• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" 300 win mag totally stupid?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
What's you guys opinion? Does it make it pointless to even have a Magnum??

Re: 20" 300 win mag totally stupid?

It really just depends on what you want to do with it, what ranges you want to shoot, what bullets you want to push, etc.

Try running a search an see what comes up on this issue. I remember reading a while back (I think it was here) where Tac Ops did a 300WM barrel analysis where they took a 26" barrel and hacked off an inch at a time until they got down to 20", running accuracy tests at each increment. Accuracy was what you'd expect from a custom rifle throughout the range of barrel lengths, but they argued that 22" was as short as you'd practically want to go because after that you started to lose MV, etc. For heavier bullets like many of us want to push (I like the 210-220gr loads personally), I think they suggested a min. of a 24" tube to get the most out of it.

I think you need 22" to maximize a 300WM but that certainly doesn't render the cartridge useless in a 20" bbl. Its gonna hurt your shoulder if it's not a heavy barrel though
wink.gif

I would never build a 300Wm at 20" but thats just me. i see it being a magnum for a reason... Higher velocities

I sort of ask the same question.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...272#Post2255272

Looking to suppress mine and I really don't want a mile long stick to hunt with. I finished one at 22" for a customer and he loves it. I don't know if I would go any shorter though, I would really like to here from some guys who have.

I am wondering what the military is going to go with as far as length goes on theirs.

JameiD

AI Stocks and Accessories

20" is not much time to burn all that powder..... should make a nice flamethrower.

There was an article a while back where they took a 26" barrel and chopped it down an inch at a time back to 16". End result, 30-06 with heavier bullets. I wouldnt bother with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am wondering what the military is going to go with as far as length goes on thiers.

JameiD</div></div>
For now i'd bet they keep it at 24"or upgrade to 26" for those long range shots made in the mountains on the other side of the big puddle. And maybe shortened when/if we go into more urban areas. It all depends on the needs of the marksman and what their surroundings require

The reason I ask is because I have a 22" Rock 5r MTU barrel and a Surgeon 1086. Was planning a .308 with the barrel, but thought since I had the 1086 I may just do a .300...Sounds like it wouldn't really work that well...

A 22" blank will finish at 20" right?

It's like test driving a Ferrari in a 25 MPH speed limit zone. Mine is at 26", but that's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason I ask is because I have a 22" Rock 5r MTU barrel and a Surgeon 1086. Was planning a .308 with the barrel, but thought since I had the 1086 I may just do a .300...Sounds like it wouldn't really work that well...

A 22" blank will finish at 20" right? </div></div>

Sell it.

I have a 22" 300WM and it's as short as I'd go. It's far from neutered (208's @ 2870) and has made very accurate hits at a mile. But for a dedicated long range rifle you want at least 24" and preferably 26" or 28" to really make that cartridge sing.

If you want a high powered brush cannon, stick to 22". Any shorter than that and you can hunt for the unburned powder and recycle it.

John

This is approximately what it looks like. This is an M44 Tula Carbine with 7.62x54R ammo in it, but you get the idea.

P2134906.JPG

If you wanted to go that short in a heavier hitter than the 308 I'd suggest something like the 300 Ruger Compact Mag instead.

I think the short magnums are designed to fit in a short action, not to better the performance in short barrels. I could be wrong though
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A 22" blank will finish at 20" right? </div></div>

Why not an 18"? Looks cool on a 308, should be tits with a 300win...