• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20” Barrel 6.5 CM OK?

Cfshooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
FL
I have been wanting to pick up a 6.5CM to mess around with. I have always been the type to try to find the best bang for the buck. I have had good luck with cheap rifles turning out to be good shooters. I just shoot for fun and do not plan on any type of competitive shooting in the near future. I have access to 500 yards now and should have access to 1000 yards soon. With that being said, I found a savage model 10 in 6.5 CM with a 20 inch threaded barrel, accutrigger, no DBM. I do not mind no DBM as I usually load one round at a time. Is the 20” barrel adequate for up to 1000 yards, or do I spend $250 more and get the 24” barreled 110 tactical with DBM? Only difference to my benefit would be the extra barrel length.

If it were me, I’d prolly throw down the extra $250 for the extra barrel length and DBM. I know you said that you typically single load, but it makes the rifle a little more versatile. Who knows.... maybe one day you’ll wanna check out a practical match.... or red dawn becomes a reality.... or...... ?‍♂️

Zip is right though, you can easily make up the barrel diff by handloading.

Reactions: Cfshooter
If it were me, I’d prolly throw down the extra $250 for the extra barrel length and DBM. I know you said that you typically single load, but it makes the rifle a little more versatile. Who knows.... maybe one day you’ll wanna check out a practical match.... or red dawn becomes a reality.... or...... ?‍♂️

Zip is right though, you can easily make up the barrel diff by handloading.

This probably will not be my battle rifle if red Dawn does happen.

Ordered the 20” version. If I decide that I may take up any competitive shooting, I can upgrade at that time. This rifle is more to just have a 6.5 for longer range and save my 30-06 just for hunting.

I had a 20” Tikka 6.5cm for a while and had no issues hitting plates at 600-1000 yards. If i missed, it was me.

2765fps with 147's in my 20" barrel with 47gr of RL26. Could push over 2800 but it runs hot to get to the accuracy node. Run the numbers on JBM.

I’ll be the contrarian here.

Spend the extra to get the DBM.

Then chop to 18”

2765fps with 147's in my 20" barrel with 47gr of RL26. Could push over 2800 but it runs hot to get to the accuracy node. Run the numbers on JBM.
Thats speedy. My buddy loads with RL16 and has tonkeep his muzzle velocity at 2750 ish or he will blow primers. Thats with a 26” barrel. Maybe he needs to switch powder.

If he buys the 24”.
Expect 2550-75 with the 20”

I had an 18” Criterion Rem-Age 6.5 Creedmoor and got 2664fps with 140gr Amax Match ammunition; same barrel got 2854fps with same lot ammo before I had it cut down from 26”.

For comparison, that barrel ran 42.5gr H4350 under a 140gr HPBT at 2640/2820fps, respectively.

Velocities per Magnetospeed V2 and verified on steel at distance.

YMMV...

I had an 18” Criterion Rem-Age 6.5 Creedmoor and got 2664fps with 140gr Amax Match ammunition; same barrel got 2854fps with same lot ammo before I had it cut down from 26”.

For comparison, that barrel ran 42.5gr H4350 under a 140gr HPBT at 2640/2820fps, respectively.

Velocities per Magnetospeed V2 and verified on steel at distance.

YMMV...
Maybe Amax is speedier. The eldM stuff is not.

This place is wealthybwith knowledge and experience, thank you all.

Thats speedy. My buddy loads with RL16 and has tonkeep his muzzle velocity at 2750 ish or he will blow primers. Thats with a 26” barrel. Maybe he needs to switch powder.

48 gr. RL26 with 147's @ 2.860" in a SAAMI chamber gives ~61,000psi in the pressure test barrel I had access to last year. Wanna say 47gr gave ~2830fps in the 24" test barrel. Obviously lot-to-lot changes can change that considerably so work up.

Take that with a grain of salt as the Creedmoor does not lose velocity after 24" as stated. Even author doesn't know why that happened. Best guess from many posts on it is that it was a new barrel and still speeding up.

OP the 20" will do ok for your use but you will get more velocity with a longer barrel if you ever wanted more then you could rebarrel easy enough down the road.

I think the 20” is fine an may be a better length if you’d want to thread it and suppress it. 6.5 should benefit from better BC than say a 20” 308. The 24” may have higher speed but it should just be a difference of dialing a different amount of dope. It’s up to you, if you’re not shooting competition or for time maybe DBM doesn’t matter as much. 250$ could go to range/ammo. But neither is a wrong answer.

I think the 20” is fine an may be a better length if you’d want to thread it and suppress it. 6.5 should benefit from better BC than say a 20” 308. The 24” may have higher speed but it should just be a difference of dialing a different amount of dope. It’s up to you, if you’re not shooting competition or for time maybe DBM doesn’t matter as much. 250$ could go to range/ammo. But neither is a wrong answer.
I lucked out and it came with a 22” barrel. No competition with this rifle, just to have some fun with 6.5 CM to see how I like it.

Reactions: Shankin McStaby
I have a 18” creed and I get 2675 FPS with the 130 hybrids. Ballistic app says it stays super sonic to 1200ish

I've got a 20" stainless proof 6.5creed barrel on my at, along with 24" bartlien 243win. I can get 147eldm to 2725fps with 43.3gr h4350, br4, and lapua brass. 8rds on cardboard target, 3 rds on steel at 800yds. It hit higher than expected, after reconfirming 100yd zero, barrel had sped up to 2725( only 120rds on it)

Last edited: