• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" barrel deer, blk bear, elk < 700 yard chambering?

Jim the Plumber

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Looking to build up a dedicated hunting rifle for the above critters. I'll be using a left hand Rem 700 long action for the build. Looking for chambering recommendations. I want the short barrel as I'll be running it suppressed 100% of the time.

I have similar criteria and I like a new wildcat cartridge called 308 Winchester :)

I agree. Long action gives lots of room to seat VLD's, not much in the woods a 308 won't kill under 700 yards and it's pretty efficient in 20" barrels.

If your heart's set on a magnum or your just stuck with a magnum bolt face I'd be tempted to try a SAUM (6.5 or 7 SAUM anyone?) or maybe a WSM. I just can't wrap my head around a big long action magnum like the 300 Win or the 7 Rem and the extra powder over a short mag to use a 20" barrel AND try to suppress it. Seems like stuffing a big block in a Miata with skinny tires.

Consider one of the WSM's or REM SAUM's. It is likely that the short, fat case designs of the short mags are more efficient allowing the use of a shorter barrel for a complete powder burn. I am sure that a .300 win mag, or any other long magnum caliber in a 20" barreled rifle is fun and handy...however, the downside is reduced muzzle velocity. A short mag may allow the use of a shorter barrel without giving up much MV.

If you want to just keep this simple, get a .308 which will be plenty for your stated application and loses considerably less velocity in a 20" barrel length.

jim
you might like to try a .284 win.
great selection of hunting bullets and enough hp to send them at realistic hunting velocity.
the long action makes the oal easier to deal with as well
7mm saum if you want a magnum, but i dont know how it performs in a short barrel/suppressed. mine was a 24in with a brake.

My sporter is a 20" Rem 700 30-06. 208 AMax at 2600 fps.

At 700 yards, ballistics are still 1880 fps/1630 ft-lbs.

Attachments

• 20inch3006.jpg
    20inch3006.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Jim,

Because I like re-inventing the wheel, I'd go with a short magnum in a long action. In particular, I'd take the tried and true .350 Remington Magnum and neck it up to .375 caliber (.375-.350 Remington Magnum). This has been done for decades and is known for being a potent hunting cartridge.

The one modern upgrade I'd do is to load the .375 caliber 350 grain Sierra Match Kings at maximum allowable length. These bullets are so long that this can only be done using a long action. But seating to maximum length frees up the cartridge to hold its full potential of powder. And the resulting cartridge is so straight walled that you can get complete powder burn in your desired short 20 inch hunting barrel.

One problem is that some internet sources are saying that these projectiles need 1:8 twist barrels. Rare birds but I think Pac-Nor actually makes this combination.

.375 caliber 350 grain Sierra MatchKings basic data:
616626.jpg

Overall Length: 1.780"
Ogive Length: .930"
Boat Tail Length: .300"
Bearing Surface: .550"

sierra375350a.jpg

fwiw: Here's some hunting cartridge reading for you.
The Other Dangerous Game

jim,

because i like re-inventing the wheel, i'd go with a short magnum in a long action. In particular, i'd take the tried and true .350 remington magnum and neck it up to .375 caliber (.375-.350 remington magnum). This has been done for decades and is known for being a potent hunting cartridge.

The one modern upgrade i'd do is to load the .375 caliber 350 grain sierra match kings at maximum allowable length. These bullets are so long that this can only be done using a long action. But seating to maximum length frees up the cartridge to hold its full potential of powder. And the resulting cartridge is so straight walled that you can get complete powder burn in your desired short 20 inch hunting barrel.

One problem is that some internet sources are saying that these projectiles need 1:8 twist barrels. Rare birds but i think pac-nor actually makes this combination.

.375 caliber 350 grain sierra matchkings basic data:
616626.jpg

overall length: 1.780"
ogive length: .930"
boat tail length: .300"
bearing surface: .550"

sierra375350a.jpg

fwiw: Here's some hunting cartridge reading for you.
the other dangerous game

Instead of thwack you get a THWACK!!!!!!

Last edited:
On a long action standard bolt face I'd go with the 280 AI. Mag bolt face go with 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum.

I love that new wildcat 308 in 20" i liked it so much I have 1 in a 22" also.

one thing to say about this cartridge, it can kill anything in north america. but IMO little overkill for deer since I've seen pics of deer shot with 50bmg, I know its not a 50bmg power but it has a lot of it. plus recoil is going to noticeable

Last edited:
not a heck of a lot the 30-06 cant do...

I second the 30-06. Remember you can almost always get 30-06 and if something happens, or you forget your ammo at home you can always fine a box of that stuff.

Do you already have the action in hand?

Do you have the can?

Do you reload?

If you have a standard long action, I would recommend the 280Rem or 30.06. If you reload I would recommend a 338.06. Or 338Fed or 300wsm necked up to 338. I am not a ballistic magician but I believe these would all work out of a 20" tube. Why go magnum case capacity out of a 20" other than possible a WSM that seem to perform OK out of shorter barrels.

If you can place a quality bullet in the kill zone, caliber has little importance. Of course some fly better than others but its still placing a quality bullet down range into the engine room.

+1 on the 30-06. Years ago, Remy made a 20" barreled model 700 with iron sights; you can still find them on GB once in a while.

Jim,

Since you have the choice of bolt faces then I'd go something 7mm, and since you're looking for handy, I'd do 280 Rem (or the AI version).

You have ample performance for shooting the ineviatable "see that rock out thar?" as well as dropping everything you're looking for. The 30-06 in 20" like MontanaMarine mentioned would only improve if you went to a 7mm pill instead. Since I doubt you're concerned about the barrel life for this rig you've got nothing to worry about.

There are 3 concerns that come up with the 300WM, 7RM, and the inevitable WSM/SAUM discussion:

1) 300WM & 7RM at 20" or less may pose issues with the suppressor as many manufacturers won't rate their 30c cans for that kind of punch. Yours may or may not fall into that category, I don't know.

2) Some folks get concerned over reloading for a belt, again, I don't know if you do, I don't.

3) I really don't like putting the WSM family into the 700 action. The body diameter and resultant bolt thrust loads are really high, you can get the same or better performance from the calibers listed in #2 so why tempt fate, deal with thick necked brass, and goofy feeding for some mag systems.

If you DO go with a WSM case and you're interested in a 7mm then let me know via PM and I'll send my long action 7/300WSM reamer and GO over to your rifle builder. It will throw a 165gr class bullet well in excess of 3000fps, makes a helluva punch on animals.

I have other reamers as well that I'm happy to lend, we can take that discussion offline if you're interested.

LOL @ Kirk. I started this thread while waiting on things to settle down after hiking into a bear spot. I have contacted Travis @ RBros rifles and he is going to put a 300WM barrel on my lefty 700.
After more thinking and less impulse, I'll have it threaded for @ 22" a can, ( mine are rated for the 300WM bohem), and pick and choose when I go lite and when I go quite.
I have a FG ADL mountain stock, 2.5-10X32 NF, and will have the barrel a #2 all to keep weight in check. Also I have a crazy amount of 300 WM components so I'm going with that chambering.

What's wrong with the plain old boring 30/06? Bullet choices from 110 to 220 grains and with the right powder choice (if you reload) I don't see a more logical choice. Remember the only reason the Army replaced the 06 with the 308 is not because it was more accurate it was simply so it could fit in their new fangled detachable M14 magazine easier and it could shoot and cycle the standard 150 gr. spitzer hardball that the Garand was already running (and many other accounting and political reasons). Also remember very few DOD decisions are made on best performance for the soldier but on logistics and accounting ( I know a little bit about this I worked 23 yrs. in DOD). I think many people overlook the 30/06 because it's been around forever and seems kind'uv boring and maybe I'm missing something because I am no expert shooter. By the way one last item. When I was in the "Sandbox" I had many a marksman proclaim to me they sure wish they had their good ole 30/06 Winchester, Remington, Ruger etc. deer rifle loaded with 200 or 220 gr. roundnose for those close up behind a barrier encounters.