• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

20" Bartlein CLE 1-7.7 AR15 Build

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    I finally got my CLE Bartlein 223 AR build done and 125rd down the barrel so I could get on to load development. While the barrel shot some tight groups during the initial 125rd break in, it has really settled in nicely and sped up roughly 60fps once it got over 120rd. Today I shot load OCW tests with the 73 ELD-M with Varget, TAC and 8208XBR. 8208XBR continues to be the winner with every precision AR barrel I test. A combination of speed, accuracy and SD's top every other powder I test. Here's the build info and OCW tests:

Compass Lake Engineer 20" Bartlein 1-7.7 Service Rifle Contour CLE Chamber RIfle Gas
    BCM MOD4 Forged Upper Receiver (Barrel thermofit and bed with 609)
    Aero Precision Gen2 Forged Lower Receiver
    Rubber City Armory M16 Black Nitride+ BCG (bolt headspaced to barrel)
    SLR SOLO Hybrid 16" MLOK Handguard
    SLR Sentry 7 AGB
    Seekins Melonite Rifle Length Gas Tube
    BCM MOD3 CH
    Geissele SD-E
    Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector
    Battle Arms Development Magazine Release
    Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch
    Rugged Suppressors 2 Port 1/2-28 QD Brake
    JP Gen2 SCS Tuned with spring kit and 1 Tungsten Weight
    Magpul PRS Stock
    ERGO Tactical Deluxe
    Strike Industries AR Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover
    ASC 20rd Stainless Steel Magazines 2.316" COAL
    Seekins PMR 35MM 1.265" Rings
    Vortex Gen1 Razor HD 5-20x50 Mil/Mil
    Harris S-BRM Bipod
    Upper, Lower and Handguard cerakoted Snipers Grey
    Barrel cerakoted Graphite Black

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/BnQgapr.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/pE6zW6J.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/UHPulXo.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/jJiBOGw.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    Those results look nice. I just rebarreled my service rifle with a cle bartlein 1-7 Wylde. I haven’t had a chance to do load development yet but your post is very encouraging.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Those results look nice. I just rebarreled my service rifle with a cle bartlein 1-7 Wylde. I haven’t had a chance to do load development yet but your post is very encouraging.

Put 120rd through it first before doing any development. Mine sped up 60fps and really tightened up after 120rd.

Looks like you got a good one there. I’ve had great success with the 73 gr eld’s and xbr 8208 as well in a 18 inch Rainer ultra match.

Have same barrel setup on my take down rifle. You are much further along than I am though.

Good information, much appreciated.

As an aside my 77gr SMK load is 23.2 of 8208 XBR.

Last edited:
    Looks like you got a good one there. I’ve had great success with the 73 gr eld’s and xbr 8208 as well in a 18 inch Rainer ultra match.

I had great success with the 73's and 8208 in my 20" Rainier Ultramatch as well. They did not shoot well at all in my WOA's which love 77smk and 8208.

Can I rent that 8208XBR target and show it to my friends as mine LOL?

Two questions; 1) what is the pull weight on the Geissele trigger? and 2) did you experiment with the tungsten weights on the JP SCS set up, or just go with the one tungsten weight? On that last question, I am curious whether you perceive much difference in the set up of the buffer spring given the loads you are running?

Can I rent that 8208XBR target and show it to my friends as mine LOL?

Two questions; 1) what is the pull weight on the Geissele trigger? and 2) did you experiment with the tungsten weights on the JP SCS set up, or just go with the one tungsten weight? On that last question, I am curious whether you perceive much difference in the set up of the buffer spring given the loads you are running?

Everyone has a price....LOL

Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced Trigger Flat Trigger: 2.3lbs 1st Stage and 1.3lbs 2nd Stage. This is my favorite precision AR15/AR10 trigger. I own 5 of them and absolutely love them. Especially the flat trigger.

Yes, I did a bunch of testing with the SCS spring. Specifically with the Tungsten weights and spring pack. Tuning was done to minimize case head damage (swipes, ejector marks and scrapes). With a standard AR15 rifle length buffer and spring the rifle shoots just as good but more felt recoil and more case had damage. With the stock JP SCS it runs super smooth but has swipes. With 2 tungsten weights and various springs it had too much felt recoil and needed the gas too far open. With one tungsten weight and the yellow spring (I believe) there is ZERO marks on the case head, super soft and super smooth shooting and gas open minimally to lock back on last round. With this combination you would think the brass was shot in a bolt gun.

Very Nice... those are some very impressive groups.

""Only accurate rifles are interesting"..... Townsend Whelen

Very aroused, looking forward to seeing the final load in action! Maybe you could do a MOA challenge or two to wipe those MF Larues off the top finally over on ARFCOM.

Very nice rig Padom, and great shooting! I hope my 18" Rainier ultra match SPR contour is capable of that type of accuracy. Can't wait to get rolling with load development as soon as I'm able...