• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 barrel 2 poi question

paigecm

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
Ok. Not sure why I can’t wrap my head around this. On my AXSA I’m using a 308 and 6.5 barrel. At 100 yds my 6.5 is 1.5”high and my .308 is 1.5” low. So for zeroing purposes should I just leave it knowing this and add .4 mil elev on my .308 on all adjustments past 100 and opposite for 6.5? Is this the best way to do it?

Set your zero for one . When you change barrels rezero- write down the difference. Once you've done it once, easy to switch back and forth.

Reactions: ThicketCricket
Zero for the high caliber. For the low caliber, after zeroing the high caliber, shoot a group using the same point of aim and measure the EXACT distance it is low and use that number, as a negative, as your “zero height” in your ballistic program for the ammunition. Your ballistic program will use this information and apply it to your shooting solution; you will not have to do any math.

The reason you do the high caliber is so you can always dial up and not worry about down elevation when having a zero-stop.

Reactions: ThicketCricket
Zero for the high caliber. For the low caliber, after zeroing the high caliber, shoot a group using the same point of aim and measure the EXACT distance it is low and use that number, as a negative, as your “zero height” in your ballistic program for the ammunition. Your ballistic program will use this information and apply it to your shooting solution; you will not have to do any math.

The reason you do the high caliber is so you can always dial up and not worry about down elevation when having a zero-stop.
Thank you. I don’t have my kestrel in front of me. So if I am 3” low with the .308 from my poi and “zero” with my 6.5 I enter a negative 3?

Basically yes. In your gun profile for the 6.5, you would put 0.000 for your ZH (Zero Height). Make another gun profile for your .308 and enter the actual measured distance it is low in the negative form. POI below your POA are negative, impacts above your POA are positive

If you have a windage shift, that can be entered in ZO (Zero Offset) in the same manner; POI to the left is negative, POI right are positive

Thanks. I will mess with it this weekend. I’ll create a new profile for the 308 so I don’t jack anything up!

Set your zero for one . When you change barrels rezero- write down the difference. Once you've done it once, easy to switch back and forth.

This. Just have a system when you’re doing it so you actually rezero the turrets and not mind fuck yourself wandering if you did or not.

This is also a huge benefit to using a good tree reticle and holding instead of dialing. In this case just zero the turrets out for your primary barrel and then adjust them for POI of any additional barrels from a log book or just sharpie it right on the barrels. Then you don’t even have to worry about rezeroing the turrets each time. That’s what I did with my AI’s running T3 reticle.

Thanks. I will mess with it this weekend. I’ll create a new profile for the 308 so I don’t jack anything up!
You can easily see if your offset is correct by setting target distance to 100yards, if it's not + .8mil/3" then the offset is wrong.

If be inclined to use the offset method in your ballistics app rather than re-zeroing the scope, unless you are very careful about re-zeroing it each time you change your barrel or you are able to re-check your zero easily if you get lost.