• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" Hbar barrel vs 24" bull barreled ar-15

Southwind

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
Wellington, KS
Looking to build another upper dedicated to bench/prone shooting. I currently have a 16" and an 18" SPR. The 18" likes 23.5gr of XBR with the 75gr HPBT and gives me 2670fps. This new upper will never be lumped through the woods so weight is not an issue with me. I know all barrels are different, but at the 20-24" lengths will I gain much velocity with the 24 over the 20"? I want to stick with .223 so not interested in any wildcats at this time. Will either of those really out perform my 18" spr? Plan on using the 75 and xbr on this rifle too.

thx, Steve

You will gain about 100fps with 24" over the 20", and if it's strictly for bench I would say go for it!!

Agree. 24" is a good length for bench shooting, which I don't do, except to zero a rifle. I would pay more attention to the type of barrel and maker than the length. A Kreiger, Bartelein, Lilja are great. I would look for .93" to the gas block, in terms of taper, and .750 gas block rifle length tube, and no less than .65 to the muzzle, and a good crown, 11*. For ammo, it will depend upon length of the shoot, but at >250 yrds, I would expect a 1:7 twist and love the Black Hills 77grain tipped.

My thoughts.

24" 1:8" with HDY 75gr HPBT-Match handloads is good at 600yd; Win Brass, CCI BR-4, 24.4gr Varget, OAL at magazine length. The Stag Model 6 Super Varminter offers a 1/2MOA Factory Guarantee assuming factory match ammo. This rifle meets the guarantee with Prvi-Partizan/PPU 69gr and 75gr Match.

A good friend likes my rifle and very recently built an Upper using the Stoner 24" 1:8" varmint contour barrel on special from Midway. He test fired it with the above handload and likes the performance. It's still early, but it looks like he's gonna do fine.

Greg

Last edited:
If using 8208 you may not benefit as much from barrel length as it's on the faster side.

I have a 20" DMR with krieger barrel and 24" bolt gun with bartlien. The bolt gun shoots the same ammo a little slower than the DMR despite longer barrel.

Thx for the responses. I have a 24" bull barrel on order. I also have plenty of varget in case the xbr does not work well in the longer barrel.

Someday I'm going to use up the last of my already loaded .223, and my Varget on standby. I will then start on my the trek into the land of CFE223.

When I bring up my 9mm reloading setup, it'll be using CFEPistol.

There will never be bare lead inside my handgun barrels. BTDT with my 45ACP's decades ago. Never again.

Greg

I have a White Oak 18" SPR barrel that will shoot the same 77gr OTM load with XBR within 60 FPS out my 24" factory bushmaster. If you factor in the SD its within 50 FPS. Could be partially my load, but it runs 2695-2710 and goes where its pointed further then it should

Your mileage may vary