• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 mile shooting -3500 yards

Re: 2 mile shooting -3500 yards

hey bro left u a message

I love it, the rifle I have always wanted. I think I messed in my pants!! Oh by the way great shooting.

Impressive shooting. Any updates on this new bullets, different loads?

I got a 375 cheytac semi auto that Im just starting my first loads on. Hopefully next week I can unleash it.

I am also very surprised at how good you can see at 2 miles... here in Cali where our long distance shooting occurs from Oct to May (due to fire risk closure) and thus cooler, we still have heat wave mirage at one mile and the target is fuzzy at the edges even with my PMII S&B at 25X. To double the distance seems like a futile effort and then my S&B elevation turret would be way past maxed out I believe. Also my Terrapin PRLF won't range out much past 2000 yards if it's a sunny day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Line-of-Departure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they make a 375 cheytac semi auto? wtf? thats just awesome...</div></div>

2600_thu.jpg

http://www.rndrifles.com/firearms/rnd-2600/

Cal...he's in CO where they have wide open spaces and altitude.

altitude sure helps. I think we are shooting at a DA of about 3k-4k feet at our shooting location. This will be year 3 of working on mile shooting... be interesting to see if more practice will have improved us or have we hit the wall of our loads/eqpt.

My goal is to hit anywhere on that 24x24 cold bore first time I get to the location. If I can't hit it in 3 shots, then what's the point. I think this year I am going to re-chron my loads and compare several kestrels data and re-examine my SHooter BC inputs.

That's a good goal. Altitude helps, but so does dry air. The BLM areas I often shot in SoCal were very clear beyond a mile and mirage only became an issue in the hot summer sun. NorCal tends to have a bit more humidity, so I'm not surprised you have mirage issues.

For 2 miles shooting, seeing the target is obviously a challenge, but spotting splash is by far the most difficult aspect.

The molecular weight of water in a gas form is 18 atomic mass units (amu), as opposed to 32 amu for oxygen, and 28 amu for nitrogen.

Due to it's lower density, humid air enhances ballistic performance for a given temperature, and pressure.

I mentioned humidity as it amplifies mirage, not ballistic performance.

I should have read your post more closely Dogtown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noel Carlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The molecular weight of water in a gas form is 18 atomic mass units (amu), as opposed to 32 amu for oxygen, and 28 amu for nitrogen.

Due to it's lower density, humid air enhances ballistic performance for a given temperature, and pressure. </div></div>

That's counter-intuitive, but I'll take your word for it.

Re humidity vs mirage, I've found mirage more a function of temp than humidity. The BLM and ranges I am using are in arid and super hot areas off the I5, and rarely is humidity experienced there. It's even closed during the summer due to fire danger. And when it's super dry and above 75-80F, I start getting difficult mirage at 1600 yards plus.

I think Dogtown included temperature as a factor that is compounded by high humidity.

Not only are you combating a greater range of intermingling air densities, and therefore mirage, but with a temperature drop condensation can become an issue, and this will also compromise light transmission.

Jimmy Special .408 Suppressor
smile.gif

Yeah its a form one can.(Home made) I tested it with mill spec testing (B&K sound meter) and it tested a 129.5 dbl. A real pleasure to shoot. There are two cans I made in those pictures one 408 and one 50bmg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fernandez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what ballistics calculator are you using to get data beyond 3000 yards?</div></div>

Just wanted to add that Shooter for Android will go up to 5,000 yards but I have no idea if its accurate that far out. It has some Litz BC's for bullets and I believe uses JBM-based calculations.

Very cool. One day, one day, I will hopefully be to that level.

Had no idea you could reach out that far. Amazing. I think I need to get out of the UK and come shoot some real rifles over here!

Lol- you are right. I laid on some cactus and had to pull a few barbs on my leg. Thanks for the painful reminder. Lol

Impressive to say the least. It wasn't too many years ago that 1000y was quite the feat, 3500---wow, how far we've come.