• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" 300WSM ????

FamilyMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
Utah
Functional? Practical? Or are you losing too much for what you gain in weight and maneuverability? It's use would be an light weight elk gun that I could drop em upto
500yds (not that i would want to take that shot but more the confidence that i could) and be able carry all day hiking but still be able to show up at the range and ring steel when I wanted to (600-1000yds at least that's what's available at the range I go to)

Re: 20" 300WSM ????

I had a LTR in 300 saum and reamed it to 300 wsm, It was a very versatile rig, however my MVs definitly suffered and were in the 2800 range if I remember correct.

There is a good link in,my thread optimal barrel length you should give it a read.

For your intended purposes I think you would be just fine with a 20" 300WSM, I've been meaning to get a short barrel and try it myself, but have been busy with other projects.

Just be ready to get your ear protection in before you touch one off. It's gonna be loud.
laugh.gif

Regards,
Paul

I am doing a 22" 300RUM right now. Barrel is still on order but I'm not in country so no hurry yet. Glad I got in my order right before Rock creek stopped taking orders. Literally 4 days before they stopped taking orders.

there have been a few threads in the last month about shorty 300 win. Tac Ops has experimented with it and now makes a 300 win with 20" or 22" barrel depending on what you prefer.

I had a 300wsm Frontier rifle with a 16.5 barrel. A lot of unburnt powder in that thing, but I got a good burn once I switched to H4831sc. Saw velocities like a 30-06 with a 24" barrel. Who knows with that extra 3.5 inches you might get a more complete burn. And yes it was very loud.

Always a tradeoff. If you cut it down it will definitely be easier to carry. How much does the outfitted rifle weigh now and how much would it weigh w/ less barrel? Is this weight reduction worth the cost considering the number of times you intend to use it for elk hunting?

Now, how often will you use this guy at the range, especially >800+ yds?

If the cost vs. benefit isn't obvious from these questions, estimate the speed reduction you'll suffer from reducing the barrel's length and see if that will give you acceptable ballistics for the range you would like to employ the rifle. Compare that to the weight savings and consider the cost of getting machining work done.

My guess is that it's probably better to leave it as is unless you have another rifle that can easily reach out and touch >800+ yds.

My 338 Norma has a 20" barrel. I know that "Hammer" is overused but it will make elk take a dirt nap with 300gr Bergers.

Tikka T3 light in .300 wsm. Super light, very accurate, not too much $$$. Great huniting rifle under 7lbs.