• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" AR Barrel

nofear67

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Utah, USA
I am looking into building a precision .223 upper and there are so many options so I would like some input and feedback about what people are running and what are good things to look for before buying a barrel.

Re: 20" AR Barrel

I have the Yankee Hill 20" on one of mine, and with 69g reloads I can get sub MOA all day. (Or atleast until I start sucking.:p)

If you're going precision and don't plan on shooting anything heavy grained, a 1-9 or 1-8 twist will be fine.

Yankees are chrome lined, and have a 1-7 so I can shoot the heavier grain loads.

Im in the process of building another upper. Im looking into the WOA spr contour in 1-7 twist and VTAC Modular Hand Guard.

+1 on White Oak. I'm having an SPR barrel put on an upper right now. I'm also looking at thier 20" varmit upper.

Are you looking for a complete upper or just a barrel? Because you have a lot of options in building an upper beyond barrel choice .... forerails, DI or piston, FH or comp, M4 ramps, etc.

Think Noveske Rifleworks and LaRue Tactical. I have a 16" and an 18" and they are 1/2 MOA all day if I am on.

I have others for my ARFs and M16s but they are more for shooting close and less than 300M (my readily available max range).

I am just looking for a barrel, I have an upper to put it on and I also know what handguard and flash suppressor I plan to use, I would like it to be something I can shoot some larger grain bullets through at pretty good distances. what kind of range/accuracy are most 18 or 20 inch barrels good for? I would like to be engaging coyotes and rabbits from pretty good distances with this upper. Thanks for all the advice so far!

Don't get a varmint barrel they are too heavy. Call Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering and get him to build you a Douglas SS barrel. Get the contour at .85 under the hand guard and .75 in front of the gas block. I would suggest you get the barrel threaded in case you want to put something on it. You can get a .75 knurled thread protector cheap at midway if you don't have anything to put on it right away.
http://www.compasslake.com/Price%20List.htm

Rock River national match barrels makes bug hole groups.

Something to consider... While the RR NM barrel has outstanding acuraacy, its good for about 3-4000 rounds before accuracy drops off. I just built a 20 inch Govt profile, no BS cheap 1-7 bushmaster barreled upper, and it shot a .88 5 shot group tonight with 55gr VMAX bullets. Being chrome lined it will last at least 3 times longer than a SS match barrel.

Which brings me to this point. Is it really worth spending a several hundred bucks more to make groups smaller than .88? Unless you are going to shoot in a competition where you NEED the accuracy, go with a Bushmaster chrome lined barrel. More than likely it will be every bit as precise as you are. The entire barrel assembly to include handguards, and gas tube cost me $220 bucks.

Barrel length does not really impact accuracy much if at all. You can shoot tiny groups with different lengths.

Barrel length does impact:
1. Noise: the shorter barrels are quite a bit louder than 20" or 24"
2. Gas system required: rifle, midlength, or short. The rifle length system is the most reliable and cycles most gently. The mid-length system(16" & 18" barrels) is quite reliable and cycles a little more forcefully. The short gas system is the least reliable and puts the most wear and tear on your rifle.
3. Muzzle velocity. You can compete well out to 600 yds with a 20" barrel. You will need a 26" barrel to compete at 1000 yards. I see people use a 16" barrel to compete in our 500 yard prone matches. Sure they can use it....it is a disadvantage.

My bottom line: you can't beat an "old-school" 20" barrel for the best of all worlds. It is quiet, reliable, shoots great out to 600 and is just a pleasure to shoot.

CLE & WOA are where I would shop if you want the best.