• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" heavy or 18 inch medium for DPMS 308

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
Looking at these two barrels from Criterion, a 20 inch hvy and a 18 inch medium from Fulton, anyone have experience on these two barrels? I need it to fill the gap out to 500 - 600 yards (or further).

What will you be doing with it?

Bro.... Ive always said 18 or 20 is perfect....really cant go wrong with either. I think the way i would decide is if it is going to be 100% bench rifle for target shooting??? Or if you might use it for some type of hunting above and beyond target pactice. If used for only target shooting then get the 20 inch. If you might use for possible hunting above and beyond target shooting then get the 18 inch. All of my ar rifles are rocking either 18 or 20.. Youre on the right track my friend.

Yeah I replaced the 556 AR barrel with a 20 incher just because I am old army and like the 20 incher, it does shoot better groups with the 77 gr smk. I would love to have a 22 inch or 20 inch middle weight barrel vs the 20 inch hvy weight.

The 18 inch barrel is a 10 twist, the 20 inch is a 12 twist, I nomally shoot 168/175 gr smk or amaxes, I am thinking the 10 twist in an 18 would be better yes?

18" 1/10 is my vote for ya! Always tighter twist for me. Heavier bullets with better Coefficients are the way to go. Heavier bullets have Slower initial fps but that changes 200-300 yards down range when they keep their velocity. Slower bullets are better for barrel life too

Given those 2 choices I'd vote with the others for the 18" 1/10. But having to make that choice myself recently, I ended up with a 20" medium weight Lilja 1/11. Love it.

Given those 2 choices I'd vote with the others for the 18" 1/10. But having to make that choice myself recently, I ended up with a 20" medium weight Lilja 1/11. Love it.

Lilja is a awesome barrel, I live in Montana so the Lilja barrel makers are only a few hundred miles away. The next custom barrel I am going to get is going to be a Lilja. How is that barrel working out for ya? I have only herd great things about them.

With that 1/10 twist you can shoot 200gr +. I was shooting 208gr Amax out of my 18" M&p10 which has a 1/10, and they shot well out of my BRO that has a 1/11.

Lilja is a awesome barrel, I live in Montana so the Lilja barrel makers are only a few hundred miles away. The next custom barrel I am going to get is going to be a Lilja. How is that barrel working out for ya? I have only herd great things about them.

Only recently traded out the Criterion bull for it. I've only shot some FGGM 168 SMK's with it so far and it shoots really well. Much lighter also. Will be reloading some rounds for it soon and will try some 175 smk's and I have some 168 Berger hybrids to try. I have a 223 Lilja on an AR15 that I have over 5,000 rounds through and it is a hammer on a p dog.

The 18 inch barrel is a 10 twist, the 20 inch is a 12 twist, I nomally shoot 168/175 gr smk or amaxes, I am thinking the 10 twist in an 18 would be better yes?

Yes 18" all day long, you will only be loosing about 50fps from the 20". The benefits of a shorter lighter better balanced gun to me is well worth the small lose in fps. 1/10 is a great all around twist, it will shoot the 168's as well as the heavier 200+ bullets

18 brother you can still get out to 1000 with an 18 all day long. However if you plan on adding a break and or can and the barrel is not threaded I would go with a 20 so after its all said and done you wont be under 18 in.

I personally will never own a sub-18" barreled 308, and prefer the 20" barrels on AR platforms, and 24" on bolt guns.

Well, I found a black Hole barrel at 20" 11 twist LR barrel profile, it has polygonal rifling R3 it looks like, any feedback on these barrels?

Black Hole Weaponry : 20" 308B LR Profile Rifle Length Gas System .750 Gas Block - 1x11 Twist - $309.95

I have 2 Black hole P3 barrels 1/8 twist in 5.56, and they are both sub-moa. I haven't used there 308 barrels, but I would think that they are just as good. Every gun that I have with polygonal rifling even two of my pistols shot extremely well. If their wait time is less than some of the other popular barrel makers, I would give them a try.

Looking at these two barrels from Criterion, a 20 inch hvy and a 18 inch medium from Fulton, anyone have experience on these two barrels? I need it to fill the gap out to 500 - 600 yards (or further).

MY 18" Fulton Armory FAR10 is a true half minute gun. Love it. Recommended.

MY 18" Fulton Armory FAR10 is a true half minute gun w/ 168 Hornady A-max.. Love it. Recommended. I went 18" becuz I was suppressing it.

I ended up going with the 18" Criterion from FA, I ordered the Black Hole but got nervous about the R3 rifling so I cancelled it and ordered the Criterion, I kind of like the idea of a mid weight barrel and 10 twist. Thanks for all the info gents.

I have an 18" 1/10 twist light contour and it is perfect all the way out to 800 yards but short enough for tactical.

I have to say that I've been really impressed with DPMS rifles lately. Some of the best groups have been shot with these rifles in Elfsters shootout in this forum. I would go 18" and call it a day. Great rifle.

I ended up going with the 18" Criterion from FA, I ordered the Black Hole but got nervous about the R3 rifling so I cancelled it and ordered the Criterion, I kind of like the idea of a mid weight barrel and 10 twist. Thanks for all the info gents.

I think that you will be happy with your choice, I was nervous about the Black Hole barrel too but I'm glad I got them they are very accurate. Let know how it does when you get it.

totally! 18" to 20" with 1:10 is the ticket for 7.62x51.... IMO anything over 20" is just extra weight you don't need in terms of an AR platform.

as for 5.56, I'm sold on 18" to 20" in 1:8

I'm another fan of the 18" 1:10. I'm not surprised to see the vast majority of guys here are as well.

I feel bad cancelling, but I just could not find a whole lot on the BHW, when I am done burning out my FA 20 on my 5.56 I will give them a shot.

I think that you will be happy with your choice, I was nervous about the Black Hole barrel too but I'm glad I got them they are very accurate. Let know how it does when you get it.

I just received a Mega Arms 20" 1:10 .308 barrel, rifle length gas system. I plan on installing it this weekend and hopefully getting in a range trip as well.

At $300ish, and threaded 5/8-24, the price is right, and they guarantee 1MOA groups with factory match ammo. The only thing I'd change is to have the barrel dimpled the barrel for a set screw, out of the box.

My last build was with a Bartlien 5R 1/10 twist. One of the best barrels I ever owned .5 MOA from the 1st group I shot, and got better the more I used it. Lothar Walther also makes great barrels. These two are the best barrel makers IMHO.