• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" AR15 Barrel Help

Inzaneriderz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Mechanicsburg, PA United States
Hey everyone, I recently got the itch to build another AR15, however this will be my first 20" barrel. I want to have the capability to shoot to maybe 600 yards with very repeatable groupings. I am really looking for accuracy on this build and wondering if the heavy profile barrels are worth it. I have a 16" Lothar Walther barrled AR that is .750 diameter that shoots pretty lights out sub MOA, so I am wondering if the barrel I looked at a gun show this past weekend (Lilja w/ .936 straight taper)is worth the $500 price tag over a regular profile? Other than being 20" in length I would like it to be 1/8 twist, threaded in 1/2x28 for my AAC-SD suppressor, rifle length gas system, maybe fluted but wouldn't have to be. Just curious if you guys had any suggestions on the heavy profile barrels or should I just stick to the .750 gas block size barrels? If I go this route it will probably be a rainier arms ultramatch or White Oak Armament. Thanks in advance

Re: 20" AR15 Barrel Help

I suggest the Noveske 5.56mm 20inch medium varmint barrel for you. Look at Rainier arms and RA gun works to see if they have it in stock. I know it doesnt come pre-threaded but you could always have it threaded by ADCO so its done right.

Well as a competitive shooter who practices on the short ranges, ie. 500 yards where I keep my rifles zero'd at. I can chime in a bit. If consistency is really what your looking for and you want the most accuracy possible out of hunk of steel you want to put on the front of your rifle, consider a cut rifled barrel and not using your suppressor or a flash hider of any kind but a nice target crown in 11 degrees.

Also consider the ammo you will be shooting and the chamber reamer you use to cut the barrel. Most "generic" manufacturers use chambers with crazy clearances to help people shoot many different styles and types of ammunition that can be found within any 1 caliber. A good reamer will make all the difference. Tighter tollerances allow a much more accurate bore with level pressure distributions on your brass,

oh yea, and as a bonus, your brass will last way longer the less it has to stretch.

With that being said,

I would absolutely spend the money on a Krieger, no way a lilja,got half a dozen of them on various F-Class rifles that are now sitting in my gun safes in the Krieger boxes that the new barrels came in...

Let someone reputable do the chamber job, call up Frank White at compass lake and tell him what you want, he does great work, and his prices are relatively affordable for gas gun barrels.

Just my two cents
smile.gif

Couldn't agree more. Accuracy barrels are a bit of a different world than the standard AR15.com crowd stuff. As to the Lilja, you're not paying extra for a different contour, you're paying for a better quality barrel. As for weight, no Bull barrels do not shoot better than lighter weight barrels; good quality barrels shoot better than poorly (cheaply) made barrels. Contour or profile is a separate issue entirely, and yes give two barrels of the same quality, then I'd say the heavier barrel probably has an accuracy advantage. But don't compare a Lilja, Satern, Krieger or any other high end single point cut rifled barrel to the mass produced buttoned blaster barrels, and make the decision based on price alone. Guaranteed way to disappointment, no question about that.

The recommendation of Frank White is also a good one. Frank or John Holliger at White Oak Armaments are probably our two top builders for competitve ARs. The vast majority of the guns on the line at Perry most likely came from one of these two sources. Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks was the third, but he's taking things a bit easier these days. Fourth place builder? Don't know, don't care. Either of these guys will get you set up right, the first time around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDStroup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest the Noveske 5.56mm 20inch medium varmint barrel for you. Look at Rainier arms and RA gun works to see if they have it in stock. I know it doesnt come pre-threaded but you could always have it threaded by ADCO so its done right. </div></div>

I purchased a Noveske upper through the snipers hide group buy and it was a very smooth transaction. I believe it is still running, if you are thinking Noveske that could be an option.

I love the 20" barrels and have been testing 4. Two are the LW barrels with one being a LR Stealth and the other not famous maker. My third is a Krieger and all three shoot 77gn SMKs under 1/2" with the only limitation being that I'm still learning to shoot gas guns. The forth is a Criterion that I just acquired and it seems to shoot, but, to soon to tell. Regards

I really like my Rainier Ultra Match SDM 20". I have a review of my AR15 on here with the barrel. She has a tight group.

I have a WOA 20" S-DMR barrel that I'm very happy with. I think they offer it both in 1-7 and 1-8. It is heavier under the handguard and fluted. Worth the visit to their website. Good luck.

I also have the WOA SDM 1/7 and it is extremely accurate.
I would be equally happy with the Rainier Arms 1/8 version too.
Can't go wrong either way.