• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2 Trophy Hunts - 19 Years of Waiting :)

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2010
    North Denver, CO
    First my hunt ha

Animal: Pronghorn
    Rough Score: 77 (14in tall, 13in between points, 6.5 base) w/o any deductions for the missing point on the left prong. Got knocked off fighting. Not sure if I should have the taxid. make a fake point to match other side. I kind of like the character it adds.
    Draw time: 9 years
    Weapon:
    .308 Win
    Gap Barreled action in AICS
    175 SMK at 2700 fps
    USO 5-25
    Shot Distance: 150 yards
    Result of shot: Dialed up .5 MOA, squeezed off shot. Heard the smack of bullet right behind front shoulder. he took off like a rabbit for 40 yds, then bottom up. Very impressed with the 175 SMK terminal ballistics. Exit wound was a 5" hole. Amazing. Lungs mush. Bled out nicely.

I bought some 168 Barnes Triple Shock bullets, but after doing research, I went with my match loads. Very glad I did. Expansion was impresive.

nwirdv.jpg

1i1o60.jpg

Wife's hunt:

Animal: Elk
    Rough Score: 310 ish (not that heavy)
    Draw time: 10 years
    Weapon:
    .50 cal Black powder shooting 350 gr sabot
    Shot Distance: 10 yards
    Result of shot: 6x6 Elk coming in strong to cow call. Shot right through center high chest and dropped like a rock. Packing it out on other hand was hell. Straight up hill both ways
    smile.gif
    Wife got off lucky due to being 3 months pregnant so she didnt have to pack anything. I gave her a pass
    smile.gif

2vwtn4w.jpg

Our taxidermy bill this month is going to suck.

The boss was very happy with her bull so I have no regrets about not waiting on a super big bull. It was dusk when this one came in and the white tips were all you seen. I prob would have shot it as well, the way it came in super aggressive, litterally screaming (bugeling) in our faces. After the smoke cleared tho, it was not as big as was expected. My father in law got one the following night that was an easy 350. It made this one look small. Crazy stuff. Here a pic of them together.

2uorome.jpg

Have a good one, as this weekend was amazing for us,
    DT

Re: 2 Trophy Hunts - 19 Years of Waiting :)

I vote leave it as is, know if it had broke on the fall after the shot that an acceptable fix.

BTW wonderfull trophys.

Congratulations on a terrific hunt. Your camp did well, really well.

Guy

Congrats Sir, great pics and hunt. Persistence pays!!

Congrats on a very successful hunt. A trophy does not not have to be huge in my books. It just has to mean something to the hunter. I went to Utah elk hunting last year and came home with my tag, but still really enjoyed the hunt. You and those you were with did great on your hunt and came home with much more. 19 years is a long time to wait. Congrats again I would have taken either of those Bulls in a second if given the chance.

Man that is just Awesome!!! My biggest congratulations to you all!!!

My prong was broken also and I had it fixed. Stop by and check it out after the match Saturday!

Congrats on the Trophies....and the hike out.

Gotta love them elk, until they are down.

I would say leave it as it is. One of my favorite moose racks I have is a 60+" bull that has one paddle completely broken off and the other is riddled with holes from another bulls tines. It's not really a wall hanger, but it certainly gets peoples attention when they see it. Don't try and make him what he isn't. Congratulations to you both. That's a long wait.

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

Also going to be nice to have a freeze full of meat this winter.

My wife bulled scored 305, and my father inlaws scored 360.

I will prob leave the speed goat alone, mostly because I am afraid the fixed prong would look like crap after several years.

Have a good one,
    _DT

Well congrats on both the kills, and the expected one who I'm sure will be hunting here pretty soon...
    smile.gif

Great trophies you got there...I would say it was worth the wait.