• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2 Part Question

Scott14

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2020
1. MOA or Mils? I know, it's mostly if not all personal preference. Any significant pros or cons to either for 1,000 yard shooting?

2. First focal plain reticle....say you have a scope with a bdc reticle. Does the yardage/range change for each "dot" depending on the zoom power your on? Appears to be the case with Nikon P223.

There is a lot to read on here about the first part so just do a search. I think even the homepage has the mil vs moa article still up. This has been gone over countless times even in the short time I’ve been here.

There is a lot to read on here about the first part so just do a search. I think even the homepage has the mil vs moa article still up. This has been gone over countless times even in the short time I’ve been here.
Sorry. New here

And for the second question, no the measurements of a FFP reticle are the same no matter the power the optic is on. This is why most prefer it on a long range platform used for tactical applications where you may need to zoom in or out to engage multiple targets at different distances.

And for the second question, no the measurements of a FFP reticle are the same no matter the power the optic is on. This is why most prefer it on a long range platform used for tactical applications where you may need to zoom in or out to engage multiple targets at different distances.
Then maybe I meant SFP? The reticle itself changes in size so to speak with a FFP right? I get em backwards sometimes.

Correct a FFP the reticle grows when you zoom so to speck and a SFP the reticle is the same size through the whole zoom range. The SFP scopes if they have a milling type reticle the measurements represented by the reticle are only accurate at a specific power usually max power.