• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" 6.5 PRC Experience

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    I'm thinking about swapping out the 26" MTU on my 6.5 PRC for a 20" M24 contour. What are your thoughts? Any issues I should be aware of? I have a TBAC Ultra 7 that would have a permanent home on the rifle and I'd like to keep it a little more manageable than my current setup.

I'm already tooled up for the PRC and I'm thinking I can hit 2900+fps with 140gr projectiles easily enough. My local range goes out to a mile. I'm thinking with the ~123gr solids I should be able to get out there without too much grief.

Am I missing anything important?

I just put a 20” 6.5 PRC together recently for hunting. Laid down a whitetail at 871 yards with it…I’m a fan.

As for concerns (which may apply as you already have a 6.5 PRC set up). My short action would not eject loaded factory so had I shortened up my hand loads to be able to do so in this build. I’ll be putting this barrel on my long action to be able to load em longer.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
    I have a 20" proof CF on a tikka in 6.5 SAUM. I dont have the load data on hand but its 2950 fps with 140s.

Rifle is really nice handling. Felt recoil is about like .308. No problems using my TBAC ultra 7, still comfortable for a few rounds without ear pro.

I got a steel barrel MPR in that caliber chopped down to 21”. TBAC Ultra 5. Very nice field unit, easy to tote around and plenty of horsepower to kill a thin skinned game animal farther than most people ought to be shooting. I was getting 2780 with factory Hornady 140’s. No Ragerts.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
    I have a 20 inch proof CF prefit spun up by Straight Jacket Armory. I’m shooting 140g Elite Hunters at 2827 using 53.5g H4831sc and CCI 250s. No pressure signs and I’m sure 2900 wouldn’t be an issue but I don’t really chase speed. Running a SiCo omega and it’s a handy setup.

I have a 20 inch proof CF prefit spun up by Straight Jacket Armory. I’m shooting 140g Elite Hunters at 2827 using 53.5g H4831sc and CCI 250s. No pressure signs and I’m sure 2900 wouldn’t be an issue but I don’t really chase speed. Running a SiCo omega and it’s a handy setup.
    If you haven’t tried RL26, if you can find any, you may get 50-80 fps more velocity.

6.5PRC has been on my short list. Currently I am shooting 6.5-06AI and am looking to see if the 6.5PRC can achieve similar performance with easier brass work. Currently I got 2900-2950 out of 20" Barrel with the 6.5-06AI, 142ABLR bullets, 55.3Grns of RL22. Does anyone have any feedback about pushing to 2900 with a 142Grn bullet out of a 20" Barrel?

I just built one on an XM defiance for hunting.....20" proof 1:8 that weighs in Just under12# with the can, scope and double pull bipod. I previously had a 24" proof and was getting 3,100 fps with 143's. First outing with some of that previous ammo nets just under 2,900 fps in this new 20" and it's much more compact and easier to carry in my backpack.

I plan to do some more load work once the barrels sped up but so far I'm happy with the results.

Attachments

• 30BA52C0-2EE4-4885-A19A-9461ECF18EC5.jpeg
      30BA52C0-2EE4-4885-A19A-9461ECF18EC5.jpeg
      319.1 KB · Views: 396
    Reactions: MoBetta13
    Lets revive this one, I am in the process of a 20" 6.5 PRC and would enjoy hearing about what some folks have gotten out of them ove the past couple years. My last one was a 22", I was shooting 135 Atips at 3000 fps with RL 26.

Looking forward to a slightly more compact rifle.

Reactions: Nivium
    Lets revive this one, I am in the process of a 20" 6.5 PRC and would enjoy hearing about what some folks have gotten out of them ove the past couple years. My last one was a 22", I was shooting 135 Atips at 3000 fps with RL 26.

I run a 21” Bartlein.

I run 156 EOL at 2940 with H1000. ADG brass.

The handiness with a can is unbeatable… I’ll probably do an 18-19 next tube.

For what it's worth, I did it.

20" Osprey. I'm at about 2930fps with 147's. H1000 and ADG brass.

No regrets. With my first barrel (on this rifle) I was chasing speed with a 26" barrel. The relatively small loss in velocity didn't make as much difference downrange as I thought would.

These are some encouraging numbers with bullets on the heavier side. Ill have to try out some H1000 when my rifle is completed.

Im also doing a 7 twist barrel, same as my last rifle and it shot amazing!

I am currently pondering on this exact issue, I have been shooting 140 HYBDs/Norma brass/4350 at 2670 out of a 20" 6.5 C with great accuracy and consistency. I have a great time at the range with it but it's leaving me wanting more velocity so I have a Long action which I am currently deciding on a barrel for in 6.5 PRC, I would love to send the 153.5 and 156 Bergers as close to 3000 to 3100 sfp as possible so it will be a 7.5 twist in a PROOF competition contour or a Bartlein in similar contour.
    The last decision will be length, would a 26" min. provide the ability to use slower burning powders? and also get up the 3000 fps ?

I am currently pondering on this exact issue, I have been shooting 140 HYBDs/Norma brass/4350 at 2670 out of a 20" 6.5 C with great accuracy and consistency. I have a great time at the range with it but it's leaving me wanting more velocity so I have a Long action which I am currently deciding on a barrel for in 6.5 PRC, I would love to send the 153.5 and 156 Bergers as close to 3000 to 3100 sfp as possible so it will be a 7.5 twist in a PROOF competition contour or a Bartlein in similar contour.
    The last decision will be length, would a 26" min. provide the ability to use slower burning powders? and also get up the 3000 fps ?
    That’s asking for a whole lot from a 6.5 prc….

Reactions: Jkedsnake
    I would think with that long of a barrel, you should have no trouble hitting 3000 fps.

Reactions: Jkedsnake
    I would think with that long of a barrel, you should have no trouble hitting 3000 fps.
    With A-tips and 156s?

Best I could do is about 2925fps with a 26" and that was pushing it pretty hard. It also beat up brass.

I'd step up to a bigger case.

Then again, maybe there are folks on here that know something I don't?

Anyone try the 100 ELD VT’s yet? I’m very tempted to do a short PRC just for that

Anyone try the 100 ELD VT’s yet? I’m very tempted to do a short PRC just for that
    I just started load development on a 20" and am still getting over 3000 fps with 130's. I can only imagine how fast 100's would be. I have another 18" on the way for another build. I am pretty impressed be the shorter barrels so far and look forward to seeing what an 18" will do.

I just started load development on a 20" and am still getting over 3000 fps with 130's. I can only imagine how fast 100's would be. I have another 18" on the way for another build. I am pretty impressed be the shorter barrels so far and look forward to seeing what an 18" will do.
    Seems like the 6.6 PRC is pretty good in ~20 in barrels for whatever reason. Maybe the bore is big enough it can efficiently use the pressure?

FWIW, my 22” 6 Creed is shooting factory 80’s at 3150

What powder?

I realize all barrels vary and 3000+ with a 130 at 20” sounds darn good!!!

What powder?

I realize all barrels vary and 3000+ with a 130 at 20” sounds darn good!!!
    RL-26 powder and a Carbon Six 1:7 twist barrel. 130 Sierra Game Changers.

and yes, barrels and bullets can all create different results. I wasn't really chasing speed and am just getting to work on load development, so we'll see where the best groups land. Its shooting .5-.6" so far.

Reactions: powdahound76
    Also, I just picked up some Staball HD to test in 6.5 and 7 PRC's. I am hoping to get a nice temp stable powder and RL26 seems to show some variation.

18.5 inch here. Can't imagine going any longer