• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 Inch Predator Pursuit Upgrades needed

lapua

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Sugar Land Texas
Hey guys I wnated to get some advice from some of the experts on here. I have a RRA 20 Inch Predator and want to upgrade a few items and wanted your advice and opinions.

Was looking at the yankee hill Quad
Should I replace the charging handle or just add a Tac latch
I was looking at the Burris removable scope mount.
Pop Up sights

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks Guys in advance

Re: 20 Inch Predator Pursuit Upgrades needed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tex1stshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I wnated to get some advice from some of the experts on here. I have a RRA 20 Inch Predator and want to upgrade a few items and wanted your advice and opinions.

Was looking at the yankee hill Quad
<span style="color: #FF0000">Good choice.</span>
Should I replace the charging handle or just add a Tac latch
<span style="color: #FF0000">Either or. Just the latch is certainly cheaper. </span>
I was looking at the Burris removable scope mount.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Garbage. Look at LaRue or American Defense. </span>
Pop Up sights
<span style="color: #FF0000">If you want, but kind of silly on a varmint rig </span>

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks Guys in advance

</div></div>

Have you addressed the shittiest part of it yet?
The trigger?

What are you using it for? Varmits, punching paper, safe queen? Might help you get some better direction if we knew its intended purpose.

It will be used for varmints and hogs. Some target but mostly field.I am really into the bolt rifles got this mainly for the cheap ammo and my 6 yr old can handle it. Have not addresed the trigger yet there're a lot of options out there. Still need to get a scope was hoping to get in on the SWFA SS but forgot and missed the deadline.

I would steer clear of the YHM tube. I had one at it constantly loosened even with loc tite. Id suggest a Larue, DD M4 or Lite, Troy, or VTAC over YHM. Larue and DD and a bit more than the YHM but the Troy and VTAC are right there in the same price bracket and are much better designs.

For charging handle I would just replace it with the BCM gunfighter. By time you spend $25 on a tac latch to put on a $20 charging handle your at the same price. Price aside if you put a tac latch on a standard charging handle I can gaurantee you it will spread open over time causing a loose latch fit and wirst of all the pin pops right out and you have no latch. The design of the gunfighter corrects this as it absolutely cannot spread. I'd get the BCM and either sell yours or keep it as a spare.

The Burris mount isn't horrible but it's far from a quality mount. I'd spend the cash for a ADM, Larue, or Bobro. I'd even buy the Armalite mount over the Burris.

Back up iron sights are a good idea too. Troy, KAC, YHM and other companies all make good ones.

Troy Vtac rail and Troy sights. BCM latch. American Defense mount if you don't want to drop the bucks on a Larue. You can find the LMT two stage triggers for around $125 if you search the various boards, or you can get the new geissele S2S trigger.

Thanks for the advice I have no experience with the LMT triggers or the Geissele. Is there a major difference from the 2 stage RRA that came with this rifle? I have a Timney trigger that is set at 4 lbs installed in a Ar-10 300 SAUM I might just swap it out with the RRA 2 stage.

LMT's and Geissele are both very nice trigger. The problem with the RRA two stage is they wear very quick compared to all the other two stages. It's not uncommon to get a couple hundred rounds through one and all of a sudden it's full auto or bursting.

Are AR15 and AR10 trigger interchangable? I didn't think they were but I've never had a AR10 trigger out to compare it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMT's and Geissele are both very nice trigger. The problem with the RRA two stage is they wear very quick compared to all the other two stages. It's not uncommon to get a couple hundred rounds through one and all of a sudden it's full auto or bursting.

Are AR15 and AR10 trigger interchangable? I didn't think they were but I've never had a AR10 trigger out to compare it. </div></div>

HUH???

I've got an RR two stage and after I polished the sear I think it's a fine trigger.
Is it the end all be all match trigger, nocertainly not but to me I've never felt the need to upgrade it.
Now this is for my 16" RR that I do not use for groups or paper punching, I see it as a mid to close range battle rifle so it doesn't need a high dollar trigger in it.
I have a Grendel that's coming and it will have a Geissele in it.
When I get it then I can judge the difference between them but I've never felt that the RR two stage was a bad trigger, especially after I polished the sear.
If you wanted to lighten up the RR a bit you can just buy the spring kit from JP and polish the sear and you've got a whole different animal.

Not taking anything away from Geissele or JP triggers, they are great triggers from what I hear but not everyone needs the absolute best trigger and not everyone has/wants to drop the money for them either.
If you do, great they are the cats meow.
I caved and ordered one for my grendel but I still feel the RR is a fine trigger and if worked over it's actually a darn pretty nice trigger.

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a Timney skeleton 3.5 lb trigger,badger tac latch, magpul prs. American defense mount, harris bipod and SS HD on the way. I am not sure about the fore grip yet since it's a varmint rifle I am not really going to mount lights so it would really be the cool factor if I got one , but they do look cool !

Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tex1stshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a Timney skeleton 3.5 lb trigger,badger tac latch, magpul prs. American defense mount, harris bipod and SS HD on the way. I am not sure about the fore grip yet since it's a varmint rifle I am not really going to mount lights so it would really be the cool factor if I got one , but they do look cool !

Thanks again </div></div>

Sounds great. Post up some pics so we can see where our advice went.

I have personnaly run several thousand rounds through several rra 2 stage triggers (including a few carbine classes) and had no problems out of them. I also have a few buddies that run them too. I also have a geissele in a larue obr and it is also good trigger but I honestly cant tell much difference.

I think the rra 2 stage is fine, my 2 cents.

And yes your RRA 2 stage will fit in an AR10, About the only parts that do swap.

Have never heard of a RRA going auto. Internet rumor maybe?

I did drop one of my rra 2 stage triggers into a remington/dpms .308 ar and it was too light for that aplication. You could easily double with that trigger in that rifle. Essentially a bump fire. Not an issue if you were properly behind the rifle and held the trigger to the rear after you broke the shot but not safe enough to leave in that gun.

To be clear the trigger would not malfunction, but it was too easy to get a second shot if you let the rifle bounce off of your shoulder and you werent holding the trigger to the rear.