• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 20 MOA base on XTR II?

SomeRandomDude

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
I recently purchased a Burris and ordered a 20 MOA NF base, but after reading the manual I see that the XTR is already centered 20 MOA low from the factory.

So my question is should I cancel my order and get a flat base? I don't want to be in the lower extreme of my adjustment range huh?

No, keep the 20 MoA base.

What they are saying is that, rather than leaving the reticle perfectly centered in the scope they have already adjusted it to compensate for a 20 MoA base. So when you go to zero it, you will be something roughly approximating the proper elevation, and not have a point of impact 20 MoA high.

Last edited:
What's posted above is correct.

you still need the 20 moa base to gain the adjustment of the optic

It's been my experience that Burris scopes come perfectly centered windage wise. This weekend I put new 4-20 XTR2's on two custom rfiles in 6.5 creedmoor and 338 norma. Both were built with Defiance actions, Bartlein barrels, XLR chassis', and have Seekins rings. The creedmoor was exactly 1 mil high and perfectly centered windage wise at 100 yards. The 338 norma was 1.2 mil high and only 0.1 mil left. Talk about perfection in the manufacturing and machine work...

Burris "perfection in manufacturing and machine work" because they spin the elevation turret approximately 20 MOA off center prior to putting them in the box?

You're kidding, right! Seriously, this must just be a tongue in cheek comment.

Last edited:
Burris "perfection in manufacturing and machine work" because they spin the elevation turret approximately 20 MOA off center prior to putting them in the box?

LOL. Exactly. But I will say I was pretty damn lucky that it worked out so well.

I took that differently. Based on his first sentence.

I thought he was commenting on the fact that the windage was damn near dead nuts. Not the fact that 20MoA was already dialed in.

so you have to buy a 20 moa scope i just ordered a xtr 2

You don't have to buy a 20 MoA base. But it's by far the most common base used for these types of optics. So Burris, as well as some other manufacturers preset the elevation to compensate for the base.

If you don't opt for a 20 MoA base just bare in mind you will start out about 20" low at 100 yards.

How are these scopes tracking. I’m looking at maybe picking one up.

Tracking is close enough to perfect I can't see any error in any of mine. When I put a Burris base on my son's Bergara B14 HMR to mount a XTRII 3-15, it took me several rounds to figure out what was wrong. The Burris base was a 25 MOA rail, not 20. My Bad. :)

Tracking is close enough to perfect I can't see any error in any of mine. When I put a Burris base on my son's Bergara B14 HMR to mount a XTRII 3-15, it took me several rounds to figure out what was wrong. The Burris base was a 25 MOA rail, not 20. My Bad. :)

It's funny, the things we do to trip ourselves up ;)

What height rings did you use? I’m trying to figure out what height for the 4-20. Do you have any pics of the space left between the bell and the barrel? Midway told me .3” but that doesn’t sound remotely correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I had some dumb beginner's luck, but when I put a 4-20 Burris XTR II on my Tikka T3 6.5 Creedmoor in MDT ESS chassis with the 20 MOA MDT base (that's the only base they had for it) my 100 yard zero was at the bottom of the adjustment range and it has worked really well for me so far. I also used a set of High rings and the clearance for the fore end and was what I wanted and I can get a good, solid position behind the eyepiece without running the cheekpiece on the stock up too high. I haven't found anything that I would change about it yet.

What height rings did you use? I’m trying to figure out what height for the 4-20. Do you have any pics of the space left between the bell and the barrel? Midway told me .3” but that doesn’t sound remotely correct.

There's is no single correct answer to that. It depends on the type of rifle, stock or chassis, etc. If you are talking a basic bolt gun in a traditional stock with an exposed barrel on top, then a 1" to 1.2" ring will most likely suffice. The .3 distance given to you by Midway as a gap measurement between the top of your barrel and the bottom of your objective bell housing is a fair one. I wouldn't want more than that though personally. A .125 to .25" is sufficient.

There's is no single correct answer to that. It depends on the type of rifle, stock or chassis, etc. If you are talking a basic bolt gun in a traditional stock with an exposed barrel on top, then a 1" to 1.2" ring will most likely suffice. The .3 distance given to you by Midway as a gap measurement between the top of your barrel and the bottom of your objective bell housing is a fair one. I wouldn't want more than that though personally. A .125 to .25" is sufficient.

I should’ve been more specific. It’s going on a Bergara HMR. I wasn’t aware the .3 was referring to the gap. Learn something new everyday. I hadn’t heard anyone reference that before when talking about ring height. I’ll start at the 1” and work from there. Thanks!!!

The reason they referenced the gap is because that's really the only right answer without knowing every detail of your rifle and scope. Those factors determine ring height. So without knowing those things, the only correct answer they can give is shoot for X amount of gap between the scope and the barrel. It's always the right answer ;)

I think the 1" rings will treat you right..

He got some AMR low rings. Plenty of space on this set-up.

Hunter HMR cropped.jpg

How are these scopes tracking. I’m looking at maybe picking one up.

I have two, and they have gotten a lot of turret spinning across a wide range (1000-2000yd shooting). So far they have been tracking very well going on 2 years.

I was just out a couple of days ago to sight in my new 6.5CM RPR with the XTRII 4-20 that I picked up on the Optics Planet black Friday sale. This is my second XTRII, I put a 5-25 on an AR I built for long range shooting a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. I also got a set of Seekins 34mm AR-High 1.45" rings at the same time as the scope. The RPR comes with a 20 MOA rail from the factory, and it seems like that matched up perfectly with the 20MOA offset the scope comes adjusted with. The picture below is the first shots from the new rifle. #1 was almost perfect for elevation and 7" right. I measured with the reticle and made the adjustment, and the picture shows the rest.

It was -8 degrees with a -24 windchill though, so I was a bit rushed and will probably verify it again once the weather is a bit nicer. I left my truck running right next to the bench, and would shoot 5 shots and then hop back in the truck to warm up and reload the magazine.

ednHHVd.jpg