glass, and solid as shit.

I have one, just got it for a 10.5 inch 556, don’t expect great turrets. It is light at 17 oz, glass is good but for me when I had it beside my Leupold Mark ar mod1 4-12 the loopy won hands down in terms of glass. Only other scope I have to compare it to is a 5-25 atacr which isn’t a comparison.

I like it, it gets the job done, good low light, nice fox tail on the mag ring and feels durable but I’m saving for the nf 2.5-10x42 now.

NXS 2.5-10x42 is a fantastic little scope. SFP isn't a big deal in this power range. The x24 is nice too, but the eyebox is noticeably tighter than the x42. SHV 4-14 is probably a nice scope, but if i remember correctly is a half pound or more heavier, same with some of the options from other brands.

Going a different direction take a look at the Swarovski Z3 3-10 BRH. It’s covered turrets but a mil based tree reticle. It does have a somewhat limited hold over marks but if you’re only shooting out to 500 it will be plenty. Superb glass and very light weight.

Reactions: Tac Beard
IMO - either the Burris XTR2 2-10 or go the next tier up in build quality and get a USO B10. I don't think NF is where it should be. Lots of fish eye and the eye box is finiky.

Reactions: J.Boney
Waiting for someone to step it up and build a 2-12 FFP optimized for a semiauto and under 28oz..
For what it is worth, I have run a USO 1.8x10 for several years, on a Mark 12 type rifle , and a Grendel. One of my favorite scopes. Seems to fit this niche very well. Not the lightest scope, but everything else seems optimal.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
For what it is worth, I have run a USO 1.8x10 for several years, on a Mark 12 type rifle , and a Grendel. One of my favorite scopes. Seems to fit this niche very well. Not the lightest scope, but everything else seems optimal.
Have you had any issues with the zero stops on that particular scope? Is it the B10 ?

XTR II 2-10, run one on my 300 whisper. My 12" Grendel wears 1-6 Leupold and 18" LRHS 3-12 and now 4.5-18
How do you like the Burris Xtr 2-10 I am looking at the same scope for my SPR type rifle. I looked through a couple XTR's today the glass looks decent for the price point. Currently the rifle has a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 which has been a good optic but looking for a touch more magnification and a thinner reticle. Are the 2-10s illuminated?

One thing to keep in mind on a FFP scope used for hunting, you are going to need illumination. Without it you'll have great difficulty seeing the reticle in dim light at mid to low magnification.

Reactions: DrainTheSwamp2017
What about the Leupy Mark 6? At 23oz and 3-18x in rfp, it seems to fit the bill quite well. I have 3 of them on various bolt and gassers, and love them. I think they are an excellent value for the money.

I'm open to a Leupy, but I've never loved their reticles and they lean MOA for the most part. I like NF mil r reticle and variants like that with mil adjustment obviously. I think the mark 6 is one of their models that has mil options. Will have to check them out again

IMO - either the Burris XTR2 2-10 or go the next tier up in build quality and get a USO B10. I don't think NF is where it should be. Lots of fish eye and the eye box is finiky.
^^^ This
The Burris XTR II 2-10 is an awesome scope.. best in its class according to ILya. That is, best of the XTRs.

^^^ This
The Burris XTR II 2-10 is an awesome scope.. best in its class according to ILya. That is, best of the XTRs.

Agree. At its value it has no equal. I watched deer last night with it until it was nearly black outside, WELL past shooting hours. Having owned S&B, Kahles, Minox etc... of course the XTR II is not their equal but if I'm honest with myself everything above XTR II glass is a luxury but not needed for functionality... especially if you keep the magnification under 20x , which the 2-10 XTR II shines at.

When I think of a 10x scope I want something light and compact. The XTR2 is neither of those no matter how good it is.

For that matter you might as well jump up to a 3-15 which there are plenty to choose from and still less weight than the XTR2.

Reactions: Stickshift
Most all of my hunting scopes are now S&B with the P3 reticle. That reticle works great even 1/2 hour past sundown which is end of legal shooting most all places I hunt.
I picked up a NF NXS 2.5-10x42 with the velocity 600 reticle, it’s still sitting in the box because I’m just not sold on it. I was going to put it on my 7mm08 but I can’t take the Klassik 3-12x42 off it. I like the Precision Hunter scope because it has an elevation dial with 3.2 mils on it, which gets me to 600 yards and that’s all I need with a 7mm08. Need to get some time behind the NF, I guess.

I just picked up a NF 2.5-10 for my Sako hunting rifle. Tough little scopes that come in at the right weight and size.

I ended up with the Mildot version since the Mil-R isn't my favorite.

I just picked up a NF 2.5-10 for my Sako hunting rifle. Tough little scopes that come in at the right weight and size.

I ended up with the Mildot version since the Mil-R isn't my favorite.

Looking for a mildot or MOA reticle with MOA turrets in 24, 32 or 42mm now. Have a 32mm with NPR2 on a mk12 and its great.

When I think of a 10x scope I want something light and compact. The XTR2 is neither of those no matter how good it is.

For that matter you might as well jump up to a 3-15 which there are plenty to choose from and still less weight than the XTR2.

I guess we have different definitions of heavy. The NF 2.5-10x42 I sold was only 2 oz lighter so it was irrelevant to me.

I don't see many 2-10 Mil reticle optics lighter than that.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Check out Interststeguns. They have the Mildot for $1599

All the new 42mm mildot units have mil turrets. After 20 years with MOA turrets, I'm not changing. I'd have to find an older 24 or 32mm unit to get a mismatched reticle. I know it's counter intuitive in today's climate, but it works for me..

What about a Leupold MK 4 either 3.5-10x40 or 2.5-8x36? I've got a 3.5-10 on an M1A and I love it.